Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

Ha. Definately one of those things as I don't use TalkBass - will take a look now though! It still doesn't quite answer the frequency of specific pedals - rather just the general effect type.

Edited by CJPJ

I nearly posted a little while back as I'd noticed a few Darkglass Hyper Luminal compressors showing up on people's boards, but then I realised I probably notice pedals I use more than others. It would be interesting to know what's popular, but also worth remembering that sometimes things are popular because they're popular.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CJPJ said:

Ha. Definately one of those things as I don't use TalkBass - will take a look now though! It still doesn't quite answer the frequency of specific pedals - rather just the general effect type.

You'd need a vast list, though, if you were going to cover every make and model, as so much boils down to individual taste. Dirt pedals appear, not surprisingly, to be the most popular pedal type, but there are loads of (100+?) different overdrive and fuzz pedals. 

The other thing that's kinda interesting is how folks' pedal boards have evolved over time. The main pedal types I've used have been pretty constant over the past 4 years, but I've changed / upgraded most of the individual pedals as my tastes have changed or better kit has appeared on the scene.

Hmnm...that topic could also make for an interesting separate thread 😊

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 2

^^^

There's also the 'Basschat swingers' aspect with a lot of pedal trading between members of the Fourm. The pool of pedals available (and the selling price history and amount of group-think hype or downplay) might not be representative of the wider Bass playing community.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I’m sure many pedals have been bought simply because of their availability whereas ordinarily they’d not have been sought out. A lot of folk hit the for sale thread to see what’s new as much as having a specific pedal in mind. 

Edited by krispn
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Supernaut said:

Basic board but it works for me! 

424377410_PedalBoard.thumb.jpg.3e5730d59363ab785d9284dec4170e25.jpg

I do like the Xotic booster / drive pedals. I'm using the BB preamp at the mo, into a cab sim and nothing else, and I've got an RC for when I don't want as much drive.

On 1/12/2021 at 10:30, soldersqueeze said:

Esto es duro como el infierno. Encantado de ver un 506 en uso, ¿puedes decir para qué lo estás usando? También tengo curiosidad por la ruta de la señal y lo que hace esa caja con conectores frontales.

hello! I use the 506 to play games, it is very dirty so it can only be in an effects loop ... that ghoulish box was a good idea with a poor realization, it is a feedback loop (switchable) and a general volume control. It is a rather uncontrolled table, to go out to play I only place the tuner, the oc2 and the compressor or preamp, it depends on the situation!

8 hours ago, ern500evo said:

My board, which looks like a kids toy up to some of the awesome creations in this thread! The Arachnid Audio switch isn’t used anymore, it was just a channel switch for my old GK amp 

285A2031-F92E-45C0-A0A7-DBEBC71CE808.jpeg

Nothing wrong with a board that does all you ask of it. I admire anyone who can stop buying pedal after pedal, board after board. I am hopeless.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Just shot this picture of my updated pedal setup:

Bass-Pedal-Setup-041221-Mellem.jpg

My entire signal chain for my "amp-less" setup explained in written form :

(*pedals listed in red/bold/underline text ] are "always on" effects*)

4 string 28,6" scale Ibanez GSRM20 neck + GSRM20B body Mikro Bass (equipped with an EMG Geezer Butler P pickup, wired directly to the output jack socket, and strung with gauge .080 - .060 - .045 - .034 D'Addario XL nickle plated roundwound hex steel core strings, tuned in G standard tuning, 3 half steps above regular 4 string bass E standard tuning) ->> 

TC Electronic SpectraComp (always on 3 band parallel compression, adding extra punch, snap and bite, but without really affecting my playing dynamics) ->> TC Electronic Sub'N'Up Mini (always on digital polyphonic octaver, used as an 1 octave up effect mixed with clean bass signal, giving an effect similar to that of an 8 string "octave" bass, with pairs of respectively bass and octave strings) ->> Boss LS-2 [A+B Mix <-> Bypass] (always on parallel effect loops mixer/switch) ={ [Loop A Send] ->> Joyo Orange Juice (always on low gain overdrive, [Tone] set at about 11 o'clock, [Voice] set to boost a wide curve around a 800Hz center frequency about +3dB pre gain stage, always mixed with clean {bass+octave up} signal from parallel effects [Loop B]) ->> [Loop A Return] ->||<-  [Loop B Send] ->> (empty effects loop for clean {bass+octave up} signal blend with Orange Juice in effects [Loop A]) ->> [Loop B Return] ([Loop A] + [Loop B] mixed at an about 50/50 ratio) }=>> Boss LS-2 [A+B Mix <-> Bypass] (always on parallel effect loops mixer/switch) ={ [Loop A Send] ->> Behringer SF300 Super Fuzz (Boss FZ-2/Univox Super Fuzz clone, octave fuzz, always mixed with either clean {bass+octave up} signal or the Metal Zone distortion from parallel effects [Loop B]) ->> Mosky Black Rat (RAT clone, in Turbo RAT, LED diode clipping, mode, quite raunchy, fuzz-esque, high gain distortion, always used mixed with the Metal Zone distortion in parallel effects [Loop B]) ->> Monarch MFL-22 (flanger, most often used mixed with phaser in parallel effects [Loop B]) ->> [Loop A Return] ->||<- [Loop B Send] ->> Joyo Orange Juice (always on low gain overdrive, approximately same settings as the other Orange Juice, except slightly higher gain setting, mixed with clean {bass+octave up}, Black Rat or Monarch flanger signal from parallel effects [Loop A]) ->> Boss MT-2 Metal Zone (distortion, used with a relatively low gain setting, always used with the Orange Juice behind it stacked into it, and always used mixed with the Rat distortion in parallel effects [Loop A]) ->> Behringer VP1 Vintage Phaser (EHX Small Stone clone, used in the high feedback and deep sweep mode, always used boosted by the Hotone Trem in front of it, and almost always used mixed with flanger in parallel effects [Loop A]) ->> Hotone Trem (Tremolo with rate and depth at 0, always used to boost the Behringer phaser placed behind it and make it a bit brighter, since it's a few dB above unity gain when engaged and got a tone control) ->> [Loop B Return] ([Loop A] + [Loop B] mixed at an about 55/45 ratio) }=>> Behringer UT100 Ultra Tremolo (almost always used staked into the Shaker chorus in front of it) ->> TC Electronic Shaker Mini (vibrato functioning as a chorus, loaded with a Boss CE-1/EHX Small Stone fusion -esque toneprint, almost always used with the Behringer tremolo staked into it) ->> Artec SE-EQ8 (always on 8 band graphic equalizer, settings as follows: [Freq=100Hz LoShlv Boost=+1dB ; Freq=170Hz Q=wide Boost=+1dB ; Freq=280Hz Q=narrow Boost=+3dB ; Freq=500Hz Q=narrow Boost=+2dB ; Freq=800Hz Q=narrow Boost=+1dB ; Freq=1.4kHz Q=narrow Boost=+2dB ; Freq=2.3kHz Q=wide Boost=+3dB ; Freq=5kHz HiShlv +/- 0dB]) ->> Zoom G1Xon (Always on subtle plate reverb, and additionally used for 4 other reverb patches, which respectively are as follows: Plate Reverb->HD Hall Reverb->Tape Delay, more prominent reverb :-: '63 Spring Reverb->Analog Delay (set to a slapback type delay), lush splashy spring reverb :-: '63 Spring Reverb->Tape Delay (set to a slapback type delay), brighter sounding lush splashy spring reverb :-: Plate Reverb->HD Hall Reverb->Tape Delay, extremely thick lush reverb, used as a reverb pad effect with volume swells via the build in expression pedal, as well as a trippy reverse delay patch, and an aggressive quacky "wOÚh" filter effect patch controlled with the build in expression pedal) ->> NUX Tape Core Deluxe (Roland Space Echo tape delay emulation) ->> Zoom MS-70CDR (Always on "160 Comp" (emulating a DBX 160A compressor), set to a quite subtle compression -> always on 2 x 2 band parametric EQ : [Freq=63Hz Q=4 Boost=+1dB ; Freq=250Hz Q=4 Boost=+1dB ; Freq=400Hz Q=4 Boost=+1dB ; Freq=1kHz Q=4 Boost=+1dB] -> always on faux, EQ based, cab sim, consisting of a 2 band parametric EQ set as follows: [Freq=12kHz Q=1 Cut=-18dB ; Freq=20kHz Q=0.5 Cut=-20dB], and additionally used for a lush Church reverb that can be switched on/off, which is often used combined with the other reverb effects of the G1Xon) ->> Joyo American Sound (always on clean preamp, Tech 21 Blonde clone, analog Fender style preamp/overdrive emulation, with [Low], 125Hz, and [High], 3.2kHz set ever so slightly above noon, and [Mid], 400Hz, and [Voice], 800Hz, pre gain stage, set at about 2 o'clock, which would be just about +3dB, [Mid] set ever so slightly higher, equal to maybe an additional +0.5dB, all EQ points controling a quite wide Q curve around the center frequency)

->> EHX Black Finger (always on tube driven optical compressor, used primarily as a tube preamp stage) ->> ART Tube MP Project Series (tube preamp, with HPF fixed @40Hz)

// ->> Band rehearsal/jamming/gigging  // ->> Home practice // ->> Home recordings //  

// ->> Band rehearsal/jamming/gigging ->>  [Effects Return] (poweramp input) of Peavey Solo Special 112 (160W, solid state guitar combo, with the build in 4 Ohm 12" speaker unit disconnected and instead hooked up to a The Box PA 502 PA speaker) ->> The Box PA 502 (full range PA speaker with 1x 15"  woofer/mids driver + 1.7" high frequency tweeter horn) // ->> Home practice ->> The Mix Mix 502 (mixer) ->> Sennheiser HD 380 Pro (headphones) // ->> Home recordings ->> M-Audio Fast Track (audio interface) ->> Reaper (DAW) //

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

On 02/09/2021 at 14:39, DiMarco said:

I have tons of pedals. A lot of them boutique... But what I really need for the band is just this:

• Dirty compressor
  • Dirty fuzz (and I mean RAUNCHY AF!)
  • Dirty pre-amp

Always real valves. Nothing else comes close. Modelling is still not an option in 2021. Call me a snob.

The Black Finger is set to add a little tube breakup - just a hint of it. This makes the fuzz and OD on the Le Bass come out way stronger.

Giygas is used for Beastie Boys, Blur, Muse sorta tones. The OD on the Le Bass is for Foo Fighters, Fountains of Wayne, Presidents of the USA etc tube grit.

While I do have more exotic effects like envelope phasers, tremolo, octavers etc. I never actually use any of those on stage. Just stuff to make my sound more powerful and add organic tasting dirt.

These pedals right here are perfect for that particular job.

pedalboard_minimalistic.thumb.jpg.9197c3a619368d221044012257dffdb4.jpg

The EHX Black Finger is a killer pedal, even if I use it with the compression practically dialed completely out of the equation as a tube preamp stage.

Probably the #1 favorite out of all the pedals I own.

Just makes everything you run through it sound better. 

Such a shame EHX discontinued this series of of big double preamp tube equipped pedals, they were a lot of value for the money, considering the tubes are run at proper high 300V plate voltage.

Really regret being stupid enough to sell the EHX LPB-2ube tube preamp that I owned at some point, even if the Black Finger actually makes for an excellent tube preamp in the normal compression mode with the Compress knob dialed down, heck it even makes for a nice low gain tube overdrive that way.

Have you tried swapping tubes in it?

I haven't personally as I like the EHX ones it came with, but curious as to what results could be obtained by swapping out the tubes for some different models, eventual even lower gain tubes than the stock 12AX7 ones.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

On 07/12/2021 at 18:54, ThirteenDevils said:

well this was the state of play this afternoon, home practice setup into headphones. 

IMG_20211207_141012785.jpg

Is that Keeley hand signed / prototype? They’re such amazing pedals. I LOVE mine. It just squashes according to how you set the knobs but otherwise stays out of the way of the signal path. Mine will have to be prised from cold dead hands. 

-Line 6 G50

-Polytune 3 Mini (buffered output option)

-Sadowsky preamp (used to make my passive Jazz sound more like my Sadowsky 5)

-Digitech Drop

-Line 6 HX Effects

-EHX Big Muff Nano in loop of HX set to 65% wet

-Tech 21 VT Bass DI

-Two Notes CAB-M

-Pedal Power Mondo power supply

On the very rare occasion I want to use an amp I use the parallel out on the Tech 21, otherwise it’s straight into the PA.

C043D3EA-20F8-4FAF-8B26-4DCDD0001EF1.jpeg

Edited by NicoMcJ
  • Like 3