Why become a member? ×

Powered monitors, amateur question!

JCBass

I have recently acquired a pair of Peavey Eurosys 1PMs (one powered and one passive) and I haven't the foggiest about sound engineering. What I want to know is how would I need to use these to run vocals through say? Do I need a micing desk as well? Or can I run a mic/instrument straight into the powered monitor? Can give pictures if need be

You can run a vocal into the monitor if you wanted.
Don't know how good/loud it would be though.
Don't need a mixer if you only want to run a single vocal, just plug the mic into line in or input, EQ how you want and you're away to go.

Edit to say, if you were going to do this, you'd have to plug into the active monitor. Could potentially daisy chain the passive monitor to the active one too for more volume, depending on a few other things.

Like i say though, probably not something i'd recommend as a long term solution in a full band, but it would work.

Edited by FuNkShUi

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1469624454' post='3099813']
Don't need a mixer if you only want to run a single vocal, just plug the mic into line in or input, EQ how you want and you're away to go.
[/quote]

I don't really know these speakers, but from having a quick look at them online, I don't think you'd be able to plug a mic straight into it. You'd need some sort of mixer first that can convert the lower gain microphone output signal into a line level signal.

I'm happy to be proved wrong though.

[quote name='Huge Hands' timestamp='1469629285' post='3099870']
I don't really know these speakers, but from having a quick look at them online, I don't think you'd be able to plug a mic straight into it. You'd need some sort of mixer first that can convert the lower gain microphone output signal into a line level signal.

I'm happy to be proved wrong though.
[/quote]

I'd didnt look at them online, i'll be honest.
I was just speaking generally, that you can usually go straight into an active speaker.
I assumed it'd the case here. I might well be wrong too :lol:

Thanks for the quick replies guys! I'll try plugging straight in and if that's an issue then I'll look at my options, it would only be for use in rehearsals, I got them free so might as well use them if I can