Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

1 hour ago, jimbobothy said:

This can be done by turning off the power boost volume in boost mode

• Does that mean that in Boost Mode, the loop is still running? 

so for a silent tune, just turn off the boost volume when tuning, making a note of where is was before you turned it down lol.

• It's the silent tuning I need 😆

Cioks got back to me today regarding the DC7 and basically said the Tonebone Bassbone circuit design doesn't work well with switching power supplies and that they are working on the noise issue

• That is bizarre???? Switching units should be a better option, no? My old brain doesn't get why that might be the case? 

(something about 2 different kinds of grounding used in the Bassbone??) 

• Out of interest, did you ever try "fiddling" with the BB's ground toggles? 

1 hour ago, jimbobothy said:

span widget

8 minutes ago, bobbass4k said:

It lives! Finally abandoned the £15 diago rip off PSU I've had for 10 years. With the bulk of it being DIY the PSU is now the most expensive thing on the board by a long way. 

Half ambient nonsense, half bone crushing distortion. 

Wow - mucho respect for anyone with the ability to design and build their own pedals, as you've done!

Usually only use a nano-board but while I can't go and play out...

91386463_10157836873903726_8298793129964

2 paths.

1: Wireless output A > Source Audio Spectrum > Digitech BSW > Boss LS-2 with the Morley Cliff Burton signature Power Fuzz Wah in Loop A > Fat General compressor > Brown Dog Gated Fuzz > Darkglass B3K V2 > Darkglass M900 head and a barefaced cab

2: Wireless output B > Marshall ED-1 Compressor > SFX Micro Thumpinator 30hz high pass filter > Markbass Marcus Limited Gold Line 800W head and barefaced cab

The LS-2 is acting like an On / Off switch for the wah. The button placement on the wah is stupid and it's impossible to turn on the fuzz and the wah circuit at the same time. 

I set the amps up for clean and deep on the Markbass, and just a touch of grit for the Darkglass. Then I've got a great do everything basic tone that I can tweak with the EQ on my bass if I need to.

The Spectrum is the best filter I have ever used. Just amazing. The BSW is set for a "Deeper Underground" / "Hysteria" sort of synthy tone.

The "For whom the bell tolls" magic is stacking the Fuzz Wah with the Brown Dog. The Fuzz Wah fuzzes the entire signal, the Brown Dog has a clean blend so it effectively over-fuzzes half the signal reaching it so there's really 2 fuzzed tones mixed. It's a massively filthy tone that's much closer to Burton's live "Bellz" tone than the CD or the recent live sound. It's a huge sound. 

• Like 1

My latest incarnation!

Nemphasis VT bass comp- set for subtle smooth fattening

3 leaf Wonderlove envelope filter- for reverse sweep funkyness. The wonderlove has a loop, so effects are placed after the input detector and before the envelope,to preserve dynamics (Yes I know I've a comp running into it😁)- in the loop I have

Cog T70 octave 3 octavers in one,two seperate octaves and a sub switch for OC2 emulation. This also has a loop,so the octave can be run in parallel, so the octave runs cleanly underneath whatever effect is in its loop. In the T70 loop I have

EHX bass big muff fuzz- no introduction

Mooer Lofi machine - for Glitchy robot sounds/percussive clavinet like tones.

Future Impact - covering synths/octaves/filters/phasers/ all allsorts. I'm able to use synth lead sounds and add the octave below it, effectively giving me at the same time

1 - octave Down ( with Filter giving synthy or smooth octave tones)

2- clean bass

3- octave up

4- synth lead sound (or whatever effect in the loop)

Then in series with cog 

Source Audio Gemini - programmed with chorus/flange/Phaser/Resonator/env phaser

20200408_134741.jpg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dudewheresmybass said:

@fretmeister

how are you finding the Burton wah? 
how does it sit in the mix? With and without fuzz?

Without fuzz it’s awful on bass. Beyond terrible. Ok on guitar, but pointless for bass. 

with fuzz it’s excellent. Stacked into another it’s even better.

It’s a one trick pony, but that pony is a thoroughbred. 

• Like 1

Here's one for the minimalist guys. I've had all kinds of stuff in the past... this is what I've arrived at now. Thought about the latest Microbass III, but don't think it would add to my "set and forget" killer tone set-up. Goes into a Rumble 500 with flat eq, then minor tweaks to the Rumble to suit the room.

fullsizeoutput_373.jpeg

• Like 2

Nice. You could go full minimalist and get rid of the tuner though with the MicroBass 3 😁

Love mine... two instrument channels with EQ and drive; DI output; separate line output for a powered speaker, or use the MicroBass's headphone amp if I'm on in-ears; independent "more bass" volume control.  If on in-ears, I can route in a monitor mix from the desk.

FJXE8725.JPG

Edited by jrixn1
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

@jrixn1what's the HPF pre you've got on your board? Looks like a decent alternative to the Thumpinator - does the dial allow you to select cut off frequency? 

I bought it from the marketplace recently.  It's an fdeck clone made by 4114 effects.

Nice and minimalist 😃 with just frequency selection and a phase switch - they normally also have a volume control and enough room inside for a battery.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

I bought it from the marketplace recently.  It's an fdeck clone made by 4114 effects.

Nice and minimalist 😃 with just frequency selection and a phase switch - they normally also have a volume control and enough room inside for a battery.

9 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

I previously had a Thumpinator - but having adjustable cut-off frequency is great (essential??) for upright.

Oooh, that does sound good. I think my Thumpinator could just have found its Terminator. Sadly doesn't currently seem to be on their website...

Order has been restored - an oc-2 has returned to its hallowed place. Selling it is on my top 10 list of life mistakes. Overall, not just pedal related. I love the whammy but octave down sounds are not it's forte.

IMG_20200416_222016.jpg

Annotations for the DIY Frankensteins in signal order, they're basically all clones though many with heavy tweaks - 

IMG_20200417_101444.thumb.jpg.f3b8647d9ae0319d79e043cf1b599991.jpg

1 - DOD 250 dual channel clone with diode options - basically  an Earthquaker Grey Channel with an extra switch to stack channel 1 into channel 2

2 - BJFE Blueberry Clone - I'm a late convert admittedly, but a simple tweak to the tonestack makes it super useful for me

3 - Tweaked IC Big Muff - altered tone stack - very much a one sound box, but that sound is just pure bone-crushing doom.

4 - EQD Data Corrupter Clone - couple of mods on the sides for extra woo-woo craziness.

5 - Ulti-Muff - Regular (non-IC) big muff with every mod I've ever found useful, mids, pre-boost, diode choices etc.

6 - Ridiculous Noise Box - started as a 4ms Noise Swash but It's become something else. Goes between splatty velcro fuzz and self-oscillating lunacy

7 - Phase inverter - All the drive pedals are in the ls-2 loop for clean blend and depending on what combos are on there can be phase issues. 

8 - Auto-Wah - Honestly couldn't tell you which one as I built it so long ago. Maybe a modded FX-25B?

9 - Pumpernckel Compressor - Schalltechnik Kit - does everything I've ever wanted a compressor to do

10 - Boss Slow Gear - mod added for release time

11 - Chorus - EQD Sea Machine Clone

12 - Mid-Fi Pitch Pirate, mods added for internal delay and CV input

13 - CV Output Sequencer - Puts out a controllable sequenced voltage for the LFO based effects  - I've got 4 but the Phaser and tremolo are currently out on loan.

14 - Death By Audio Echo Dream - Heavily modified to make it actually work properly.

15 - Mid-Fi Clari-Not - modded to put the fuzz on a switch for a cleaner version, also modde for CV input.

16 - Death By Audio Reverberation Machine - again heavily modded to actually work - second gain control to make it cleaner and feedback control to extend the decay (and self-oscillate if you're into that sort of thing).

Not pictured are the Preamp and cab-sim that live on the desk. Quality of decoration is a big indicator of when they were built. The drive section changes fairly regulary - there's another 10 or so in the pedal box.

Edited by bobbass4k
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Looks like there's a trend for minimal DI ( + maybe comp ) + tuner boards. Here's mine, the Strobostomp is a bit OTT but I like to do my own setups and all my basses have a low B as well. I also noticed that the EBS Microbass III has comp and tuner, but I really like those two DG pedals, the Vintage Ultra with the cab sim has huge range of tones and the Hyper Luminal is the only compressor I've really got to grips with and liked after trying a fair few.

Board is a Pedaltrain Nano and it's powered by a Palmer Batpack 8000 which is velcroed underneath, you can see the on/off switch and charge indicator between the two DG pedals - so no mains required, and with a board that small my guess is it will last a full day. It can be used while charging as well.

I made the patch cables to fit from some Fender ones I had to keep things nice and neat.

board.jpg

Edited by adamg67
  • Like 7

If you can fit it on a Nano then it is minimalist.

I'm still thinking about upgrading my EBS Microbass II to a III... then I wouldn't even need a tuner... or a Nano. But... if I got a III I think I'd just set it up to get the same sound I get now.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, adamg67 said:

Looks like there's a trend for minimal DI ( + maybe comp ) + tuner boards. Here's mine, the Strobostomp is a bit OTT but I like to do my own setups and all my basses have a low B as well. I also noticed that the EBS Microbass III has comp and tuner, but I really like those two DG pedals, the Vintage Ultra with the cab sim has huge range of tones and the Hyper Luminal is the only compressor I've really got to grips with and liked after trying a fair few.

Board is a Pedaltrain Nano and it's powered by a Palmer Batpack 8000 which is velcroed underneath, you can see the on/off switch and charge indicator between the two DG pedals - so no mains required, and with a board that small my guess is it will last a full day. It can be used while charging as well.

I made the patch cables to fit from some Fender ones I had to keep things nice and neat.

board.jpg

Snap, almost, even down to the patch cables!

IMG_1160.jpeg