Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

A fair bit of faffing about with new pedals lately, a couple might get changed but most are staying put:

thumbnail_20211013_145210.thumb.jpg.752bb2468e529985124f59865a6d3e83.jpg

This is the signal order (although there are 2x loops that can have their order reversed)

• EHX Switchblade Pro: Very useful, only issue is it's a bit too easy to confuse which loop is which and what order they are in.
  • Aguilar Octamizer: This is the 2nd time I've owned one. I've been through a lot of Octave pedals and this is my favourite.
  • MXR M87: My favourite envelope filter for responsive quick stuff. Still on the lookout for a down-sweeping more synthy filter too though. 
  • EBS DPhaser: Versatile and sounds good but I only subtle use low resonance 4 pole settings so am tempted to see how something like the MXR Phase 45 script compares. 
  • EBS Black Haze: A nice heavy fuzzy sounding distortion, I have it for sale though as its more high-gain than I want (but with 'drive' set at minimum and a clean blend via the switchblade and some EQing and it sounds how I want it to - ideally I want something that does that without me having to change all those other settings each time though).
  • MXR Brown Acid: I've tried quite a few fuzzes and this is my favourite.
  • Zoom B1-four: Great value, not quite good enough sounds or control to have replaced any of my other pedals (other than tuner) but it covers chorus and synth (90% of what I use it for). I'm selling it to replace with a Zoom MS-60B as that does what I need in a smaller size and can apparently scroll through presents with the footswitch but I'm reconsidering as I think the one-way scroll through might be a pain. Or, it'd cost more but in place of a Zoom I could possibly squeeze in individual tuner, chorus and synth pedals.
  • Broughton Fliptop: Nice sounding preamp that fattens things up and can do light overdrive, the cab sim control is decent too. 
  • FEA Opti-FET Compressor: I really like this, it somehow takes the edge off harsh effects while also making everything more punchy. 
  • Tech 21 QStrip: Bought impulsively (I think a few on Basschat have owned this very one!) and it ended up replacing my recently bought Laney Digbeth Preamp that was just within the return time. The Laney is good but I preferred the additional EQ of the Q Strip and like to have my preamp/overdrive as separate pedals. 
  • Like 3

Your board is looking good!

1 hour ago, SumOne said:

I'm selling it to replace with a Zoom MS-60B as that does what I need in a smaller size and can apparently scroll through presents with the footswitch but I'm reconsidering as I think the one-way scroll through might be a pain. 

Agreed about the one-way scroll particularly for live work. However if you're using it for just 2 or 3 fx then no biggie as you can load those in order in blocks of 2 or 3 and then simply cycle through on the MS-60B

You've obviously also got on the B1-4:

- 50 vs 26 patches you can load up;

- a much easier interface;

- global EQ and vol;

- drum machine and headphone-out / aux in for home practice;

- 5 vs 4 fx per patch;

- basic looper.

But not sure how many of those additional features you'll particularly be wanting?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Your board is looking good!

Agreed about the one-way scroll particularly for live work. However if you're using it for just 2 or 3 fx then no biggie as you can load those in order in blocks of 2 or 3 and then simply cycle through on the MS-60B

You've obviously also got on the B1-4:

- 50 vs 26 patches you can load up;

- a much easier interface;

- global EQ and vol;

- drum machine and headphone-out / aux in for home practice;

- 5 vs 4 fx per patch;

- basic looper.

But not sure how many of those additional features you'll particularly be wanting?

Yeah I don't particularly use those things but the scrolling could be a hassle... I might reconsider selling it. 

Pedal order, Mini Ego (compressor) - Quint Machine (octaver) - Bass Clone (chorus) - Carbon Copy Mini (delay) - VT Bass (preamp.) The Carbon Copy only gets used sparingly whilst the others are always on effects. I just switched out the old patch cables for some nice EBS gold flat patch cables so I could use a smaller board but then I worry I'll find something new to add and then not have enough room.

IMG_20211013_174535.jpg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, TeresaFR said:

Pedal order, Mini Ego (compressor) - Quint Machine (octaver) - Bass Clone (chorus) - Carbon Copy Mini (delay) - VT Bass (preamp.) The Carbon Copy only gets used sparingly whilst the others are always on effects. I just switched out the old patch cables for some nice EBS gold flat patch cables so I could use a smaller board but then I worry I'll find something new to add and then not have enough room.

IMG_20211013_174535.jpg

Zomg that bass!! 

• Like 1

Made a couple of changes for the better I think.

Swapped out the TC Spark for the MXR Thump, WAY more functionality of course, and I do love the MXR bass range!
The Thump is actually marginally smaller than the Spark too, which has allowed me to swap out my COG Knightfall 66 Mini for my custom COG Tarkin, which again, has a lot more functionality on it.

Chain is:

Bass -> MXR Thump -> COG Tarkin -> Boss TU3W -> MXR Envelope Filter -> Boss OC2 -> MXR Bass Chorus -> Noble Pre -> Amp

562521651_PedalboardOct21.thumb.jpg.7c44f2d800da480eb75612ec191c36f7.jpg

Si

• Like 7

43 minutes ago, Sibob said:

Swapped out the TC Spark for the MXR Thump, WAY more functionality of course, and I do love the MXR bass range!
The Thump is actually marginally smaller than the Spark too, which has allowed me to swap out my COG Knightfall 66 Mini for my custom COG Tarkin, which again, has a lot more functionality on it.

Chain is:

Bass -> MXR Thump -> COG Tarkin -> Boss TU3W -> MXR Envelope Filter -> Boss OC2 -> MXR Bass Chorus -> Noble Pre -> Amp

Si

Love the functionality and portability of that board 😍 how does the OC-2 sound coming after the filter? Would that not throw off the tracking?

• Like 1

I was playing around with overdrive order and put together this mini board. I'm kind of falling in love with stacking gain stages at the moment.

The Morning Glory is a light overdrive, which works well for that crappy early 2000s indie sound (one band I play with does a lot of that kind of thing). Then the Plumes is a midrange distortion for something more full on. And they stack very nicely. The Octabvre and the Proton are ever present.

IMG20211015133948.thumb.jpg.056f9b755407e79b298ebd930e9bf1f2.jpg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bassist_lewis said:

Love the functionality and portability of that board 😍 how does the OC-2 sound coming after the filter? Would that not throw off the tracking?

I rarely, if ever, use them together on this board, so it’s not an issue. I could simply swap them around if needed I suppose. 
I think the only stacking I do is Fuzz into Chorus.

Si

• Like 2

On 15/10/2021 at 13:51, bassist_lewis said:

I was playing around with overdrive order and put together this mini board. I'm kind of falling in love with stacking gain stages at the moment.

The Morning Glory is a light overdrive, which works well for that crappy early 2000s indie sound (one band I play with does a lot of that kind of thing). Then the Plumes is a midrange distortion for something more full on. And they stack very nicely. The Octabvre and the Proton are ever present.

IMG20211015133948.thumb.jpg.056f9b755407e79b298ebd930e9bf1f2.jpg

So... I've honed it down to suit most situations.. pedalboard mini is my mostly live board .. pedaltrain 1 can be added to enhance the situation for more 'fringe' projects! .. (maybe I would shift the chorus to be before the delay but actually, it works great as it is, don't think I will have all on at the same time!? ... or maybe!!? 🤔🤡😬😉😊

IMG_20211019_081830153~2.jpg

Edited by bottomfeed
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, danny-79 said:

Tablet gone screwy. I’m trying to ask Lewis, how you getting on with the Octabvre? I’m looking for a new octave pedal and like the look of that 

It's by far the best octave I've used or heard. It tracks really well down to around G/F#, the tones available are great, and having the option to solo the octave signal is very cool. I also have the mk iii, which is even better because you can control the levels of the dry and octave signal independently, plus you have the 'Tim Tuning' switch. However, they are very difficult to find secondhand, probably because they are so good, and Spencer was off the grid with mental health issues for about 4 months and is currently finishing back orders. He is getting back into it but no indication as to when he's going to be taking new orders.

• Like 1

This is pleasing!

Quick over view:  Bass>Cali76>Stomp>Spark

Trapper in the FX loop of the Stomp, mix at about 75% set as pictured.

The Cali76 is just catching peaks and only really doing about 5dB gr. I normally play quite evenly so it's more for the tone enhancements the unit provides as much as the gentle/subtle compression. The spark is set to the 'Mid' voicing and is just a lovely addition adding in some poke and a touch of very slight gain/edge. It really is a combination of gain staging in small levels whihc just adds to the overall sound - a glorious "clean" (slightly gritty) always on tone with added drive when needed. There's a bit of eq happening on the Spark too but its not overly colouring things. Playing this set up into a very clean SS amp and it's really nice!

30C3473D-8626-412B-8AC1-B55C08C868D9.jpeg

Edited by krispn
  • Like 6

On 19/10/2021 at 08:30, bottomfeed said:

So... I've honed it down to suit most situations.. pedalboard mini is my mostly live board .. pedaltrain 1 can be added to enhance the situation for more 'fringe' projects! .. (maybe I would shift the chorus to be before the delay but actually, it works great as it is, don't think I will have all on at the same time!? ... or maybe!!? 🤔🤡😬😉😊

IMG_20211019_081830153~2.jpg

I like that idea of separate boards that can be combined. I've got one medium sized pedalboard that's quite a squeeze to fit everything on but if playing stuff like Reggae there's no need for fuzz pedals and phasers and envelope filters so a separate 'utility/clean tone' type small board with tuner>preamp>compressor>EQ/DI could be good, then an additional board with all the muck about effects can be added ahead of it when needed.  

• Like 1

On 15/10/2021 at 13:01, Sibob said:

Chain is:

Si

Love the board Si! I was interested to see that, as as a semi-pro / pro musician and one who has introduced me to the delights of Elrick basses, you don't feel the need for a dedicated pedal-board compressor? (Genuine Q, and not wanting to stir a hornet's nest!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Love the board Si! I was interested to see that, as as a semi-pro / pro musician and one who has introduced me to the delights of Elrick basses, you don't feel the need for a dedicated pedal-board compressor? (Genuine Q, and not wanting to stir a hornet's nest!)

Yeah it’s just something I’ve never felt the need for, or when I’ve used one, have noticed a palpable improvement. I very much like having full and complete control over dynamics from my hands.

Si

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Oh you cheeky bugger 😆😆😆

• Haha 1