Why become a member? ×

Van Morrison moon dance - ever REALLY listened to it ?

Wonky2

Doing a studio session tomorrow for a guy I've played for a few times...

Got me thinking to a tune we had played for a bit f fun last time we were together, vans moon dance.
I thought I'd give it a spin just now for old time sake....
I've never really listened to it intently, more a case of its just a tune I know and have heard a lot .

When it begins the bass drops out awkwardly in the first verse, after that the timing is seriously questionable through out ???
Never noticed before, it's subtle but it's out.

Shame , it's a great melodic walking line and of course a great tune.

I've moved onto Gloria now and balance has been restored.

Edited by Wonky2

You've let a very unpopular cat out of the bag who goes by the name of Moondance :o

Coincidentally, I have also got to do this tune on a gig in a weeks time. Managed to get away with not playing it over 30 odd years of gigging (started young) but they all get ya in the end.

[quote name='grumpyguts' timestamp='1469876744' post='3101670']
Ok, so what's the problem with it? I have to play it for a regular dep job; hasn't done me any harm.
[/quote]

I played it in a previous band ( and I too.. am unharmed !! :lol: ) in different venues, and it always went down well. This tells me that there is nothing wrong with it, as the punters are the "real" judges...not the purists. ;)

[quote name='jazzyvee' timestamp='1469861957' post='3101524']
This version by Bobby McFerrin is my favourite of that song.
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd9p_KqVCQs"]https://www.youtube....h?v=Yd9p_KqVCQs[/url]
[/quote]

I forgot about that, he also does a great version of 'Dance With Me' on the album.

I don't get the hatred...I think it's ok. I've played it a few times with big bands and small ensembles and always enjoyed it. I've listened to the original version and I don't find the bass part particularly offensive.

I guess it's one of those tunes that's only popular with the public...

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1469882239' post='3101738']
MoonDance is the absolute pinnacle of Jazz! Nothing better has been written in that genre. It captures all the musical elements of Jazz but has the quality of that it is listenable and catchy!
[/quote]

Careful, Viscount Snorker. Your ignorance is showing. B-)

We play it in our group, don't have a problem with it at all, you can go all over the place during the sax solo.

But then we also do mustang sally and brown eyed girl (except the latter one is the Reel Big Fish version). And i have never been happier in a group.

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1469904705' post='3101945']

Next you'll be telling me that van Morrison isn't as important to jazz as Thelonius Monk or Dizzy Gillespie!
[/quote]

Van Morrison Isn't as important to Jazz as Peter Rabbit and Mrs Tiggie Winkle

Cant stand VM but Moondance is really just a rawk bassist faffing about pretending to be a jazzer, innit?

I just play a walking bass line round the chords and leave it at that apart, from the little bits of "subtle" syncopation....
I always thought the record sounded like the band were warming up before recording proper started and Van started scatting over the top.
Lyrics are decidedly naff and his vocal phrasing gets really painful in places, but the punters usually like it.