Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

I've just put this one together - I say put together, but I can't find my velcro so only the tuner and compressor are "in place", hence the OCD-annoying misalignment. I also have EBS flat cables ordered to tidy things up a bit. 

First pedalboard I've had in a long time. The Cali76 CB is outstandingly good - I've never been a compressor fan but this has changed my mind! The Oxford has just turned up and it's a brilliant pedal. The Element is excellent now I know how to work the thing properly - I was convinced the touch pad was broken and even contacted customer service at Darkglass about it.... It wasn't, just designed to be pushed harder than I thought! I'm not overly fussed on the X7 in conjunction with everything else yet so it may be getting replaced...

I always feel guilty about having a lot of money invested in pedals (probably because I spent so long as a straight into the amp kinda guy) so I'm always on the hunt for "same effect, lower outlay" alternatives. The DIY pedal bug has reared it's head again and I have Vintage Microtubes, B3K and Fat General clones to build so I don't imagine this combination will be fixed for very long!

IMG_20220418_102721_edit_30255126749549.thumb.jpg.f969c7603a5513f50d20f246936ccd34.jpg

Edited by Bigwan
  • Like 7

On 14/04/2022 at 15:26, jimbobothy said:

..  Wiretaps are great pedals aren’t they 👍🏼

It's really handy

The only annoyance is that I can't turn off the Bluetooth receiver. It screws with my wireless receiver, so the Wiretap is unusable on my main pedalboard.

On 21/04/2022 at 18:10, braindeadbass said:

Here’s my current board, black box is an Octave Fuzz I’m working on.

1512F77B-630B-489B-BDE8-6EB939341DA8.png

… how do you find the Zoia please? Are the effects available comparable to their pedal separate counterparts?

I used to have a HX Stomp but found for a few effects I wanted analogue pedals as the digital counterparts were not quite the same etc.

Edited by jimbobothy
Added clarity to the question asked.

image.thumb.png.776c7bd680fffa95350cda919b996513.png

Signal chain: Boss OC5 -->  Pigtronix Octava -->  Boss SY-200 --> Zoom B1-4 --> 3 Leaf Proton --> Thumpinator HPF (under the board)--> Tech 21 VTDI.

All powered by a HB Iso5 Pro.

This update got a big thumbs up from our band’s guitarist! 😊

I've replaced my Future Impact mono-synth pedal, with its cool bass synth sounds, with a polyphonic Boss SY-200 synth pedal. Whilst not quite so lush as the FI the SY-200, being poly, tracks more tightly and with less latency; a more winning combination IMO for a band-mix particularly on faster / busier bass lines.

• Like 7

15 hours ago, Al Krow said:

image.thumb.png.776c7bd680fffa95350cda919b996513.png

Signal chain: Boss OC5 -->  Pigtronix Octava -->  Boss SY-200 --> Zoom B1-4 --> 3 Leaf Proton --> Thumpinator HPF (under the board)--> Tech 21 VTDI.

All powered by a HB Iso5 Pro.

This update got a big thumbs up from our band’s guitarist! 😊

I've replaced my Future Impact mono-synth pedal, with its cool bass synth sounds, with a polyphonic Boss SY-200 synth pedal. Whilst not quite so lush as the FI the SY-200, being poly, tracks more tightly and with less latency; a more winning combination IMO for a band-mix particularly on faster / busier bass lines.

decent set up that.

i see you have at least one octave, synth, 2 drives (VTDi and B7K on the zoom) and the envelope filter all on.

What kind of sound does that give?

Is the drive on your amp also on?

All of that combined could give a very rich harmonic sound.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

decent set up that.

i see you have at least one octave, synth, 2 drives (VTDi and B7K on the zoom) and the envelope filter all on.

What kind of sound does that give?

Is the drive on your amp also on?

All of that combined could give a very rich harmonic sound.

Nah - certainly not all on at the same time, haha! That pic with the pedals lit up was just photoshoot purposes and to show some of fx that are available as and when I need them. There's several more that I use from time to time on the B1-4 e.g. chorus, Z-synth, tape-echo, "Motown" EQ.

I very rarely have more than one drive engaged at any one time, but may layer them with a presence setting on the VTDI which works well if you want to cut-through rather than sit in the mix.

And the VTDI settings, more generally, will be tailored to the bass being used and the flavour desired: ranging from Ampegy to increased presence to tube dirt. As you know, it's a very flexible pre-amp and understandably still one of Tech21's all time favs.

What's your pedal board looking like these days? 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

On 21/04/2022 at 18:10, braindeadbass said:

Here’s my current board, black box is an Octave Fuzz I’m working on.

1512F77B-630B-489B-BDE8-6EB939341DA8.png

How do you get on with the Empress Zoia? I have been wondering about getting one for a while but don’t know anyone with personal experience of them.

Small refinement to my board so nabbed a pic before last nights gig. I’ve been trying some drive pedals out recently and think the DG Alpha Omicron wins the slot for main drive. I used the big unit before but this stripped down version works really well for my needs. Low gain sounds worked well and pushing it yielded a great punchy tone which was present and very enjoyable. 
As a self confessed ‘not a fan of the DG sound’ these units are way more flexible than many demos would

have you believe and very easy to integrate across a variety of songs/genres. 
A3AED9C8-DD94-4D95-BE1D-C285DE15660E.thumb.jpeg.976de3adbbc892999b2b8a4c50eb588a.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Nah - certainly not all on at the same time, haha! That pic with the pedals lit up was just photoshoot purposes and to show some of fx that are available as and when I need them. There's several more that I use from time to time on the B1-4 e.g. chorus, Z-synth, tape-echo, "Motown" EQ.

I very rarely have more than one drive engaged at any one time, but may layer them with a presence setting on the VTDI which works well if you want to cut-through rather than sit in the mix.

And the VTDI settings, more generally, will be tailored to the bass being used and the flavour desired: ranging from Ampegy to increased presence to tube dirt. As you know, it's a very flexible pre-amp and understandably still one of Tech21's all time favs.

What's your pedal board looking like these days? 

Any combination or FEA OptiFET, CaliCB, DP3X, PSA2.0, GZR Wah, dUg amp

• Like 1

On 22/04/2022 at 20:36, jimbobothy said:

… how do you find the Zoia please? Are the effects available comparable to their pedal separate counterparts?

I used to have a HX Stomp but found for a few effects I wanted analogue pedals as the digital counterparts were not quite the same etc.

I love it!! Definitely a big learning curve, but incredible all the same. The community of users on patch storage is great as well. I’d say it doesn’t gain/overdrive/distortion that well. But because it’s so open source there’s so many ways to overcome the things it doesn’t do so well. Downside being a big investment, but it’s worth if you properly get into it 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_2249.thumb.jpg.0f9bff215f1f0b321a2209eac59167e7.jpg

My most recent build - I gave in and got a C4 Synth. Using the Caiman Tail Loop to change patches and switch presets on the C4 via a Disaster Area Micro Ghost (mounted underneath).

Edited by Huw Foster
  • Like 8

5 hours ago, Huw Foster said:

My most recent build - I gave in and got a C4 Synth. Using the Caiman Tail Loop to change patches and switch presets on the C4 via a Disaster Area Micro Ghost (mounted underneath).

holy moly!! 💛💎💛

• Like 1

On 06/05/2022 at 13:17, Huw Foster said:

OG 3Leaf Octabvre for the win! Is that a standard size board or did you build your own? I'm getting a Noble later this year and it seems to make planning a board really awkward.

• Like 1