Why become a member? ×

Any Basschatters going to/playing at Rebellion this year?

Lozz196

Unfortunately I won't be able to make it this year but just checked out the line up on the web site; looks like it's going to be a fantastic weekend.

Interested to see Jilted John is down for a 30 minute set; that's going to be one long version of 'Gordon is a Moron' unless he's also doing some John Shuttleworth stuff - which would be interesting at a Punk festival!

Edited due to stupidity :P

Edited by Ashweb

We`re called Knock Off. We`re on on Thursday at 13:00, Arena Stage. Had that slot/stage last year and loved it so begged for the same again this year.

Which band are you in, I`ll come and watch as am there Thur - Sun.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1470036789' post='3102748']
cool! We're Headsticks. I'm on drums but we have a fantastic bass player Nick Bayes
[/quote]
Hey Chaddatom, you're band's just been mentioned on 6Music (Steve Lamacq)! Complimentary message by a listener. Nice one :-)

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1470642946' post='3107210']
How did it go Lozz? It was my first time there and I was very impressed. Great atmosphere!
[/quote]

Went great thanks, a virtually packed Arena stage at 1pm on a Thursday, major merch sales - which will pay for our German tour in September - and another snippet which I can`t divulge yet due to details etc still to be worked on/finalised. Caught a bit of your set yesterday, some pretty cool sounds there, a pretty good blend of two styles I thought.

[quote name='davelliott' timestamp='1470670866' post='3107519']
Hey Chaddatom, you're band's just been mentioned on 6Music (Steve Lamacq)! Complimentary message by a listener. Nice one :-)
[/quote]

Yeh, someone mentioned that last night - pretty cool!

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1470684882' post='3107674']
Went great thanks, a virtually packed Arena stage at 1pm on a Thursday, major merch sales - which will pay for our German tour in September - and another snippet which I can`t divulge yet due to details etc still to be worked on/finalised. Caught a bit of your set yesterday, some pretty cool sounds there, a pretty good blend of two styles I thought.
[/quote]

Sounds ace! I'm jealous of the tour

I don't really understand why we're embedded in the punk scene, I always thought we were just playing angry folk, but it works anyway, and everyone seems really nice

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1470731137' post='3107906']
how much do the minor bands get for playing these days? when I played there in 2008 we got wristbands for the whole weekend, I've heard now you only get one for the day you're playing
[/quote]

Yes, that was the case for me anyway, I guess it depends what stage you're on? You could buy a wristband for all 4 days for £50 which seemed like pretty good value. Unfortunately I had sessions in the studio so couldn't take advantage

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1470732054' post='3107921']
Yes, that was the case for me anyway, I guess it depends what stage you're on? You could buy a wristband for all 4 days for £50 which seemed like pretty good value. Unfortunately I had sessions in the studio so couldn't take advantage
[/quote]getting dangerously near pay to play though, still I suppose he could give f*** all or even charge, and bands would still be fighting to play there.

I guess so? To be honest I'd not heard of the festival until my band fell into the punk scene. I've never really been into punk much. Anyway, everyone else in the band was very excited and it did seem like a pretty big deal when we were there.

Also, the day after, a bandmate from another band felt the need to tell me that he'd played there years ago, and been asked back, but turned them down as they'd seen to many right-wing/fascist types there. I didn't see anything like that so I think either the festival has changed somewhat since he played, or he was just a bit jealous.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1470731137' post='3107906']
how much do the minor bands get for playing these days? when I played there in 2008 we got wristbands for the whole weekend, I've heard now you only get one for the day you're playing
[/quote]

I suppose the bigger bands get paid, the names, but for us we got Access All Areas wristbands for the whole weekend, plus food on the day we played.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1470814489' post='3108570']
I suppose the bigger bands get paid, the names, but for us we got Access All Areas wristbands for the whole weekend, plus food on the day we played.
[/quote]well I certainly wouldn't complain about that

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1470816542' post='3108592']
well I certainly wouldn't complain about that
[/quote]

Me neither Paul, was a great weekend, hopefully we`ll get asked back but when there are so many good bands out there you just have to cross your fingers and hope.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1470905226' post='3109213']
Me neither Paul, was a great weekend, hopefully we`ll get asked back but when there are so many good bands out there you just have to cross your fingers and hope.
[/quote]he does have his favourites though, our singer nags him relentless and we've never got back on, but some quite average bands seem to be on most years

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1470909589' post='3109261']
Who is it who books the bands? I have nothing to do with that side of it

Anyway, here's one of our songs from the set

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyU1q3jBsmU&feature=youtu.be
[/quote]

Brilliant - John Coughlan on drums and Sean Lock on guitar. Nice to see an 'all star' band!

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1470911098' post='3109274']
I think a guy called Darren Russell Smith is the main man
[/quote]

Yep, Darren is the main man, and a pretty darn good job he does, it must be a logistical nightmare scheduling so much all at once, but it all goes so smoothly.

[quote name='mr zed' timestamp='1470954155' post='3109662']
Brilliant - John Coughlan on drums and Sean Lock on guitar. Nice to see an 'all star' band!
[/quote]

HAHA! Excellent. I had to look up John Coughlan. I don't think I'm quite that good looking, but thanks