Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

41 minutes ago, NoirBass said:

Love it! Any thoughts on upgrading to an SY-1000?

Cheers it’s great fun. I’ve looked at the SY1000 and I’m not clear on what it offers that the VB99 doesn’t - I prefer the form factor of the VB99 though. Mainly I use it as a lovely clean preamp, audio interface and bass management centre (tm)

34 minutes ago, Higgie said:

It’s a cool pedal. Not entirely sold on it, but in all fairness it hasn’t really been put through its paces yet, so there’s still time!

No faulting the sound, it just lacked easy access to certain parameters for me. Also, I’m a bit swamped in envelope filters as you can see from my pic above.

I hope they rethink the controls a bit in any future revision. You can get some crazily good sounds when pushing the filter to self-oscillation with dirt in front. It’s the only pedal I’ve found that can do those classic 70s resonance blips. 

Some updates has happened since last I posted my pedal effects setup, though this time it seems pretty final for the musical bass project that currently got my main focus, but I will wait with posting it here until I, about time, eventually have bought a proper board to mount the pedals on, that up till now just have been single pedals linked together with patch cables on the floor.

If all go as planed this should happen within a month from now.

Especially needed now as my bass/drums/vocals solo project has involved into a bass/vocals and drums duo.

So at our first rehearsal this coming Tuesday I will have to carry my pedals piled more or less randomly in a bag and patiently assemble my entire pedal effects chain, pedal by pedal, patch cable by patch cable, before we can start playing, and then disassemble and pack down the whole thing again afterwards.

In the meantime there are pictures up and a full signal path go through on my forum profile: https://www.basschat.co.uk/profile/50585-baloney-balderdash/?tab=field_core_pfield_1

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

31 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Houston, we have lift off! 

Phew, that took some work.

255921FB-8285-4EA1-96F5-A33FF1CF5342.jpeg

For anyone interested, the signal chain is as follows:

Spectracomp>FI>C4>Spectrum>Josh Wah>Enigma>MXR BEF>Microtron>Wombtone MKII>Collider

Nested within the Spectrum’s loop is LS-2>Lunar.

In LS-2 loop A is Okto Nøjs>Mastotron.

In LS-2 loop B is MXR VBO>Doom 2.

I’ve configured a Spectrum patch that will allow the contents of the loop to be played by themselves if desired (though I’ll mostly be using this combination for synth-like sounds), which means that they can also be fed into any of the subsequent filters in the chain. 

32 minutes ago, bobbass4k said:

Enough filters for you? That thing´s a beast - how´s the wombtone, don´t see a lot of them around. I only had 10 minutes with a warped vinyl once but it was absolutely magical.

Not quite, still want to add a Chromatron! I think the maximum I ever had at once was 7. Used to have a big box Q-Tron, Q-Tron+, Fwonkbeta, Manta, Filter Twin, Xerograph Deluxe, and Wonderlove too. Also briefly owned Moog MF-101, MF-103, Dr. Scientist Dusk, WMD Protostar, Glou-Glou Avant Garde and Steak too.

The Wombtone is lovely, thick and syrupy. I still haven’t got fully into the MIDI side of it though. To be honest, the dip switches are a bit cumbersome, especially when mounted on the board so I’ve never really touched them. At least there’s a reasonable amount of MIDI access (though weirdly not the number of filter stages - I had to fudge it by creating 3 separate presets which use the stages).

On 10/09/2020 at 15:06, ped said:

Sort of a pedalboard but I don't use my feet unless I'm angry

IMG_4894.jpeg

USB Mug Warmer - TC Ditto - Future impact - Source Audio C4 - Roland VB99

That looks like a life support system!

Has it got the machine that goes'bing'? 

Edited by bottomfeed
  • Haha 1

Tried a B3k and a vmt a few years ago and really didn't care for them at all, so wrote off trying darkglass again....... Just got a B7k last week, wow what an amazing sounding box 💪, just got a b3k to overdrive it....still not super happy with the high gain but low and med wonderful.IMG_20200916_212120.thumb.jpg.cc633786c6fec1d5d5b53cd82eec2523.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

799364771_PedalBoard.jpg.8947fd4f64e5ea4b89cc9f976ae12bbb.jpg

Recently completed my first ever pedal board.  Just used them loose and ad-hoc in the past but I was going through wires on power supplies like nobody's business.  So I thought it better if it was all enclosed and boxed up. 

The four home made ones are clones of a Roger Mayer Octavia, a DOD FX 25 Envelope Filter, a Death By Audio Robot and an Earthquaker Devices Plumes.

The latter three I'm pretty pleased with myself about as I designed the strip board layouts myself from the schematics.  Which I think is pretty good going for someone who has absolutely no idea what he's doing with electronics!

*struts*

Edited by Unknown_User
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Unknown_User said:

The latter three I'm pretty pleased with myself about as I designed the strip board layouts myself from the schematics.  Which I think is pretty good going for someone who has absolutely no idea what he's doing with electronics!

Oh well played sir - that is pretty darned cool!!!

• Like 1

Added some new builds to my dirt section - 

2122740966_IMG_20200926_020259(1).thumb.jpg.228bf912cfe7c579414be3da595e3159.jpg

Brief annotations of the DIY ones - 

898139896_InkedIMG_20200926_020259(1)_LI.thumb.jpg.76bf74888a397c58748bbb6c0816ea1d.jpg

1 - EQD Ghost Echo clone (Reverb)

2 - Madbean Dreamtime, FV-1 delay in a teeny tiny package - granular and tremolo modes in partiular are very useful.

3 - EQD Sea Machine Clone (Chorus)

4 - EQD Data Corrupter Clone with mods (Harmonizer/Synth Fuzz?)

5 - EQD Life Pedal Clone with mods - Octave Up into a Rat with a MOSFET boost at the end (boost can be switched off or used on it's own)

6 - Darkglass Microtubes clone with substantial mods (Overdrive). Took me a long time to get on board with this one but wit the right mods (and run at 18V) it can really sparkle.

7 - Catalinbread SFT clone with mods (itself an attempt to capture the SVT Vibe) - I've added a switch to lower the gain and the option to rub at 18V - makes a really good clean preamp at low gain.

8 - Lovetone Big Cheese Clone - Slightly modded to make the silly super gated mode even sillier.

9 - Moosapotamus Dirty Bird - Ridiculous chirping, quacky fuzz - kind of like a prunes and custard but waaaaaaaay weirder.

17 - Phase inverter

10 - DBA Echo Dream Clone - substantially modded to make it actually work properly....

11 - Frostwave Funk-A-Duck Clone - Absolutely mad envelope filter, designed for synths I think. Takes a lot of patience, a lot of the knob settings will make no sound but if you treat it right... like no other filter I've ever had.

12 - DBA Space Ring Clone with mods (Ring Mod) - Built from the deadendfx PCB which makes a lot of useful improvements.

13 - Schalltechnik Pumpernickel Compressor

14 - Lovetone Doppelganger clone (Phaser/Vibe) - All the bells and whistles - had a smaller form factor clone of this but I sold it and missed it so much I didn't care that the only PCB i could get was for this masive version.

15 - Mid-Fi Pitch Pirate Deluxe Clone (Super Extreme Chorus)

16 - Step Sequencer - Puts out sequenced CV via 3.5mm cables to the control the pedals modded to take it, replacing their internal LFOs (Pitch Pirate and Doppelganger on this board) 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bobbass4k said:

Added some new builds to my dirt section - 

2122740966_IMG_20200926_020259(1).thumb.jpg.228bf912cfe7c579414be3da595e3159.jpg

Brief annotations of the DIY ones - 

898139896_InkedIMG_20200926_020259(1)_LI.thumb.jpg.76bf74888a397c58748bbb6c0816ea1d.jpg

1 - EQD Ghost Echo clone (Reverb)

2 - Madbean Dreamtime, FV-1 delay in a teeny tiny package - granular and tremolo modes in partiular are very useful.

3 - EQD Sea Machine Clone (Chorus)

4 - EQD Data Corrupter Clone with mods (Harmonizer/Synth Fuzz?)

5 - EQD Life Pedal Clone with mods - Octave Up into a Rat with a MOSFET boost at the end (boost can be switched off or used on it's own)

6 - Darkglass Microtubes clone with substantial mods (Overdrive). Took me a long time to get on board with this one but wit the right mods (and run at 18V) it can really sparkle.

7 - Catalinbread SFT clone with mods (itself an attempt to capture the SVT Vibe) - I've added a switch to lower the gain and the option to rub at 18V - makes a really good clean preamp at low gain.

8 - Lovetone Big Cheese Clone - Slightly modded to make the silly super gated mode even sillier.

9 - Moosapotamus Dirty Bird - Ridiculous chirping, quacky fuzz - kind of like a prunes and custard but waaaaaaaay weirder.

17 - Phase inverter

10 - DBA Echo Dream Clone - substantially modded to make it actually work properly....

11 - Frostwave Funk-A-Duck Clone - Absolutely mad envelope filter, designed for synths I think. Takes a lot of patience, a lot of the knob settings will make no sound but if you treat it right... like no other filter I've ever had.

12 - DBA Space Ring Clone with mods (Ring Mod) - Built from the deadendfx PCB which makes a lot of useful improvements.

13 - Schalltechnik Pumpernickel Compressor

14 - Lovetone Doppelganger clone (Phaser/Vibe) - All the bells and whistles - had a smaller form factor clone of this but I sold it and missed it so much I didn't care that the only PCB i could get was for this masive version.

15 - Mid-Fi Pitch Pirate Deluxe Clone (Super Extreme Chorus)

16 - Step Sequencer - Puts out sequenced CV via 3.5mm cables to the control the pedals modded to take it, replacing their internal LFOs (Pitch Pirate and Doppelganger on this board) 

Love that you have a Frostwave Funk-a-Duck clone. I have an original of these and as you say tricky to dial in but the sweet spots sound awesome.