Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

35 minutes ago, pantherairsoft said:

It was a few years ago, but in some capacity it played a part in almost every track you can find here - https://ourhelicalmind.bandcamp.com

We were just live drums and bass, so all the instrumentation that you hear is the bass, loading with effects. The Geiger counter was one of the core elements of all the distorted and synth tones (mixed with filters, modulation and pitch shifting etc).

Damn that's wonderfully creative! Bravo chap! 

• Like 2

On 18/06/2021 at 17:31, pantherairsoft said:

Refined set up for all things noisy/ambient/synthy.

Pretty happy with everything overall and it'll certainly do me for the current project...

The Vintage Microtubes isn't really my choice of OD sound (a bit too rock/metal) for the stuff I'm doing now, so I might swap that out some something a bit more ‘me’, however it does stack well with the Alpha Omicron. Also, the Xerograph is getting less use now that the Barbenera has taken prime spot for synth swells. It's a nice envelope filter, but it's not my favourite as a stand alone classic filter (that spot goes to the Subdecay Prometheus, which I miss very much!), so may be on the chopping block soon for something else.

IMG_3605.jpg

IMG_3606.jpg

IMG_3607.jpg

For those of you interested in the signal chain...

• Instrument input > Onto Nojs >
  • Darkglass Alpha Omicron >
  • Darkglass Vintage Microtubes >
  • Bananana Effects Matryoshka Bass Synth >
  • Iron Ether Xerograph Deluxe >
  • Nemphasis Steam Bass >
  • EBS DPhaser >
  • Triungolo Labs Barbanera (+ Moog EP-3 Expression Pedal) >
  • Source Audio Nemesis Delay >
  • Neunaber Immerse Reverb >
  • TC Electronic Polytune > Output to amp

Everything is mounted to a Pedaltrain Classic 2, cabled with EBS flat patch cables (gold) and powered by a Cioks DC7 power supply (which is easily the best power supply I've ever used).

Suddenly find myself paying much closer attention to your pedal boards for some reason! Maybe the multiple album releases have something to do with it... 😄 

So which board is your WMD currently sitting on? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Suddenly find myself paying much closer attention to your pedal boards for some reason! Maybe the multiple album releases have something to do with it... 😄 

So which board is your WMD currently sitting on? 

I used to be pretty active around here some years ago and ran a blog about effects etc... but I stepped away from bass after getting divorced and life getting messy. At that time, I sold my entire library of effects, including the WMD stuff (I used a Super FatMan from them as well).

This very thread will have more pedalboards of mine in it than I care to remember, but here is the big touring board I used with Our Helical Mind, and where the WMD stuff was a pretty critical part of the sound... It's a 2-tier board, so there are a load of other pedals you can't see that were controlled by the GigRig Quarter Master, or in the loop of other effects.

It looks cool, but try taking it on tour - it took 2 people to lift it (that board is 1.4m wide).

I ended up refining this set up and stripping it down to two smaller Diago boards that I linked together, which revolved around making due with fewer tones and using an Eventide Pitchfacter to replace a LOT of the pedals (that thing is insanely good).

Good times!

3CD4B912-CB1D-4DEC-9FB5-B94773A98206.jpeg

9C9C2CAC-D861-40C6-B5D3-61EE4ADCBE4C.jpeg

6971D92D-8452-464D-9C8C-91149D54788A.jpeg

063CC748-C805-4429-94DB-76F39D6D9CE5.jpeg

121519C0-13BF-402D-A6EB-28E3901200C6.jpeg

C9CC1B5C-D740-4F18-B8A2-6A1144533096.jpeg

B9353A89-0CE6-44C9-A0A4-A2C4C5893ED4.jpeg

Edited by pantherairsoft
  • Like 16

14 hours ago, pantherairsoft said:

I used to be pretty active around here some years ago and ran a blog about effects etc... but I stepped away from bass after getting divorced and life getting messy. At that time, I sold my entire library of effects, including the WMD stuff (I used a Super FatMan from them as well).

This very thread will have more pedalboards of mine in it than I care to remember, but here is the big touring board I used with Our Helical Mind, and where the WMD stuff was a pretty critical part of the sound... It's a 2-tier board, so there are a load of other pedals you can't see that were controlled by the GigRig Quarter Master, or in the loop of other effects.

It looks cool, but try taking it on tour - it took 2 people to lift it (that board is 1.4m wide).

I ended up refining this set up and stripping it down to two smaller Diago boards that I linked together, which revolved around making due with fewer tones and using an Eventide Pitchfacter to replace a LOT of the pedals (that thing is insanely good).

Good times!

Mkaes me really want to grab the phaser and miss my Freqbox

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 51m0n said:

That much Moog makes me sweaty in a somewhat embarrassing way 😍

There were two more at one point!

One of my biggest regrets in life was selling the Cluster Flux. That pedal was the single most creative thing I've ever made noise with.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, pantherairsoft said:

Good times!

Ahh I remember those boards! I was a fan of "our Helical Mind" at the time, and you actually inspired me,to get more into effects and electronic music. I actuslly bought one of your Diago boards at the time 😁

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, lee650 said:

Ahh I remember those boards! I was a fan of "our Helical Mind" at the time, and you actually inspired me,to get more into effects and electronic music. I actuslly bought one of your Diago boards at the time 😁

Thanks!

I was pretty fond of that 2-board set up... it felt like a compromise at the time, but on reflection, it was still ALOT of pedals! I have a few pics of the last version of that...

1C85BE9F-26CD-4445-82E4-68D56135D7B2.jpeg

C9748D1F-88BD-4CEB-9A36-74D60B9BD6B6.jpeg

757818FB-ACA9-4E3E-A723-659510436794.jpeg

• Like 3

I wonder where @CalDeep and your WMDs ended up?

I've had my WMD Civilian Issue for 5 mins, but having heard clips from your albums @pantherairsoft I'm already GAS-ing for one of its big brothers. The 2018 Pro version looks awesome...if anyone has one they've forgotten about which has been quietly disarmed in a cupboard somewhere...😊

• Like 2

Just now, Al Krow said:

I've had my WMD Civilian Issue for 5 mins, but having heard clips from your albums @pantherairsoft I'm already GAS-ing for one of its big brothers. The 2018 Pro version looks awesome...if anyone has one they've forgotten about which has been quietly disarmed in a cupboard somewhere...😊

The Pro came out after I'd stopped playing for a while - it looks insane, but I've never seen one in the wild. He does make some incredible toys though, I have no doubt that it rocks!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pantherairsoft said:

The Pro came out after I'd stopped playing for a while - it looks insane, but I've never seen one in the wild. He does make some incredible toys though, I have no doubt that it rocks!

He even specifically mentions us bass-players in his NAMM 2018 launch of the Pro - by virtue of having a clean blend.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

He even specifically mentions us bass-players in his NAMM 2018 launch of the Pro - by virtue of having a clean blend.

Nice.

For a period of time, he sold the regular (larger) GC in a 'bass version' too, and would even take back regular ones and mod them for bass. I understand that it just let a little clean through the signal. The GC regular and civi were never kind to low end, but then it's a bit crusher! It never bothered me as I ran mine (along with all the dirt effects) is an parallel loop along either a clean signal, or a sub octave. That said, as I prefer to play in projects without guitar etc. it's no issue to me to not always have huge low end.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Al Krow said:

I had the WMD Geiger as above. Had two weeks in a studio producing with my band, I used to nearly every day on something, by the 4th day I'd bought a pro...... Its a beast of a thing! Sadly not getting tonnes of use any more as 3Sigma have done a plugin model of it that is fantastic! 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CalDeep said:

I had the WMD Geiger as above. Had two weeks in a studio producing with my band, I used to nearly every day on something, by the 4th day I'd bought a pro...... Its a beast of a thing! Sadly not getting tonnes of use any more as 3Sigma have done a plugin model of it that is fantastic! 

If you want to part with the pro, fire me a PM! 

11 minutes ago, pantherairsoft said:

If you want to part with the pro, fire me a PM! 

Get thee behind me PM**

Trouble is I know for a fact you'll be putting this to better use than me, which makes me feel guilty about getting in ahead of the queue!

But not that guilty 😁

Edited by Al Krow
**Pokemon Master
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, gorandelac said:

Here is mine, @pantherairsoft what kind od Xerograph is that?

IMG_20210525_142741.jpg

The one on the really old huge board? That was a custom version designed to take +/-5v CV control to every knob so it could be controlled by the Moog MP-201. It was basically a replacement to using the Moog LPF, but to retain all the functionality.

The one on the smaller board is just a regular V1 Xero Deluxe.

• Like 2

My search for small but perfectly formed continues, but I've got the first part of my nano board flyrig sorted now: Thumpinator, Pitchblack mini and DG Hyper Luminal all nicely arranged and staying where they are (probably). The left hand side can be the pair that are on there in the pics, or a DG Vintage Microtubes Ultra v2 instead. All battery powered, and the gap where the power on and LEDs are in the middle also lets me break out other pedals if I want something else - there's a line plug underneath for power as well. Getting there.

The plug coming out of the front was a bit of a toss up, but it seems to work fine without getting stood on.

IMG_3648.JPEG.d1101e311d28bbad68a8375253310616.JPEG

IMG_3649.JPEG.7aa67faf753665c70567c64464f097db.JPEG

IMG_3650.thumb.JPEG.80ffead1cb1d36c94e4c7ef205192599.JPEG

• Like 4

Few updates to this incarnation.

I've dropped the h9 as it was waaay too many effects for my band and needs and I ended up after much exploration using only the reverb. So I decided to replace it with the walrus Audio R1 which so far, so good - small footprint, midi enabled, nice latch function and the algorithms so far feel like they fit my goals. 

I've also added a treble booster - War Pig by mustard effects. Sounds glorious through my matamp.

I need to sort the expression control still as haven't programmed that properly yet, and the cabling has gone from as good as I could do it (shoddy) to a car crash! 

Im really keen to try and get this into a smaller board but probably won't manage it. Still, happy with the sounds and layers its delivering!

_20210703_230419.JPG

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Salt on your Bass? said:

Few updates to this incarnation.

I've dropped the h9 as it was waaay too many effects for my band and needs and I ended up after much exploration using only the reverb. So I decided to replace it with the walrus Audio R1 which so far, so good - small footprint, midi enabled, nice latch function and the algorithms so far feel like they fit my goals. 

I've also added a treble booster - War Pig by mustard effects. Sounds glorious through my matamp.

I need to sort the expression control still as haven't programmed that properly yet, and the cabling has gone from as good as I could do it (shoddy) to a car crash! 

Im really keen to try and get this into a smaller board but probably won't manage it. Still, happy with the sounds and layers its delivering!

_20210703_230419.JPG

… you have a gap, have you decided what can go there yet 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, adamg67 said:

My search for small but perfectly formed continues, but I've got the first part of my nano board flyrig sorted now: Thumpinator, Pitchblack mini and DG Hyper Luminal all nicely arranged and staying where they are (probably). The left hand side can be the pair that are on there in the pics, or a DG Vintage Microtubes Ultra v2 instead. All battery powered, and the gap where the power on and LEDs are in the middle also lets me break out other pedals if I want something else - there's a line plug underneath for power as well. Getting there.

The plug coming out of the front was a bit of a toss up, but it seems to work fine without getting stood on.

IMG_3648.JPEG.d1101e311d28bbad68a8375253310616.JPEG

IMG_3649.JPEG.7aa67faf753665c70567c64464f097db.JPEG

IMG_3650.thumb.JPEG.80ffead1cb1d36c94e4c7ef205192599.JPEG

Are those your normal settings on the Hyper Luminal?

I have the blend and time about 2 o’clock, level to suit, compression at noon.  Ratio on 2 or 3.  SYM.  
but I can’t stop playing with it, as this pedal has so much variety.  Sort of tempted by the FET ‘all-in’ setting.