Why become a member? ×

Jack Bruce (ish) EB3 / SG Bass

Andyjr1515

Well, cutting wood at last :D

With my slightly unconventional approach, I finish shape the top - first by band saw and then with hand tools - and then use that as the routing template to finish rout the above back wings. Many other builders do it the other way round, finish routing the top using the back as the guide for the bearing flush trimmer bits. However, I always fear the points of horns of the figured top going 'ping' as the router bit goes round.

Later this evening I will rough cut the top - once the wenge demarcation veneer glue has hardened enough...

Horrible stuff, wenge...great results, though

Realllllly looking promising. Definately will have to work on strap button placement, definately will have to try and keep the neck and headstock weight down (resolites or ultralites?). But you knew that already. I just hope Pete (the comissoner of this bass) isn't after a baseball bat neck!

FWIW I think the first position of the cap is nicer - but that's just me. Let the person who'll be playing it make the final call!

Top is now cut and the sides sanded (top not yet finish sanded):

The wenge demarcation veneer can be seen at the bottom here. I'm hoping the end grain pattern of the mahogany bodes well for when I cut the chamfer! :

The neck has been sanded with my large levelling beam (although to be honest, it didn't need it - two superb quarter grain and beautifully planed mahogany neck splices supplied by David Dyke! Thanks, David :) ) and the walnut centre splice glued, offset by 11mm to form the channel for the truss rod:

...and with that clamped and set, the second outer splice glued and clamped:

It's not often I've made such a lot of progress in one morning - the provision of a small workspace and proper workbench hasn't half made a difference!

Edited by Andyjr1515

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1471100305' post='3110545']
Sorry I'm at it again. The orientation of the top is just right this time Andy. It's one of the little characters from the film 'batteries not included' and she's much happier than the horned Devil was.

[/quote]
Well, I confess that of all the things I could see in the figuring, that wasn't one of them ;)

One of the things I have learned over the builds is to always physically draw the side view in full scale:

I don't do it in huge detail, but to absolutely confirm:[list]
[*]Body depth
[*]Bridge height
[*]Pickup height
[*]Fretboard and fret height
[*]...leading to Neck angle and
[*]Headstock angle
[/list]
This one has come out as a bit of a pleasant surprise....no neck angle required! :D

What's more, I can [i]just [/i]get my minimum comfortable headstock angle (I use 9 degrees as a personal OK minimum) with a single fully thicknessed neck beam:

That will make the thickessing and routing of the through neck SO much easier (and it's a first on any of my builds).

Here's the thicknessed neck:

The reason that all of this helps so much is that I am going to do this a more conventional way than normal -[list]
[*]I normally attach the back to the top, slot the channel for the neck, then set the neck into the complete body assembly. This generally sends decent builders into a state of apoplexy :lol:
[*]But the above relies on the top being flat and stable. The figured mahogany on this build is moving all over the place and I need a stable flat base to clamp it onto when it's gluing
[*]So I am going to glue the squared-up back wings onto the thicknessed and slimmed neck, rout the weight-relief and cable routing chambers, then glue the top onto that flat and prepared surface.
[/list]
Next jobs are to use the thicknesser again to slim down the neck blank, then band-saw the neck profile ready for the wings to be glued on :)

The thicknesser, by the way, was my one 'big' spend when I started doing full builds and I'm pleased I made that decision. There was nothing in the reviews and specs that gave any indication of how fine an increment the Makita 2012NB could maintain. Well, I'm sure it varies but here I thicknessed down 1mm per pass until I was sub 1mm away, and then eased it down to final thickness +/- 0.1mm !!!! It is, of course, just a thicknesser so you don't get over the problem of 'banana in, banana out', but generally I can find a way of creating a decent datum to work from.

Edited by Andyjr1515

Planer-thicknesser is one of the best tools I have ever purchased, should have done it years ago. I have just re-discovered planer 'snipe' with 4' x 8" x 2" mahogany I am starting with. Roller in and out feed has helped but it is time I cut it into the two slabs for jointing.

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1471431092' post='3112977']
Planer-thicknesser is one of the best tools I have ever purchased, should have done it years ago. I have just re-discovered planer 'snipe' with 4' x 8" x 2" mahogany I am starting with. Roller in and out feed has helped but it is time I cut it into the two slabs for jointing.
[/quote]
Yes - a planer thicknesser would absolutely be the ideal...just never had the room (and still don't). I can but dream :rolleyes:

Having now got the neck width slimmed down to finished size, I put the beam into my router jig to cut out the body notch:

So I now have the basic components:

Once the neck has been rough-sawn to shape and everything is tidied up, the wings will be glued - which will be straightforward because the neck here is now the same thickness as the body wings:

Then the control routes and weight relief chambers will be routed into the thru neck/body halves. Then the fancy top will be glued and extremely firmly clamped, with the top being in line with the top of the neck, allowing the fretboard to hide the join:

I like this bit where, at last, it starts looking like a bass!

Edited by Andyjr1515

With your 'one piece' necks, do you 'cut' in neck angle, angle the body wings or have a parallel body-neck alignment? From your builds I am starting to see some advantages of through neck construction, it seems much simpler than tenon joint or routing for bolt on neck. Am I missing something?

Coming along very rapidly. In a good way!

How much do plan on whittling down that neck & headstock? Most nut widths I've seen on SG's seem to be 1.5" - 1.625" - If you're going for the full size gibson/epiphone like headstock e.g.

Looking at them they seem to look a little odd with the skinnier 1.5" nut width and full size headstock.

But looking at the this pic of a long scale SG taken from [url="http://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/bass/2000gibsonSGZ.php"]here[/url] it also seems to be easy to get a "chunky" looking nut with what I imagine is a downsized headstock and wideish nut (at least 1.625"). Asthetics aside it's down to what the customer wants.

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1471461815' post='3113263']
With your 'one piece' necks, do you 'cut' in neck angle, angle the body wings or have a parallel body-neck alignment? From your builds I am starting to see some advantages of through neck construction, it seems much simpler than tenon joint or routing for bolt on neck. Am I missing something?
[/quote]
Personally, I find this much simpler than a bolt on or glued in neck.

This particular one needs no neck angle so the notch is parallel. All of the others I've done have needed an angle but all you do is block up the tail end of the neck in the router jig by the appropriate amount.

I've got a photo somewhere of a similar neck to the above but with an angled notch. When I'm back on the desktop, I'll track it down and post it :)

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1471462782' post='3113277']
Personally, I find this much simpler than a bolt on or glued in neck.

This particular one needs no neck angle so the notch is parallel. All of the others I've done have needed an angle but all you do is block up the tail end of the neck in the router jig by the appropriate amount.

[/quote]

Like it, very simple solution :)

[quote name='PlungerModerno' timestamp='1471462536' post='3113272']
Coming along very rapidly. In a good way!

How much do plan on whittling down that neck & headstock? Most nut widths I've seen on SG's seem to be 1.5" - 1.625" - If you're going for the full size gibson/epiphone like headstock e.g.

Looking at them they seem to look a little odd with the skinnier 1.5" nut width and full size headstock.

But looking at the this pic of a long scale SG taken from [url="http://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/bass/2000gibsonSGZ.php"]here[/url] it also seems to be easy to get a "chunky" looking nut with what I imagine is a downsized headstock and wideish nut (at least 1.625"). Asthetics aside it's down to what the customer wants.
[/quote]
Yes - it's something I need to check with Pete. Personally, I would go for the slimmer one and slim down the headstock accordingly (it's planned to be more an 'in the style of' than a copy )but Pete may have a preference.

[quote name='scojack' timestamp='1471471459' post='3113355']
Andy why no neck angle like the others?
[/quote]
It's simply the bridge. The Gibson three pointer is as flat as a pancake. That, with a relatively thick fretboard blank I've got means that the action can get to zero without an angle.

Cool. I'd say having a neck angle relative to the body will change the feel of playing the bass - making it hang slightly closer with the same shaped body, from what I've felt holding LP style guitars with the angle and some pretty flat backs (like an SG?).

I'd say it's not a major part of the recipie - not as big a deal as bridge placement, and body carve for how a bass will feel when finished.

[quote name='PlungerModerno' timestamp='1471474255' post='3113379']
Cool. I'd say having a neck angle relative to the body will change the feel of playing the bass - making it hang slightly closer with the same shaped body, from what I've felt holding LP style guitars with the angle and some pretty flat backs (like an SG?).

I'd say it's not a major part of the recipie - not as big a deal as bridge placement, and body carve for how a bass will feel when finished.
[/quote]
I think they do feel slightly different. But to me, it is more the height of the strings above the body wood than the neck itself that feels different. In terms of 6string electrics, the tuneomatic guitars (high bridge) tend to have to have neck angles built in (SG and LP both do) and the lower fixed or trem style bridge guitars, like the strat and tele, Ibanez, etc, tend to have zero neck angle.

Whatever, the need or not for a neck angle is entirely to do with the geometry - and is the result of the placement of everything else - rather than a design requirement in its own right. It's fascinating stuff from a builders point of view :)