Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

5DF2CF08-C2C9-4293-AA45-D87901F0C9B4.thumb.jpeg.d43357bd074f5dc8e7f568982153e66d.jpeg

Had a rehearsal last night and we were auditioning three guitarists. I saw this as the perfect opportunity to compare three different set ups!

So it’s an 80’s band and while there is scope for synth bass the keys player is doing the heavy lifting in that department. He suggested early on his left hand wasn’t gonna step on my parts but we could work who was doing what on tunes where it was basically multi layers of all synth goodness if that was needed. We both wanna make it fun and add a wee touch of our own sound to these classics. 

I had three set ups but only two players showed up so I used my pedal board and the ADAM. The Stomp wasn’t needed but I’ve dialled it in for this band and have a GK amp model with octave and an eq assigned to the FS’s (and a FX loop on all my patches so I can add in external pedals and do the parallel blend thing etc. - been comparing drives and stuff which has been fun). 

The pedal board is such a good solid tone. The Hyper Luminal is such a good comp and the ability to tweak really makes it three comps in one. I’ve all three modes set up differently and it means I have some options depending on what I want it to do. Even out slap parts, add punch, 1176 all in mode! It’s a quality box and well

worth a look if you’re on the fence. The ColourBox is a cracking eq and sounds ‘full’ - you can hear the difference when you engage it - it’s got a transformer inside and you can notice the effect it has. The EQ has good scope and I found it very easy to enhance my bass with minimal fuss. My only criticism is the HPF is set too high (160Hz not the 60Hz which I had read in some literature) to make it work for bass but it’s no deal breaker. It was combined with the Fender Trapper, an amp style drive and it too worked well. I like the trapper and the clean blend with X-over is really useful being able to set the clean crossover freq and level. It’s another pedal worth a look if you want/need/prefer a clean blend and like a more traditional bass drive over the ‘DG’ sound. It can get gnarly but not super modern scooped. 

I have another drive but it’s been my go to with this band and it was fun to use the Trapper. The Trapper works and really nails that amp style drive but I’d say the B3K suits the band better as it sits well with the synths especially as the guitarist was using TS style drives and crunchy, amp like dirt too. 

The ADAM is a monster pedal and I think it sits really well with the synths/guitars. Even the clean tone is huge and the parallel signal path has a huge part to play with that. On Material Girl the bass part sits right between synth and bass and the combination of clean blend, synthy fuzzy drive, character control and some eq make it fill out that lower register while adding compression keeps it defined and punchy. It’s such a fun song to play. I’d say I can get away with a more aggressive tone for many of the songs and having keys/synth really helps with that as the bass can just add the edgy definition and support the guitar.

It’s coming together nicely and a few little tweaks now we have found a guitarist should see the whole thing settle in and we can all find our sonic space. 

I may tweak the pedal board by changing the drive to my other unit and I’m still in two minds about keeping the ADAM - it’s a complete unit and but I do like the flexibility of the pedal board and the ability to patch in pedals on the stomps fx loop. At this stage I’m quite chuffed to have the options and I really liked getting a chance to compare them

on the same tracks.

Oh and we found our new guitarist too so that’s nice!

5D8450D7-D9FD-4CA9-86CB-BECD62AC73BB.thumb.png.bef0ea2d3406f8aa7f73ae6d93591a5a.png749A5673-1F47-43EF-AD81-930D7DECCA49.thumb.png.a5e407cb94c7386bb66cabb5cbf9d80f.png

Edited by krispn
Pic’s
  • Like 4

21 hours ago, stewblack said:

Love the casual layout @krispn. My boards seem to exist in a state of permanent flux. While I'm sure yours comes together for gigs mine are a mess of indecision and new toys.

Well I have things secured and organised for gigs and just got some new dual lock to sort it out. I have and have had some larger pedals so always had to do a bit or Tetris to make things fit and have access to in/outs/xlr so now I think I can settle back into a more traditional set up rather pedals at odd angles 

I’ll keep the right hand side of the board with the Comp and EQ (which goes into the DI and onto the pa) and I can come out of the ‘DI Thru’ into a dirt pedal and on the the amp. Not as complicated as it might sound and it’s worked well on last weekends gig. It gives me some control over my IEM sound from my board as well as running some dirt to the amp only.

The HXS and the ADAM have their own psu so it’s simply a matter of plugging in power and a lead or two if I wanna switch them in or out. Running them into that tube DI does enhance the sound which is a bonus!

First pic is the regular pub band set up and the other two are just messing about trying things out.

image.thumb.jpg.dba0f69406f6feb5b2b73292a5dbd241.jpg

F05215D4-7180-42E0-AA0D-3B776D6E3CB7.jpeg

D72DA2D2-A184-40DB-BB3D-70A5CBF246A2.jpeg

Edited by krispn
Pics and waffle
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, 0175westwood29 said:

E7D83BD3-9BB6-42CE-8569-50F76D92D3A5.thumb.jpeg.9b4fc051e0eefd552bbce8e1f8de8947.jpeg

latest version still need to book midi up to the sy200, also tried the pickle in place of my colorsound and honestly I prefer the colorsound but I’ve got one more thing to try at next practice. Also the loop blender has replaced my Tyler 

How's that blender holding up Vs the Tyler? I've been intrigued by the Tyler for ages, and most recently for modulation type effects rather than dirt tbh. I wish gigrig would add the blend control on the G3 rather than just 50:50

2 minutes ago, Salt on your Bass? said:

How's that blender holding up Vs the Tyler? I've been intrigued by the Tyler for ages, and most recently for modulation type effects rather than dirt tbh. I wish gigrig would add the blend control on the G3 rather than just 50:50

The blender works better for me tbh, the Tyler sort of changes the low end in a way I didn’t hate but prefer the more clean way the blender works, I think for modulation the Tyler would be killer tho! (I’m selling it btw) 

• Like 1

On 11/02/2022 at 20:05, Thunderbird said:

Very cool stuff 

Out of interest what kind of effects would you use for church? I really have no idea about church music at all 

I have used a Chorus pedal with my P Bass in church.  It is (for want of a better term) a starter instrument and I wanted something to thicken the sound a bit.  I now have a G&L L2000 and a Fretless Sire V7.  I don’t use any effects with the G&L, but have started slapping in the occassional drum solo that gets into worship songs (and which really shouldn’t be left to a drummer 😀); so have bought a compressor to do what compressors do (I intend to use it as an “always on” rather than an effect).  I may start using an overdrive in some banging choruses (the sung variety).  I intend to use the chorus (pedal variety this time) with the fretless.  The 1st time I used the fretless I forgot to engage the pedal; the second time I was having pedal board problems so played without any effects.

I’m considering getting an octave pedal.  Mainly for use with the fretless, but maybe also so that I can play frets 6 and higher most of the time (which I find a little easier on my relatively small hands, and maybe also helps for learning a song then playing in whatever key the singers want to) yet still have plenty of low end.

Edited by Simon C
I forgot to add the bit about the octave pedal.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My latest iteration.

rekX5OH.jpg

• The HX Stomp replaces four discrete pedals.
  • The two footswitch unit is preset up/down for the HX Stomp; it's temporarily housed in a 3-button case, but I have a blank one I need to drill the holes in and shift the innards across.
  • The MC6 is due to connect to the C4, when I get the MIDI interface box and re-program it, but in the interim the DMC micro is filling in.
  • The Signal Blender merges multiple inputs from a GigRig CincoCinco.
  • I'm now only using 4 of the QM 6's loops, so I may downsize to a 4; however, that would then potentially free up space for another pedal, so I'd need to go back to the 6!
  • Like 4

On 21/02/2022 at 22:46, Simon C said:

I’m considering getting an octave pedal.  Mainly for use with the fretless, but maybe also so that I can play frets 6 and higher most of the time (which I find a little easier on my relatively small hands, and maybe also helps for learning a song then playing in whatever key the singers want to) yet still have plenty of low end.

You really should. Octave is essential imo - many threads on what’s the best but a second hand MXR is hard to argue with for the price and sounds great. Two voices and lovely mid bump button….

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Bunion said:

A bit of a reshuffle and a simpler layout thanks to  new purchase from @Old Horse Murphy  Dave Hall VT1 std Bass, I’m a sucker for tubes. 
05CE4ACD-3BC3-4AC5-86D9-3F877E0F3F29.thumb.jpeg.db3b603662b88c6301f9c57f66a613f7.jpeg
Run through a Crown XLS 2502 amp. 

Then the Bag End 210/410 stack,it sounds juicy. GAS subsiding…

Great little board - covers the essentials perfectly.

• Like 2

Iteration #7373

New additions are the Spark Mini for level matching between my active and passive gigging basses, and the JHS 3 Series Phaser.

The Bright Onion patch box underneath was £30 well spent too.

B9AE1013-8111-48E3-916F-204E4DD986D9.jpeg

5732AC98-6980-44C5-870E-BE78F864F1A6.jpeg

Edited by NicoMcJ
  • Like 1