Why become a member? ×

compression. help or hindrance?

bassjim

You can use a compressor in many different ways to shape the dynamic envelope of the notes you play (which reach the threshold). There are so many different ways to use a compressor, I find it crazy that people think they can summarise this whole world of possibilities with statements like "it kills dynamics" - well obviously, if that's how you've set it!!

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1470038840' post='3102770']
You can use a compressor in many different ways to shape the dynamic envelope of the notes you play (which reach the threshold). There are so many different ways to use a compressor, I find it crazy that people think they can summarise this whole world of possibilities with statements like "it kills dynamics" - well obviously, if that's how you've set it!!
[/quote]

Sometimes the biggest knob is the one behind the bass guitar!!!

😂😂

Cars kill people but I'm sure most people on here still drive one. Again it's all how you use it and it's a very useful tool when used correctly.
Still if some people prefer not to then that's absolutely fine and an equally valid choice.
Again, with covering bad technique you can use it that way or you can use it to achieve what technique alone can't - just like you can drive your car 500 yards to the shops when you could have walked but getting from Portsmouth to Newcastle in a day is something you'd struggle to achieve on foot.

[quote name='MrDaveTheBass' timestamp='1470043245' post='3102806']
All you ever wanted to know about compression:

[url="http://www.ovnilab.com/"]http://www.ovnilab.com/[/url]
[/quote]

Excellent resource.

Here's the nitty gritty.
http://www.ovnilab.com/articles/howto.shtml

thanks every one. This weekend just gone on two separate gigs, I mostly used less of it. Its on the amp (EBS 350). I found I had better control of my dynamics when the band was playing and could hear the D and G strings much better without having to "fight" for em. On its own about half way up is where I've been using it out of habit so I know where I am as a refrence. Until further notice I am going to use less of it because its become a sort of a new toy to play with if you see what i mean?

When I get that situation where something improves dramatically by adding more (what ever that may be. The room acoustics,drummer eating a biscuit ect) I will make a mental note. I can report back and see if I have won a prize if you like but till then on this subject....

Thanks for every ones help and opinions. Can I sum up: its a handy thing to have and horses for courses.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1470013979' post='3102704']
They never ask. They've never commented. Why would they?
[/quote]

I'll give them an uncompressed sound as bass is one of the most likely areas they'll compress anyway and I don't want them to do it twice.

I get a compressed sound thru valves ....driving the amp hard and the cabs.
Very peaky when required.

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1470056375' post='3102934']
I'll give them an uncompressed sound as bass is one of the most likely areas they'll compress anyway and I don't want them to do it twice.
[/quote]

If you are already compressed, chances are their compressor will work much more subtly, I'd imagine. And it would be the kind of compression you like. Either way I don't see a reason (for me) to worry. As long as we have a decent sound person, they get good results. But I've never ever been asked anything about whether I am using compression or not. They have asked about the DI, some they have insisted I used their DI, etc... but never compression.

well just asking if you're using compression is a bit pointless. If they asked "are you using a slow attack compressor with low ratio?" or "are you using a fast attack compressor with low threshold?" or something, then it might inform them a little as to the shape of your dynamic envelopes, but not a lot.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1470056375' post='3102934']

I get a compressed sound thru valves ....driving the amp hard and the cabs.
Very peaky when required.
[/quote]

If it's already compressed they have no need to compress it again? It doesn't work like that.

It's like you saying I'm not going to EQ my bass because I don't want it EQ'd twice.

If it sounds good already why would any engineer fiddle with it. As the article says it's a very fine line between too much and just enough. If you've got just enough then there's no need for anyone to add more.

PA should be all about sound reinforcement.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1470060721' post='3102978']
If it's already compressed they have no need to compress it again? It doesn't work like that.

It's like you saying I'm not going to EQ my bass because I don't want it EQ'd twice.

If it sounds good already why would any engineer fiddle with it. As the article says it's a very fine line between too much and just enough. If you've got just enough then there's no need for anyone to add more.

PA should be all about sound reinforcement.

[/quote]

Lots of ifs there.
But once you've quashed the sound you can't get it back.
This may not be your objective but on stage you've set compression for the backline...and this may or may not suit the
goals of the FOH Engr.
I don't need help with level or dynamics or balance across the bass... so I don't use any.

The Engr FOH is using compression to control the bass and subs. Might not be the same goal at all.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1470228461' post='3104253']

Lots of ifs there.
But once you've quashed the sound you can't get it back.
This may not be your objective but on stage you've set compression for the backline...and this may or may not suit the
goals of the FOH Engr.
I don't need help with level or dynamics or balance across the bass... so I don't use any.

The Engr FOH is using compression to control the bass and subs. Might not be the same goal at all.
[/quote]

Do you DI straight from the bass into the desk?

All this talk of whether or not to use compression is fairly pointless because:

1. If you drive any part of your audio chain hard you are compressing the signal.

2. If you use valves in any part of your audio chain you are compressing the signal.

3. If you use any kind of drive/distortion/fuzz in your audio chain you are compressing the signal.

4. And don't forget that at all but the quietest of acoustic gigs the audiences ears will be adding their own compression.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1470229160' post='3104268']
Do you DI straight from the bass into the desk?
[/quote]

Invaribly thru a DI box so amp is bypassed in that regard for signal. I'll have a chat with the Engr and give him a demo of the sound I'm using. My stage monitor is primarily the stage monitor and it will be run loud for the stage.
If we have a stage mix Engr my main concern is the stage sound still.

As the name suggests, compression tightens everything up. Do you and the people you're playing to want to hear that, or do you want complete control over your sound...?
It really just depends on the music being played and the musician's ear.
I've never used it but I know that I need to depending on the venue and I think I'm gonna go with the tc...

I use compression to give me more control over my dirt pedals and change my envelope going into my filter (which also has a compressor to tame some of the peaks when I up the resonance).
You can also get more of an attack on your playing with a compressor if you set it to not set in for the right amount of time, which helps if you play without a pic.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1470243901' post='3104456']

Invaribly thru a DI box so amp is bypassed in that regard for signal. I'll have a chat with the Engr and give him a demo of the sound I'm using. My stage monitor is primarily the stage monitor and it will be run loud for the stage.
If we have a stage mix Engr my main concern is the stage sound still.
[/quote]

Are you saying you don't have a backline and you're using the PA monitor or that you're using backline as a monitor?

It really depends on the engineer, the size of the stage, the type of PA. Too many variables. I've had engineers who won't put any bass in their monitors and engineers who'll blow you off the stage from the monitor.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1470575432' post='3106808']
My bass will go into the DI box and then be fed back to my amp which is my stage monitor.
[/quote]

So if you were using inline effects where would you take the DI? It would have to be after the FX. Compression would be part of your FX chain rather than being used to compress the signal.

I don't see the soundman would have any problem with that. If you were using compression on your pre-amp stage in your amp then that wouldn't be fed to the PA anyway.

Always run with a little compression. I find it gives the bass a little edge while keeping the level just very slightly clipped if that is the right terminology.
I use it on my Roland mfx and also have a pedal that has very simple controls that allw me to dial in the amount of compression i want with led's indicating amount of compression used.
I literally have it only just on.
I've experimented a lot with them and have always preferred just a touch suits me.
I vary my style between finger plucking and using my nails to give an edge and also pick style using my thumb & nail. The compression helps keep level just right without fiddling with volume levels.
Dave