Why become a member? ×

Gigging your 'beater' bass (Snob alert)

Guest MoJo

It just so happens that my beater bass is my Musicman USA SUB and it's not my favourite bass. I prefer my Jazz, Precision or Jaguar but.. if the SUB was my favourite I'd play it on any gig, even though it's very roadworn.

As it is, the SUB gets used mainly on gigs where damage is more likely. It's a great bass really and to be honest, lately I've started to enjoy it a little more.

Frank.

Voted "Other" as I have never had a bass I considered a "beater" or "looker" even though some would be considered boutique and others basic.

I've taken both my Wals and my Frankenjazz to pub gigs and to nice clubs/posh venues. Only time I've differentiated on looks was when I took the Jazz to some "60's" night gigs for visual authenticity purposes only. And all my basses get treated with the same level of care/respect, whether my Wals or the old Squier Jazz I had many moons ago.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1469624037' post='3099809']
The cheapest rig I could take out would still cost £5k to replace but that isn't the reason I wouldn't play dives.
I don't play them because they ARE dives...not because I wouldn't take my kit there.
I wouldn't take ME there :lol:

But.... this also opens up other issues which you can get caught up in.

I've taken a few dates to help out a mate and so I'm finding that their booking criteria and mine are way way apart.

If you dep... at what point do you decide not to do a gig and for what reason..
Might be another Topic..

I have what I have because I see the need to have it... it gets used because I want that on the gig.
Fortunately, there is quite a bit of cross over in my basses and the way they are set up..and also the Amp/cabs so
they should be pretty interchangeable.

They are tools and they'll be used on the gig I take.
The question is more whether I should take the gig in the first place
[/quote]

I played a gig in Dundee recently, where the regulars were living examples of the failure of 'Care in The Community' and where, when I attempted to use the lavatory facilities, somebody had done a sh*t in the urinal.

Just in case your depping takes you to sunny Dundee, The place is called the Artic Bar. I recommend you pack a crowbar (the bass you take is up to you).

I almost always use my Roadworn because -

+ It says Fender on the headstock and that's all anyone in the band cares about
+ It plays really well which is all I care about
+ It sounds as good as any £5+ boutique bass when it's "in the mix" in a noisey pub
+ I don't care if it gets a knock as it's RW
+ It's MIM so easily replaced if it does walk

What's not to like :)

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1469667910' post='3100228']
I played a gig in Dundee recently, where the regulars were living examples of the failure of 'Care in The Community' and where, when I attempted to use the lavatory facilities, somebody had done a sh*t in the urinal.

Just in case your depping takes you to sunny Dundee, The place is called the Artic Bar. I recommend you pack a crowbar (the bass you take is up to you).
[/quote]

:lol: Pass....:lol:

Would turn me off gigging even more.

Well, actually, I like gigging, I just don't want it to be a hassle or something I don't look forward to..and certain gigs and certain venues, I don't look forward. Generally, you stand a chance of screening them out, but out of 16 or so gigs in the next 5 weeks I'm going to get more than a few dogs.
But, then that is what favours do to you... :lol: After that, I'm out of there.

I don't have a "beater" bass and I only have basses I actually like the look and sound of. I play whichever bass takes my fancy on the night. I don't care about preserving a certain "tone" - when I'm playing live my preferred tone is "being heard and being able to hear myself" ;)

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1469696579' post='3100328']
I don't have a "beater" bass and I only have basses I actually like the look and sound of. I play whichever bass takes my fancy on the night. I don't care about preserving a certain "tone" - when I'm playing live my preferred tone is "being heard and being able to hear myself" ;)
[/quote]

Very commendable. I should take that attitude. Sadly, when we play, for arguments sake, London's Calling, I try to emulate Paul Simonon's P-bass tone rather than go with 'my tone'

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1469697308' post='3100341']
Very commendable. I should take that attitude. Sadly, when we play, for arguments sake, London's Calling, I try to emulate Paul Simonon's P-bass tone rather than go with 'my tone'
[/quote]

Ahh, but I'm not playing covers (apart from the ones we do our own take on), so the only bassist I need to sound like is ... me! ;)

I tend to use 'cheaper basses' when gigging in rowdy pubs. I no longer have to worry about getting beer thrown over an expensive boutique instrument.
Both my Nate Mendel and 90's Squier bitsa are fitted with spb1 pickups, so I have the tone without the worry.

The good thing about pbasses and jbasses isxtgat that fit into most 'looks' at a gig no matter what type of music.

I've recently required a cheapo Harley benton jazz... plays really nicely, I would happily gig with this and I have.

As an aside... I love watching a gig and seeing someone with meagre gear and playing/sounding great! As much I find it hilarious folk turning up with fancy stuff and playing like 13 year old!

I voted other as my US Precision, MIM Precision and bitsa Precision all look the same, black/black/maple, so I don`t gig basses for looks. My US Standard gets all my gigs, that`s what I bought it for. Although gigs on the punk scene can get a bit lairy they seldom spill onstage, and we`re not at the point where we`re a named band that people do that ridiculous "honouring the band by throwing beer at them" thing. My backup MIM Precision is there in case anything happens to the US.

I voted other.
My number one gigging bass hold it's position because out of all my basses it's the one that feels most comfortable to play, looks the best to my eyes and (since it's recent modification to add an active circuit) also sounds the best to my ears.
I just happen to be lucky that, as its a Squier, I don't have to worry about it too much at gigs.
Saying that though, My old Warwick Streamer stage one 5 string would now cost well over 5 grand to buy the equivalent new at Warwick's insane new prices but I never used to worry about that at gigs either.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1469623166' post='3099790']

my 76 is a Aria-Pro 'Professional'. I'm not sure if yours is the same, but I have been very lucky I think. It is an amazing player, even for 40 years old. Actually feels nicer than the current Nate Mendel P, which is based on Nate's own 71 P.
[/quote]

I got it as part of a £50 job lot (three guitars/practice amp) on Gumtree. It needed a load of work, but body and neck are sound. I'd like to stick a different pickup in, but ultimately it's the type of bass no one looks at twice.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1469775205' post='3100916']
I got it as part of a £50 job lot (three guitars/practice amp) on Gumtree. It needed a load of work, but body and neck are sound. I'd like to stick a different pickup in, but ultimately it's the type of bass no one looks at twice.
[/quote]

That's a bargain! Interestingly, my slightly battered bass has been the subject of much discussion, especially when I also tell them how much I paid for it verses a 'real' 76 precision. What makes me chuckle is that I bought some new bits for it - and the Fender pick guard is such a close match that all of the screw holes line up! Ash + Maple win :)

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1469636242' post='3099947']
I voted 'other' as it depends. I don't always gig a beater bass but I have in the past and would happily again. But if I ever landed a prestigious gig somewhere I would certainly be more conscious of what was on the headstock. So break out the Squier instead of the Westone :)
[/quote]For me it would be the other way around. In my experience most Westones are better than most squeirs.

Its all about the tone for me. But also I'm a snob too.
My old 84 aria is a pos too look at and in fact its got some major set up issues too. I could actually fix it and make it near perfect if I wanted.
And the string are horrid and old it also has a slight smell haha.

However the tone is fantastic one of the nicest bass tones I've heard and its had a lot of nice comments in that vane too.

So I would take it anywhere. However if it said squire on I probably wouldn't, its now old enough just to have a slight bit of credit maybe lol.

[quote name='Chienmortbb' timestamp='1469784163' post='3100994']
For me it would be the other way around. In my experience most Westones are better than most squeirs.
[/quote]

Fair point :) I had in mind my JV but, yes, I would agree - a lot of Westones put a lot of Squiers to shame.

Cost doesn't mean anything when I choose which bass to gig. At the same time, the most expensive instrument I own is the Stingray, so we're not exactly talking retirement money amounts here. My favourite is the Stingray, and that's what I end up playing most of the time, because it's the one that feels best to me and generally sounds best. I say generally because when I was more active with several bands, I might choose other basses for other situations, but always based on the combination feel/sound. I have occasionally used a bass because it had a certain look, but that's very rare.

I have no problem gigging cheap basses... I have played a few gigs with a Squier VM Jazz, and even a Westfield Jazz that I bought for £40. It had a decent sound, felt good and it was a very pretty shade of green, so I used it as my main bass for a short period. I've played OLPs, and even the infamous Sue Ryder Precision (with a pickup change)... and I certainly didn't feel "less" for playing them. I only keep a bass if it's ok to play, otherwise what's the point?

My beater is a '68 Jazz, sunburst, bound neck, maple board pearl blocks.

The burst is faded and has lots of dings and knocks, neck is really nicely worn in and action goes as low as I want.

It's worth more than other basses I own but it's the one I care least about in terms of condition and the one I drag out for rehearsals and gigs where looks don't really matter.

Also the one I lend to people now and then.

Basically it's already 'beaten' so qualifies as my 'beater'.