Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

5 hours ago, GisserD said:

bass - spectracomp - ES8 - amp

Each other pedal is in one of the ES8s loops. so the chain can be whatever i want it to be for each preset :)

Out of interest - are you using the ES8 to access the 'favorite' preset on the Deco (I assume it has one)? I'm doing it on the El Capistan and although it works, there is a 2 second delay. It switches back instantly though. Others have reported the same. No idea why - it should just  be a toggle.

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Al Krow said:

The three pedals I'm pleasantly surprised that the Stomp has managed to effectively replace are the:

- Frantabit, Octamizer and Cali (the rest are less of a surprise). 

Full disclosure, I am happy with the LA comp, but it’s not as transparent as the Cali76. 

I have also kept the Frantabit and an OC2 for any electronic / dub gigs as I haven’t quite got the stomp to go into that territory yet, but for the average function band gig I think I will get away with the octave sounds on the stomp.

My biggest issue with the mini rig is powering it. CameronJ has suggested the one spot with some adaptors so I will give that a try.

I'm planning on building myself a new board. The design will be based loosely on these beautiful pieces of German craftsmanship: https://www.schmidtarray.com/product-page/sa750w-1

Anyone got any tips/tricks that I should keep in mind? What materials should I use, what thickness of wood would be strong enough to support itself, where should I order 9mm plugs for in the side of the case (I live in Belgium) etc... ?  

On 22/12/2018 at 07:22, Crawford13 said:

Full disclosure, I am happy with the LA comp, but it’s not as transparent as the Cali76. 

I have also kept the Frantabit and an OC2 for any electronic / dub gigs as I haven’t quite got the stomp to go into that territory yet, but for the average function band gig I think I will get away with the octave sounds on the stomp.

My biggest issue with the mini rig is powering it. CameronJ has suggested the one spot with some adaptors so I will give that a try.

Aww have you withdrawn the Frantabit then? 😁

On 26/11/2018 at 20:52, radiophonic said:

Out of interest - are you using the ES8 to access the 'favorite' preset on the Deco (I assume it has one)? I'm doing it on the El Capistan and although it works, there is a 2 second delay. It switches back instantly though. Others have reported the same. No idea why - it should just  be a toggle.

Sorry just seen this. I've never used the Es8 for that so can't really help there sorry. 

Two and a half months since my previous update, not much happened in that period of time.
Only thing I did was swap positions between the EarthQauker Devices Afterneath and Ghost Echo.
D6322L1.jpg
Today I finally added a new pedal, a Darkglass Microtubes X, the Chowny Fuzzster had to make way for this one.
De EQD Westwood into the microtubes X is fantastic!!

C446A3A5-B1EC-4717-833D-EB4713B53D02.thumb.jpeg.24a367864d8442a4444a083585b6350a.jpeg

New year, new layout. This is the big board for working on sounds. I have a Novo 18 and a much more compact SA Manta filter for gigs, but we’re taking January off. The loop switcher allows me to run a clean blend with all the dirt pedals and to run the bitcrusher in parallel with the Okto Nojs and then all into the filter. The parallel Mastotron / Okto combo into the Moog sounds tremendous - the gating on the Mastotron is incredibly tight. I'm still getting new sounds out of the Scrutator  - the sample rate reducer is really powerful, everything from almost wind like artifacts through to really atonal ring mod sounds. I got a Mosky Black Rat to save space but I’ve done the Reutz mod on the ProCo and it makes a significant difference to the low end, so I’m putting up with the inconvenience for now. The most likely change for 2019 will be the delays. A DD500 would give me MIDI control via the ES5 and it does dual delay and  Echorec, which is what I aim for with the El Cap/Flashback. 

Edited by radiophonic
  • Like 3

Admitted defeat trying to get everything onto my PT Classic Junior and finally set up a PT2 board (which I managed to source from a fellow BCer). Really happy to have made the move to a larger board with the greater freedom to get the signal chain into my preferred order whilst having easy access to the stomp pedals (as well as the Stomp pedal :)).

Chain order is: Thumpinator (HPF) --> Spectracomp (Comp) --> Valeton OC-10 (Octave down) --> FI (Synth) -> AS (Drive) --> Mastotron (Gated fuzz) --> Manta (Filter) --> Mooer Sweeper (Filter) --> MXR BEF (Filter) --> Mosaic (Poly octave up) --> Stomp (Multfx / headphone amp) --> Keeley Bassist (Limiter)

Gecko III --> SA Neurohub --> AS & Manta (midi control)

Power: MXR IsoBrick underneath for everything  apart from the Stomp. Total current draw of ALL the pedals, apart from the Helix Stomp, is circa 1 amp and the IsoBrick has plenty of headroom for these with 10 isolated outputs and total available power of 2.7 amps.

The Stomp has its own dedicated PSU and has a current draw of circa 2 amps. 

PB - 1901 I.jpg

And for a bit of synthy fun, here's a clip of FI synth --> MXR BEF filter --> Helix Stomp (providing a touch of delay) :)

FI-BEF-Stomp#01(MP3).mp3

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, radiophonic said:

@Al Krow - I might have asked you this before, but what's the story with the MXR in addition to the Manta? Since you have the Hub, can't you get a similar bandpass without it? That said, the BEF is the one pedal I've sold that I wish I'd hung on to.

Well very possibly BUT I've not managed to yet! :) 

And young master @GisserD, who has dived much more deeply into the Manta and its capabilities, swears by having both on his board. In fact his attempts at letting his BEF go have proved entirely futile and like some faithful Golden Retriever a BEF seems to inevitably return laden with juicy funky goods to his board.

I suspect if any of my filters are for the chop it will be the recenlty acquired Sweeper (which came my way as part of a part-ex cab sale!), but currently there is space for it on the board - well certainly until a Micro-Tron III turns up in the FS or Source Audio release their new filter /synth offering in the Spring!

Edited by Al Krow

There is an MXR BEF preset on the talkbass share folder that gets close. But it dosent get close enough.

Imho Just because a pedal CAN do somthing, dosent mean it does it well. The manta is almost exclusively used for synth sounds for me. The mictroron and mxr are much better at finger funk. 

22 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Well very possibly BUT I've not managed to yet! :) 

And young master @GisserD, who has dived much more deeply into the Manta and its capabilities, swears by having both on his board. In fact his attempts at letting his BEF go have proved entirely futile and like some faithful Golden Retriever a BEF seems to inevitably return laden with juicy funky goods to his board.

I suspect if any of my filters are for the chop it will be the recenlty acquired Sweeper (which came my way as part of a part-ex cab sale!), but currently there is space for it on the board - well certainly until a Micro-Tron III turns up in the FS or Source Audio release their new filter /synth offering in the Spring!

I didn't even spot the Sweeper! When I had the BEF, I was in a covers band and I used it for finger funk. It seemed impossible to get a bad sound out of it. Once I was out of that band, I didn't have a use for it and all the filter stuff I do now is synth. I can't make my mind up about the Manta. It's a lot of pedal for the money, but it really needs MIDI to get the most out of it and that adds a hundred quid, increases the footprint and ups the power consumption and (for all its impracticality and limitations) I'd still not want to get rid of the Moog.