Why become a member? ×

What to do....

beerdragon

Been looking for band to join for a while now, so i put an add in a Join a band site and after a week someone local invited to join a band, they practise where i used practise with my old band just down the road so thats great .He emailed a bunch of songs for me to learn (they are not so great) and grafting away when i have phone call from someone i know saying phone so and so the bass player has just left and it's your if you want it. What to do, don't know if i could cope with learning two set lists plus the gigs could clash, Argh!.

Meet them both, go with whoever best matches your interests. Be that: best setlist, nicest people, most accomplished musicians. Make an informed decision so that you don't regret rejecting one of them a month down the line.

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1469891529' post='3101839']
Meet them both, go with whoever best matches your interests. Be that: best setlist, nicest people, most accomplished musicians. Make an informed decision so that you don't regret rejecting one of them a month down the line.
[/quote] i guess that's the wisest decision, Thanks.

Many of us operate in more than one band. It's fine as long as you are straight with bandmates. I, like many, operate a first come first served policy where whoever books me first has me. People always worry about gigs clashing but I don't think I've ever really had that happen. Maybe just once or twice over all the years I've juggled bands. Learning songs is easy if you practice regularly (I found it harder in the old days where I spent more time GASing on GAK or yapping on forums!)

Songs aside, assuming this isn't paying your wages I would go with where the fun is if picking between the two. Or write down the strengths and weaknesses of both bands and then weigh up the pros and cons from there.

If you have any doubts at all about the first one -- and your concerns over the songs would tend to suggest that you do -- then don't do it. You won't enjoy it and it's not fair on them. Go with the second.

Provisionally accept the second one and do the gig.

Learn the few songs for the first one and audition. There's no guarantee they'll offer you the gig and there's no guarantee they'll like you.

Then after the gig and the first audition you'll have a lot more infomation to base your decision on.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1470050987' post='3102872']
Provisionally accept the second one and do the gig.

Learn the few songs for the first one and audition. There's no guarantee they'll offer you the gig and there's no guarantee they'll like you.

Then after the gig and the first audition you'll have a lot more infomation to base your decision on.

[/quote]
this. offer to cover the gig with the band you know, and then audition for the other one and get a clear idea of what you will be dealing with.

i'll echo what others have said tho, if you don't like the songs now its unlikely you ever will.

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1470052989' post='3102892']

this. offer to cover the gig with the band you know, and then audition for the other one and get a clear idea of what you will be dealing with.

i'll echo what others have said tho, if you don't like the songs now its unlikely you ever will.
[/quote]

Yes, but it's only a few songs he's been given.

Maybe ask to see the whole set list, that might even give an indication to whether they're a serious band anywhere near gigging.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1470054603' post='3102909']
Yes, but it's only a few songs he's been given.

Maybe ask to see the whole set list, that might even give an indication to whether they're a serious band anywhere near gigging.
[/quote]

i'm assuming that the OP's talking about an originals band, and that a bunch means about 4 or so songs, which on the standard originals circuit would be a large chunk of a gig set.

in my experience, bands send out their best songs to people they want to join the band, and if doesnt think they are great then anything else may be below the OP's expectations too.

Check them both out and pick the one that you like the most.

If someone invites you in to help..but there may not be a gig at the end of it, I don't tend to put much work into the set
unless I know I can use that set list again.

There has to be reasonable expectations about how much work is involved.