Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

17 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Well I never did! Biggest problem with this is incorporating other branded pedals.

Well just to make sure no-one else patents the idea, it was standard interconnector that could be fitted as a socket beneath pedals in parallel with standard power and signal jacks as well as custom ways for each pedal (for expression pedals, programming etc.) so all the power and interconnects could easily be provided, unseen, from beneath on a crowded but neat pedalboard with moveable matching connectors. It would be an opensource or licenced connector so that it could be adopted by multiple manufacturers.

It’s been a loooooooooooong time since I posted a board here and given the size of my old creations, this might seem a bit tame. But, this is my new essentials board (aka. “I want to sound like Tool”).

I’m super happy with this set up. The space at the top will eventually be filled by an Iron Ether Nimbus. One day. It’s a pedal I had and loved for the creative ambience is gave me. I sold it and nothing else really ever filled the hole.

Board consists of:

Darkglass Vintage Microtubes.

Darkglass Alpha Omicron.

Nemphasis Steam Bass.

Source Audio Nemesis.

TC Electronic PolyTune.

All sat on a PedalTrain Metro 16 and powered by a Cioks DC7.

8F5812C0-C267-4143-804E-1274B3484882.jpeg

64408986-B376-4CFE-9C23-B7CC80992846.jpeg

4A65B852-1F9D-4C78-B286-17F9F07F71D7.jpeg

09578674-1F12-4674-870C-9992BB160706.jpeg

• Like 8

For years I was in the bass-->tuner-->(sans)amp way of thinking, but still made a small board to keep my wireless receiver, tuner and sansamp together alongside a cheap PSU brick from Maplins. Can't find any pictures of that, but it was an MDF special.

That was fine for ages, but I was forced to re-design when we moved from changing instruments for different tunings to just using Drop pedals. I theorised that the Drop might track better on bass with a high-pass in front of it, and the addition of a grit pedal and some compression sounded like fun, so the prototype was put together:

prototype_sm.jpg.4970b8ba5bebc849861b57fa9fc7862b.jpg

That worked well and gave rise to the finished MDF sandwich where all the power cables were hidden and some handles and feet were added:

mdf_sandwich_sm.jpg.89da99d97e550861486aa1930e363d75.jpg

A successful board, but I eventually fancied having a proper power supply again instead of using a 1-spot, and we had a change of lead vocalist so there were sections of some newer songs that I thought might benefit from a bit of chorus or octave. I tried a few pedals out and found the ones I liked, nipped to B&Q for a shelf and some new hardware, and came back past a bike shop for a chain and breaker to make the mounts:

2019_sm.jpg.9b4195957fd9a5c081b9cf6db38665f5.jpg

No attempt to hide the cables this time, but I think it's still fairly neat and actually much easier to check and troubleshoot. Then I decided it wasn't quite heavy enough, so had a flight-case made for it!

2019_case_sm.jpg.9f58cf0c514775b21e162aa89cfd0a39.jpg

As much as I could perform most of the same functions with a flyrig or probably many (if not most) of the multi-fx units out there, there's something pleasing about having an old-school DIY board with individual units on it that are well spaced out so I can find them with my size 12s and literally do what they say on the tin.

• Like 12

For a Sunday bite-size tasty snack here is my “new” mini board.  Really it is just all my spare bits put together  into a compact functional unit.  If I was honest with myself (which would, of course, defeat the purpose of this forum) then this about as much pedal board as I really need, most of the time.  And it sounds very good, within its scope. The comp nova does a good job of adding some weight, the M5 has GREAT sounding modulations (and even some fun, semi-workable distortions), while the little Red Witch boost does exactly what it says.  The M5 takes almost the entire fuel tank to run it; I have used a four way power cable to make it happen. 

AD25F86E-DE89-4449-B6E2-EEE75B01736E.jpeg

• Like 3

So... the guitarist had my delay pedal for years, and it returned. I bought a Thumpinator from @GisserD coz the C4 Synth puts out crazy sub bass. Max at SFX Sound sent me a new label coz it was shagged. Good work SFX!

Thus, rewire and more power required. Had an old Thomann PSU, rewired it with thinner cable and an IEC plug which “folds” away with a bit of Velcro! Glued a shelf to mount it underneath with No More Nails. Board now powers up with one of those Y-split kettle leads.

Tuner > C4 Synth > Soul Food > Chorus > Delay > Thumpinator > Comp. So, aiming to keep dynamics through the chain and squash them at the end - comp kicks in on hotttest dry notes and then helps tame the madness when the synth is running!

USB hub to save running two cables to the board when programming C4 and MC6. Which is probs overkill for controlling one pedal but it’s a killer controller and it’s let me replace octave, filter and muff.

Points deducted for: not having enough patch cable left to make a hidden run from delay > Thumpinator. That green run is visible from overhead 😞. Not buying a shorter USB lead for the C4 and thus having to coil it under the tuner. Not buying a few shorter DC leads.

Space after the tuner for (I think) a looper. And I’ve left a 200mA outlet spare.

Quite pleased with this one 😎

6EEAD387-5724-4B01-87C0-FEA79B09119B.jpeg

61D5BD95-BD74-45D7-9EDB-1A85AED347B1.jpeg

D259A0CB-0C84-4BC5-8DF5-87E6E773CA60.jpeg

F27656A5-BAC9-41F2-BA22-99AD0D2DE11A.jpeg

5C17F451-2AD1-4035-84BD-4D73C8EAFBEC.jpeg

48E86093-8917-4637-97A6-9D0B2DB98D21.jpeg

Edited by moley6knipe
  • Like 7

On 20/03/2021 at 09:04, pantherairsoft said:

It’s been a loooooooooooong time since I posted a board here ...

...powered by a Cioks DC7.

Good to see your latest set up 😎

I wasn't aware of the Cioks range.

That DC7 looks like an incredibly versatile power supply.

I need to investigate further.

• Like 2

pedalboard version #$%^%$##

Had a big reshuffle as I needed to raise money,so got rid of a few expensive pedals, but bought a few new ones 😂 Classic 2 pedalboard version 2

Custom Pedal boards mini patch bay - got fed up with plugging leads into various points,so now input/output conveniently in one place.  SEND goes Into-

Cali76 CB - I've tried most of them and love this for versatility while still being intuitive to use. It has fantastic natural tone,which just makes you sound better

This then goes into the main input of a Boss LS2,so all channels are massaged by the Cali76.

Ls2 Loop A 

Cog T70 triple Octave - 3 channel octaves with its own loop. Two separate T65 octaves which ive set 1 for a clean smooth octave and another for a synthy octave up sound, utilising the filters (usually with the Red Ripper engaged, so the B channel is more of a synthy deep distortion). It has a third "sub" channel which has no clean just octave. The filters can get this fairly close to the OC2 sound. The loop on this enables "parallel" octave so any effects used have the octave clean underneath, in this loop I have

Tech 21 Red Ripper -very dynamic and synthy fuzz/distortion. Has as 3 band EQ and can cop muff fuzz sounds for creamy rock tones as well as the quasi envelope Filtered synth fuzz.

Ls2 Loop B - Standalone effects

Zvex Mastatron - A variant of the mighty Wooly mammoth! Has an input impedance control so it works great with active basses. The benchmark for synth fuzz. Has a variable subs control so it sounds huge and deep.

Source Audio C4 Synth - Absolutely fantastic synth pedal that can do so much more!! A fully fledged Eurorack in a pedal. It can also cover filter/octave/chorus/phaser/tremolo. I thought I'd be happy with the standard 6 presets, but this has so many great presets it's impossible to pick 6 so I bought 

Disaster Area DMC.Micro Midi controller-  so I can now access 128 presets as well as Expression control.

MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe - fantastic warm chorus/Flanger. I have it set to affect only the high end,so subtle but a lovely sound. I particularly love the Flanger setting.

EBS Dphaser - very funky and versatile phaser with loads of control and various stages (switchable inside) 3 modes 4/6 stage, 8/10 stage and 15 stage (this sounds very flange like)

Hotone Krush - I keep buying expensive bit crush/sample rate reducer s and only use it for a bit of sample rate reduction to use with s parallel octave. This does the job and is tiny 😁

These two banks of effects can be run parallel via the LS2 for more tonal options.

The LS2 main channel goes straight to

Tech 21 VTBASS DI - industry standard Ampeg simulator capable of clean 3 band preamp or smooth overdrive to full on distortion. Great DI and used for a slightly dirty preamp tone or a stompable overdrive depending on the gig.

Then back to the Mini patch bay, for the most part my sound is the Cali76 into the VTDI 

received_249919400109239.jpeg

Backside shot! Not as neat as some on here. I don't know how they do it 😂

20210322_135636.jpg

Edited by lee650
  • Like 10

@lee650.... Niiiiiiiice. Great choices there. I’ve got the MXR Chorus too. It is so lush, and having a flanger is a great addition. Show us yer underside if that’s not too personal?

In all seriousness, I think adding pics of the unpretty side really helps folks with ideas.... I know it has for me in the past!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, moley6knipe said:

@lee650.... Niiiiiiiice. Great choices there. I’ve got the MXR Chorus too. It is so lush, and having a flanger is a great addition. Show us yer underside if that’s not too personal?

In all seriousness, I think adding pics of the unpretty side really helps folks with ideas.... I know it has for me in the past!

Definite thumbs up for the mxr  bass chorus deluxe. I can’t see mine being displaced from my main board any time soon.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, moley6knipe said:

All done! Check out the edit on my post. mine isn't anywhere as neat as yours,Especially as I use pre existing patch cables (struggled with this and had to buy more) and daisy chain quite a few.

Careful Moley6knipe you're starting a pedalboard "upskirting" trend 🤣

Edited by lee650
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Not really a board as such but one contender for my gig rig. 

The Yerasov board is within the Plethora's loop (even has its own footswitch!) and they are both in the Stomp's loop. The Stomp is set up with effects running in a parallel config keeping an amp sound as my 'clean' signal. 

Unreal the amount of effects and cabling this would have taken with individual pedals. Not to mention the size of board needed. In comparison this is a tiny rig. 

IMG_20210330_162046.thumb.jpg.7942f872719a142c6f3a0e450d0ba9ef.jpg

• Like 2

On 21/03/2021 at 21:51, lee650 said:

pedalboard version #$%^%$##

Had a big reshuffle as I needed to raise money,so got rid of a few expensive pedals, but bought a few new ones 😂 Classic 2 pedalboard version 2

Custom Pedal boards mini patch bay - got fed up with plugging leads into various points,so now input/output conveniently in one place.  SEND goes Into-

Cali76 CB - I've tried most of them and love this for versatility while still being intuitive to use. It has fantastic natural tone,which just makes you sound better

This then goes into the main input of a Boss LS2,so all channels are massaged by the Cali76.

Ls2 Loop A 

Cog T70 triple Octave - 3 channel octaves with its own loop. Two separate T65 octaves which ive set 1 for a clean smooth octave and another for a synthy octave up sound, utilising the filters (usually with the Red Ripper engaged, so the B channel is more of a synthy deep distortion). It has a third "sub" channel which has no clean just octave. The filters can get this fairly close to the OC2 sound. The loop on this enables "parallel" octave so any effects used have the octave clean underneath, in this loop I have

Tech 21 Red Ripper -very dynamic and synthy fuzz/distortion. Has as 3 band EQ and can cop muff fuzz sounds for creamy rock tones as well as the quasi envelope Filtered synth fuzz.

Ls2 Loop B - Standalone effects

Zvex Mastatron - Gated version of the mighty Wooly mammoth! Has an input impedance control so it works great with active basses. The benchmark for synth fuzz. Has a variable subs control so it sounds huge and deep.

Source Audio C4 Synth - Absolutely fantastic synth pedal that can do so much more!! A fully fledged Eurorack in a pedal. It can also cover filter/octave/chorus/phaser/tremolo. I thought I'd be happy with the standard 6 presets, but this has so many great presets it's impossible to pick 6 so I bought 

Disaster Area DMC.Micro Midi controller-  so I can now access 128 presets as well as Expression control.

MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe - fantastic warm chorus/Flanger. I have it set to affect only the high end,so subtle but a lovely sound. I particularly love the Flanger setting.

EBS Dphaser - very funky and versatile phaser with loads of control and various stages (switchable inside) 3 modes 4/6 stage, 8/10 stage and 15 stage (this sounds very flange like)

Hotone Krush - I keep buying expensive bit crush/sample rate reducer s and only use it for a bit of sample rate reduction to use with s parallel octave. This does the job and is tiny 😁

These two banks of effects can be run parallel via the LS2 for more tonal options.

The LS2 main channel goes straight to

Tech 21 VTBASS DI - industry standard Ampeg simulator capable of clean 3 band preamp or smooth overdrive to full on distortion. Great DI and used for a slightly dirty preamp tone or a stompable overdrive depending on the gig.

Then back to the Mini patch bay, for the most part my sound is the Cali76 into the VTDI 

received_249919400109239.jpeg

Backside shot! Not as neat as some on here. I don't know how they do it 😂

20210322_135636.jpg

Great description there Lee, thanks for the extra info 👍🏼. Helps me appreciate how many ways boards can be built!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

I am unbelievably lucky to have such toys. 

Yeah, it’s great how things seem to have come. I’ve taken my HX Stomp off a Classic Jr and put it ‘back to basics’ so to speak onto a Nano +. I personally found I was having extra pedals in it’s loop just because I had them, rather than needed them lol. I’ve mirrored my analogue board with the stomp to see how they compare etc. All fun at the end of the day and will be great when we can all actually use them again 😁

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jimbobothy said:

fun at the end of the day and will be great when we can all actually use them again

Exactly. I've filled the year off with learning to read music, and buying pedals. One is to help me become a more efficient musician, the other is for sheer pleasure. 

Here's my pedal board. 

Beringer tuner

Boss LMB3 bass limiter 

Orange Two Stroke boost / eq

Earthquake Devices Plumes overdrive 

Orange Fur Coat fuzz with octave up

Way Huge Pork & Pickle fuzz / overdrive 

Electro Harmonix Bass Clone chorus

All mounted on a Pedaltrain Metro 24 with a Donner power supply and connected through the effects loop of my Orange Terror amp.

It's mostly various types of distortion. The Two Stroke is my favourite at the moment, it really gives the pre amp a nice kick for a nice natural sounding distortion. The fur coat is absolutely disgusting, perfect for doomy stuff.

16173779832471584590412442209079.jpg

• Like 3

On 30/03/2021 at 18:20, jimbobothy said:

Yeah, it’s great how things seem to have come. I’ve taken my HX Stomp off a Classic Jr and put it ‘back to basics’ so to speak onto a Nano +. I personally found I was having extra pedals in it’s loop just because I had them, rather than needed them lol. I’ve mirrored my analogue board with the stomp to see how they compare etc. All fun at the end of the day and will be great when we can all actually use them again 😁

I'd be very interested to hear how you find the stomp compares with your other pedals?

18 minutes ago, jimbobothy said:

Good idea Tayste having an extension board for when you need it 👍🏼.

Lee, I’ll keep you posted when I can use them properly (soon now hopefully 😁)

Cheers, I played around with the order of each and every pedal and those 2 ended up first and also happen to not suit anything I’m doing at the moment 😂

But all of it fits in/on my gig bag with any of the Di’s I end up taking.

So it’s quite easy to take all the flavours to practice or the studio.

Here's my current pedalboard. I need to update my "under croft" image...it's a bit neater down there since this shot. The Mastotron isn't plumbed in anymore, since getting the SA Ultrawave, I can get similar sounds. Maybe next month, I'll be sliding in a SA Spectrum in there, although I'm still getting a lot of filter use out of my C4.But it'll be nice to be able to add an additional filter anywhere in my chain as well as the C4 options. I'd love to cram in a Deep Impact in there somewhere...but it's pretty maxxed out space wise.  

2021-02-24-3.jpg

2021-02-23-9.jpg

• Like 6