Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

10 minutes ago, krispn said:

Funnily enough I just nabbed a spark- the 4 knob/3way switch model and I really like the way it works on bass. I’d say it’s a better than many 2 band eqs I’ve played (not sure where the bass or treble is voiced or what the eq points are on the mid or fat setting) but they just sound good. The three voicings all do what one would expect and are all useable. To be honest it’s a pedal

I’ve been after for ages but always missed them when they’ve come up used. It really is a sleeper pedal and for those after that low gain/slight edge it should really be considered as it can do that thing really well. 

I only had the mini boost version, which I think is very much aimed at guitarists. I definitely appreciate the extra EQ on the Thump!

Si

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Love the board Si! I was interested to see that, as as a semi-pro / pro musician and one who has introduced me to the delights of Elrick basses, you don't feel the need for a dedicated pedal-board compressor? (Genuine Q, and not wanting to stir a hornet's nest!)

Amateur or pro, bedroom player or stadium rocker the use or non use of any effect, compressor or otherwise means nothing. It’s simply down to the player preference. Not to drag this all

up again but a comp doesn’t have to kill dynamics to be found to have its uses. It can be a tool or an effect. In much the same way a drive pedal can be a tone enhancer, it doesn’t have to be set with all knobs at 10 and rip your face off. It can be used for subtle tone enhancement. It’s why the knobs have a sweep and can be set to taste😀

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Sibob said:

I only had the mini boost version, which I think is very much aimed at guitarists. I definitely appreciate the extra EQ on the Thump!

Si

Yeah I’d agree with that. If you get a chance to try the ‘big’ spark it’s well worth a look for on average £30 a pop but that thump is as adorable as it is functional. It’s basically a condensed version of their bigger green box preamp right? 

Edited by krispn

@Sibobthose Noble di’s are so good. Have you tried using the bass cut switch engaged  and boosting a touch more of the lows? It kinda shifts the bass eq curve and adds a really nice week bump in the low end. I’d say with a p bass it’s my fav setting on these (with treble to taste). Oh and the spark 2 band eq  does not sound as good as the Nobles 😀

On 23/10/2021 at 09:39, krispn said:

Yeah I’d agree with that. If you get a chance to try the ‘big’ spark it’s well worth a look for on average £30 a pop but that thump is as adorable as it is functional. It’s basically a condensed version of their bigger green box preamp right? 

It’s slightly different, similar EQ section I think, but the preamp of the Thump is based off the old Echoplex preamp.

On 23/10/2021 at 09:47, krispn said:

@Sibobthose Noble di’s are so good. Have you tried using the bass cut switch engaged  and boosting a touch more of the lows? It kinda shifts the bass eq curve and adds a really nice week bump in the low end. I’d say with a p bass it’s my fav setting on these (with treble to taste). Oh and the spark 2 band eq  does not sound as good as the Nobles 😀

I have tried it, and while it definitly has a use, I felt it was losing the Precisions low-end character in favour of the Nobles low-end character. As I say, sounds great, has its place, but not all the time for me.

Si

• Like 1

On 23/10/2021 at 09:37, krispn said:

Amateur or pro, bedroom player or stadium rocker the use or non use of any effect, compressor or otherwise means nothing. It’s simply down to the player preference. Not to drag this all up again but a comp doesn’t have to kill dynamics to be found to have its uses. It can be a tool or an effect. In much the same way a drive pedal can be a tone enhancer, it doesn’t have to be set with all knobs at 10 and rip your face off. It can be used for subtle tone enhancement. It’s why the knobs have a sweep and can be set to taste😀

Yup no debate from me on any of the above. I'm sure Si knows very well how to use a comp and wouldn't be using one to "rip his face off" - lol! I was just genuinely interested in getting his take for not having one on his board, as he is a bass player whose sound I really like a lot and is playing in a band who are top notch live.

I've just rebuilt my pedal board. It's much more minimal than before but much better sounding.  My first couple years playing I bought loads of pedals and they all sounded terrible so I did a lot of research and ended up with these:

Two Notes Le Bass dual channel valve preamp 

Origin Effects Cali 76B compressor 

Orange Fur Coat fuzz & octave up

Boss TU3 tuner

Harley Benton ISO 2 Pro power supply 

20211101_165954.jpg

• Like 2

With the arrival of the B-stock TC Ditto x2, the pedalboard is - for now at least - complete. 

I still need the power supply which should be here next week. I went for a Cioks DC5 which will attach underneath the Pedaltrain.

I’ve used EBS flat patch cables to connect it all together, they’re really nice quality with a low profile plug that doesn’t take up too much room.

The first pedal is a Darkglass B7K, used primarily as a preamp, the distortion settings are fantastic though.

Then a TC Electronic Ditto x2. The stereo signal from the Ditto goes into the fabulous Mod Devices Dwarf, which is also stereo and allows for each side of the signal to pass through a different chain of effects.

The next two pedals are a Neunaber Immerse V2 reverb and an MXR M300 reverb. These two pedals are also stereo.

There’s also an Ernie Ball VPJR volume pedal too, that’s not in the photo.

5519E68E-3B89-43D0-9256-DF5E9A204911.jpeg

DD1B45B1-693B-4BA0-98F7-52683E76D920.jpeg

12629E8E-83E6-42B7-BCFE-CF2B7A65AB22.jpeg

Edited by ambient
  • Like 6

Debating whether two (differently flavoured) octavers is overkill.

Got the MXR recently as wasn’t always 100% happy with the Okto side of the Emma Electronics pedal, but now it’s been on the board for a few weeks I’m missing the Nøjs side of the Emma…

Hmm.E0D0965D-3E6B-402D-A216-ACCAFD38E101.thumb.jpeg.50b04ce622335f94eda6e6d3f0d5a575.jpeg

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Thunderbird said:

Nice board 

How do you find the diaddario tuner I really fancied one but the 70 quid price tag really put me off

Love it tbh - much better than the previous Pitchblacks that i had. The display is excellent.

I picked it up for £20 used off ebay a couple of years ago :-) 

If it went pop i wouldn't hesitate in getting another one.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353525802000?var=0&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338343596&toolid=10001&customid=eb%3Ag%3Avms%3Aeb%3Ap%3A353525802000%3BCj0KCQjw8p2MBhCiARIsADDUFVEdyQohsDLutGdkepDssmBVSbsSxSd8ExTuwuu-EV46cfrBeELmTy4aApx4EALw_wcB&gclid=Cj0KCQjw8p2MBhCiARIsADDUFVEdyQohsDLutGdkepDssmBVSbsSxSd8ExTuwuu-EV46cfrBeELmTy4aApx4EALw_wcB

Edited by Mudpup

5 minutes ago, Mudpup said:

Awesome thanks 👍

On 06/11/2021 at 12:06, ambient said:

With the arrival of the B-stock TC Ditto x2, the pedalboard is - for now at least - complete. 

I still need the power supply which should be here next week. I went for a Cioks DC5 which will attach underneath the Pedaltrain.

I’ve used EBS flat patch cables to connect it all together, they’re really nice quality with a low profile plug that doesn’t take up too much room.

The first pedal is a Darkglass B7K, used primarily as a preamp, the distortion settings are fantastic though.

Then a TC Electronic Ditto x2. The stereo signal from the Ditto goes into the fabulous Mod Devices Dwarf, which is also stereo and allows for each side of the signal to pass through a different chain of effects.

The next two pedals are a Neunaber Immerse V2 reverb and an MXR M300 reverb. These two pedals are also stereo.

None more black!

• Like 1

On 06/11/2021 at 12:06, ambient said:

... interested in the Mod Devices Dwarf, used to have a HX Stomp and sold it to go mostly analogue etc etc. However the Mod stuff has perked my curiosity. Will you need to use any current or voltage doublers when powering it with the Cioks unit?

Edited by jimbobothy
spelling
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, jimbobothy said:

... interested in the Mod Devices Dwarf, used to have a HX Stomp and sold it to go mostly analogue etc etc. However the Mod stuff has perked my curiosity. Will you need to use any current or voltage doublers when powering it with the Cioks unit?

It’s a super little device. I believe the difference between this and the HX is that you have total freedom with the Dwarf over the effects that are on it, and how they’re chained together.

I’m only using the Cioks to power the other pedals, the Dwarf has its own supply.

This is my current ‘pedalboard’ on the Dwarf.

24C754B4-AB25-4172-83BE-F32642B733E2.jpeg

• Like 2