Why become a member? ×

Really low level ableton live lite instructions.

Biglump

Right,
Spent out, feel stupid.
I've got a Focurite Scarlet 2i2 kit.
I cannot get a grip on Ableton Live Lite.
Are there any tutorials that assume you haven't a f****ing clue.

It remembers how it it was last set, and I've probably clicked a teeny tiny button.
And shouting at it doesn't seem to help...

YouTube!

Gazillions of tutorials available for getting started with Ableton. You just need the patience to work through a few of them - it'll soon starting making sense.

Here's one to get you started...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei-EPOHfOgU

• 2 months later...

It's the words.... The F+++++ing words!!!!!!
It's like asking for exactly the right answer, or it won't co-operate.
If I knew exactly the right question then I wouldn't need to ask it in the first place!!!!!
I have a clip which just constantly plays and like Glenn Close in that movie it just won't die.
ARRRGHHHH!!!!!
Is there a way to erase everything back to factory settings?

[quote name='Biglump' timestamp='1475426513' post='3145810']
It's the words.... The F+++++ing words!!!!!!
It's like asking for exactly the right answer, or it won't co-operate.
If I knew exactly the right question then I wouldn't need to ask it in the first place!!!!!
I have a clip which just constantly plays and like Glenn Close in that movie it just won't die.
ARRRGHHHH!!!!!
Is there a way to erase everything back to factory settings?
[/quote]

I've not seen the film, but I guess it means it's playing very slowly ?

Maybe you've changed the sample speed in the sample editor...click on the offending sample and look at the sample box controls

See the pair of twos ? The double and halve the sample bpm. Give that a go.

Here's a tutorial that could help if I'm wrong :i-m_so_happy:

[url="https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/audio-clips-tempo-and-warping/"]https://www.ableton....po-and-warping/[/url]

Edited by ahpook

• 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...

This thread is me.

The Youtube clips I found show low-res versions of things that bear no resemblance to what I have got (I can switch views...) and the mumbled commentaries with dogs and children in the background give me no faith that the persona who made them know anything about sound recording...

I don't want to mess with midi, I want to use it like my four track.

I have an MP3 of 'Schools Out' and an M4A of our drummer doing the drum track which I've converted to a Wav.

I can make them play and stop playing but it treats them as samples not tracks. I cant seem to get them properly into a track so that I can see their waveforms side by side and get them to line up (I naturally want the recorded drums to be out front so my bass lines up with that rather than the record if their are any timing errors, I just want to hear enough of the original to get my cues).

Can anyone help? Do I need to load them in a different way?

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

This thread is me...

Give me a few minutes; I use Reaper, but I'm now installing this here Ableton thingy so that I can see what you're seeing. I'll do the same (well, a different WAV drum track, of course, but the principles will apply...).
Back soon...

It's still downloading; it's been half an hour, and still has twenty minutes before completion. Lite, they say..? Hmm... Maybe, but slow to get here. I'm used to Reaper taking less than a minute to download..! :P
Patience, though, and we'll see what we shall see. ;)

2 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

...Can anyone help?...

Do you see something like this on your screen..? If not, post a screen-shot so we can see what you see...

oiE9fkj.jpg

Starting from a 'New Project', I simply dragged the WAV files into the zone, then lined 'em up to the left. If I zoom in, I can align the WAV's more precisely, although I've not found a way to change the 'Snap'. I'll look again... 

Edit: Ah, it's 'Alt' to disable the Snap to Grid (or 'Cmd' for the rich folks using Macs...).

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

This thread is me.

The Youtube clips I found show low-res versions of things that bear no resemblance to what I have got (I can switch views...) and the mumbled commentaries with dogs and children in the background give me no faith that the persona who made them know anything about sound recording...

I don't want to mess with midi, I want to use it like my four track.

I have an MP3 of 'Schools Out' and an M4A of our drummer doing the drum track which I've converted to a Wav.

I can make them play and stop playing but it treats them as samples not tracks. I cant seem to get them properly into a track so that I can see their waveforms side by side and get them to line up (I naturally want the recorded drums to be out front so my bass lines up with that rather than the record if their are any timing errors, I just want to hear enough of the original to get my cues).

Can anyone help? Do I need to load them in a different way?

IMO Ableton probably isn't the right DAW for you. Although most DAWs can be made to do most things, not all of them do everything as well as others. Ableton can probably be made to work like a conventional multitrack recorder, but that's not it's main strength.

I'd suggest that you investigate Reaper instead.

• Like 1

I was misled by the 'drag files here' dialogue in one of the views, I had to drag them into the other view.

Took me an hour of deleting, reloading and random clicking before I got the two tracks the same length, I cnan't understand why it randomly stretches them.

It may be autodetecting BPM, one time it loaded the drum track and made it longer than the other track, I deleted it and loaded again and it made it shorter.

It also put reverb and delay on everything which was horrible.

Aligning was OK once I had two tracks at same tempo and no reverb/delay.

I've figured out how to record from my Focusrite scarlett. It takes me about ten minutes after recording to find a way of playing back. Every time I stop a recording and delete my fail it changes all the monitor settings.

@BigRedX I think you are 100% right!

All I can say is these dance mixers have more respect from me now...

My brother suggests I get a digital multitrack that will work like my old 4-track cassette.

Abelton feels a lot like an AutoCAD product - expensive industry standard program, with an interface that is far from a standard windows one. A free entry-level version hobbled only in capacity so you invest lots of effort in learning to use it and this deters you from other less complex options when you need to go to something with greater capacity.

I will download Reaper in a bit.

10 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

...My brother suggests I get a digital multitrack that will work like my old 4-track cassette.

I have a digital 4-track (an old Fostex MR8-HD...) and it ain't easy to get the stuff out of it, after recording, and into the DAW (Reaper...). I've got it worked out now, but it's primitive. Far easier to record straight into Reaper, track by track.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

My brother suggests I get a digital multitrack that will work like my old 4-track cassette.

The guitarist I play with did exactly this. He's got sick and tired of PCs and uses an Zoom digital multitrack. Still makes great music.

I used Ableton for quite a while and I know how you feel. It's very powerful but not in any direction I ever felt I needed.

Now I use Reaper basically as a PC-based multi-track. I think you'll find it an awful lot easier to use than that Ableton malarkey !

Edited by ahpook
  • Like 1

Well, Reaper was a good  bloody brilliant suggestion.

To explain, our drummer works with about three bands, he did a lockdown version of Schools out with a band of teenagers.

In under half an hour I managed to synch the drum track to their track as a guide, including snipping out the mis-timed first crash and move it to the right place.

Then I managed to record myself and play it back. Need to polish it a bit, but everything working now.

• Like 2