Why become a member? ×

Calling Wal Officianados......

drTStingray

[quote name='NickA' timestamp='1475786622' post='3148832']
Hey MikesWals .... as the owner of both kinds.. do you find any difference between your "New" and "Old" Wals?

I was with mine (a 1980s 4 string mk 1 fretless) in bass direct this week, where they had a Mk1 and a Mk2 for sale at around £4500 (!!) they told me the new ones are about £5000 and have a two year waiting list and "anyway wouldn't be the same as an old one", hence the increasing value of the original Mk1s. Any truth in that? [/quote]

As Trevor said up above, no truth in that.
When I posted that picture above, I had three old era and three new era Wals. I very recently sold that newer shedua Mk2 on the left, and placed and order for a replacement Mk2 in trans red gloss.
Yes, I have sat with both eras and geeked out measuring and comparing every square inch to each other. All I can say is Paul builds them better, Paul builds perfect Wals, and as mentioned overall lighter weights.
No matter what, I like both eras...but at the going rates I can sure justify the grand more a new one costs.

Edited by mikeswals

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1478003024' post='3165859']
Am I missing something or does the Electric Wood website make no mention of nut width and other spec?
[/quote]

No, it doesn't. That's because you can get the neck profiled to your taste should you wish. On a 4 string it's 42mm nut as standard as I asked Paul about that and neck depth and width before ordering.

On the other hand, it would be useful for people to not have to ask.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1478043470' post='3166389']

I guessed the neck profile might be customisable, but if the nut width is standard at 42mm, it would make sense for them to say so.

I would really like to try one before ordering. Sadly I couldn't make it to the SEBB as I was gigging. Sounds like I missed out big time.
[/quote]

As far as I know right now, Paul might still have one unsold Mk3 4-string and one Mk3 5-string to try out at the workshop.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1478003024' post='3165859']
Am I missing something or does the Electric Wood website make no mention of nut width and other spec?
[/quote]

I would have thought that with each instrument being individually made the specifications can be whatever you want (within reason). Certainly that's the case for other luthiers. When I had my Sei bass made, the first question Martin asked me after we had picked the basic shape was what nut width, string spacing at the bridge and neck profile did I want.

Wal bridges only come in one spacing on their respective string versions, there is no choice.
The nut widths are standard, however anyone that requires something different will usually speak up at order time rather than taking the standard. Same for the neck thickness.

If a standard is a 1-5/8" like on a P Bass or StingRay, then its the same.

• 4 weeks later...

Fellow Wall-ers: what strings would you recommend for a fretless custom (Mk1 4-string in newspeak)?

For years I've had mine strung with round wound Rotosound or Elite Stainless - looking for a bright sound. Now I have a fretted Warwick Dolphin too, which does BRIGHT in spades - and have promised myself never to play slap on the fretless Wal again! And reckon I should probably stop sacrificing the Wal's lovely ebony fingerboard.

Many years ago I dabbled with flat wound ("Swing Bass"?) and "half round" strings and generally hated them due to a lack of zing and the difficulty of playing harmonics. Now, willing sacrifice some "zing" but I still want to play nice bright harmonics (ie SOME hope of hitting the last note in Portrait of Tracey ;¬) )

What do you think? Recommendations please.

[quote name='NickA' timestamp='1480153993' post='3182012']
Fellow Wall-ers: what strings would you recommend for a fretless custom (Mk1 4-string in newspeak)?

For years I've had mine strung with round wound Rotosound or Elite Stainless - looking for a bright sound. Now I have a fretted Warwick Dolphin too, which does BRIGHT in spades - and have promised myself never to play slap on the fretless Wal again! And reckon I should probably stop sacrificing the Wal's lovely ebony fingerboard.

Many years ago I dabbled with flat wound ("Swing Bass"?) and "half round" strings and generally hated them due to a lack of zing and the difficulty of playing harmonics. Now, willing sacrifice some "zing" but I still want to play nice bright harmonics (ie SOME hope of hitting the last note in Portrait of Tracey ;¬) )

What do you think? Recommendations please.
[/quote]

You could try the EB Cobalt flats, very smooth and brighter than you'd expect. I use them on my fretless Stingray and they sound great.

D.