Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

16 minutes ago, obbm said:

Excuse if this is obvious but why do you need a separate DI box when the DWZ receiver has a balanced XLR out?

Blimey, well done, I'd forgotten that it had indeed. Don't think I've ever used the DI, have always used an external DI/pre.

The Fuzz is stock.. Its just sort of nasty in a way that the zoom fuzzes aren't- i don't use the octave much!  I like the fuzz in front of the wah too, so i can do that thing you get in EDM where it goes 'muffled muffled nasal fizzy BOOM'... Which is fun.. :D

Yeah the EQ does a thing that's different somehow to what the Zoom EQs have. The sliders are different frequencies, that might be it!

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, operative451 said:

The Fuzz is stock.. Its just sort of nasty in a way that the zoom fuzzes aren't- i don't use the octave much!  I like the fuzz in front of the wah too, so i can do that thing you get in EDM where it goes 'muffled muffled nasal fizzy BOOM'... Which is fun.. :D

Yeah the EQ does a thing that's different somehow to what the Zoom EQs have. The sliders are different frequencies, that might be it!

The octave is a waste of time even when modded but I myself love the fuzz!

31 minutes ago, radiophonic said:

No analog Octave down? 

Nope. The hx effects has an EBS octave emulation in it. Has excellent tracking and a lovely growl to it. 

I do so times miss my Octamizer tho, although that was used for a slightly different purpose. 

4 hours ago, tandark said:

how are you finding the TAFM? Been looking at it recently..

yeah it's a really good fuzz. I always have two different dirts on my board, and the TAFM pairs really nicely with the TK-421x. They're both very sharp and cutting.

I marginally prefer my Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian as a fuzz, but the TAFM works better in this setup, plus it cuts through much better (but it doesn't quite have the heft of the muff). Recommended though... been on my board for a couple of years straight. 

On 13/11/2018 at 10:16, tonyf said:

Recent rejig of my pedal board. 

• Completely recabled, using really good cabling and connectors. Had been using odds and sods patch cables which used to assault my OCD every time I looked at it. 
  • Lost the MXR Envelope Filter and a TC Mic Mechanic which I didn't use. 
  • Brought a new integrated power supply because I needed something that gave me AC to the M9 rather than having to have a plugboard velco'd untidily to the board. 
  • The major change was introducing the PXL-LIVE Programmable Pedal Controller. Now gives me the ability to switch the Future Impact, Soundblox Envelope Filter and the M9 with MIDI program changes. Has taken a little while to get used to switching with banks again and programming it quickly, but it's been a huge improvement both functionally and also in terms of noise.

The EBS MicroBass II is shown with a lead going to an amp for home use. I don't use an amp live and go straight to the board so the output from the MicroBass is the XLR out.

Dude, that's a monster board! Like some of your choices. I've just completely reworked mine as well - I got a Ditto X2 and wanted to alter the routing to make it easier to use, as well as having a space for my wireless on the top right - 

The Mooer bitcrusher is excellent - the FCB1010 is actually controlling patches on the Future Impact and the envelope filter, as well as providing midi expression pedal control into both. The two boss expression pedals are plugged into the filter and the boss SYB-5 - so my filter pedal actually has 2 expression pedals - mad flexibility while stood up. I can't tell you how good the SYB-5 is with the expression pedal, it makes it a supremely expressive synth.

This board was constructed for a synth based project, but it's going to get use in a funk context as well - I've got a lot of flexibility in here. The FunkFace has great retro funk tones, with the valve filter on board, the FI is supremely flexible, the MarkBass has the best tracking for faster stuff, and combining valve fuzz, octaver and bitcrusher sounds pretty synth as well. All with a final mini wah onboard as required. The Ditto is just for my own creative fun.

IMG_0623.JPG

• Like 2

On 16/11/2018 at 10:38, EBS_freak said:

Deco! I love the reviews and the videos about it - but tell me, how do you use it personally, with bass? Worth the investment?

So far i've only really got to grips with the Saturation side of the pedal. I use it as a low-medium gain saturation which sounds excellent going into modulation in the HX and also before filters as it gives the filter a fatter sound to chew on. I also quite like what it does to a really hot synth signal, as it seems to compress and add punch whilst taking away some of the brittle highs.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, basexperience said:

Dude, that's a monster board! Like some of your choices. I've just completely reworked mine as well - I got a Ditto X2 and wanted to alter the routing to make it easier to use, as well as having a space for my wireless on the top right - 

The Mooer bitcrusher is excellent - the FCB1010 is actually controlling patches on the Future Impact and the envelope filter, as well as providing midi expression pedal control into both. The two boss expression pedals are plugged into the filter and the boss SYB-5 - so my filter pedal actually has 2 expression pedals - mad flexibility while stood up. I can't tell you how good the SYB-5 is with the expression pedal, it makes it a supremely expressive synth.

This board was constructed for a synth based project, but it's going to get use in a funk context as well - I've got a lot of flexibility in here. The FunkFace has great retro funk tones, with the valve filter on board, the FI is supremely flexible, the MarkBass has the best tracking for faster stuff, and combining valve fuzz, octaver and bitcrusher sounds pretty synth as well. All with a final mini wah onboard as required. The Ditto is just for my own creative fun.

IMG_0623.JPG

Thank you, yours looks amazing too. Love the fact you've got all that funk in the trunk with the options for synths and envelopes! 😁

Great idea using the 1010. Had played with the idea of using a MIDI controller to patch change the Source Audio envelope, the M9 and the Future Impact but then came across the PXL Live switcher which did all I needed in terms of patch changing. Made such a difference, I've got a couple of banks full of Future Impact patches which has made life really easy.

There looks to be a lot on the board but I don't think so really. For me, tend to stick to several "stock" patches for the funk/soul/r&b functions band which mainly involves synth'y/envelope'y stuff with some EQ's courtesy of the M9. There's loads of modulations I've programmed into the PXL live but I don't use them on this gig. Just take the view that they're there if I need them. lol

Re the M9, it's a great sounding unit but TBH, I'd be all over the HX Effects if it was physically a little smaller. Space is so tight and I'm too lazy to recable it all to fit one on the board for nominal gain. The M9 is still a great unit and does all I need it to. Maybe at some point it'll give way to a HX Stomp when I can get my hands on one and see what it's like but I'd feel I was wasting a lot of the modelling functionality purely to use the effects. Dunno. 

Heard a lot of love for the SYB-5 with an expression pedal, by all accounts, they tend to come alive once they've got one of those attached.

28 minutes ago, GisserD said:

Major update. Stomp replaces Hxfx and the Es8 is back. I missed the loops :)

DSC_0475.thumb.JPG.0d9975d9ddb0255bebafffc63fcf0dbf.JPG

Three filters! I admire your commitment. I'll post an update when I get round to it, but I'm finding the ES5 very useful. The footprint of the ES8 was just too large for my gig board although the extra loops and the discrete volume pedal loop would have been a help.  I'm also now looking at all my patch cables needing replacement. Never ending expense. 

1 hour ago, radiophonic said:

Three filters! I admire your commitment. I'll post an update when I get round to it, but I'm finding the ES5 very useful. The footprint of the ES8 was just too large for my gig board although the extra loops and the discrete volume pedal loop would have been a help.  I'm also now looking at all my patch cables needing replacement. Never ending expense. 

The BEF is just sat in the volume loop at the moment, i have a feeling it may well be coming off the board now i have the Mutron. we will see....

There's no problem having it there if you have a spare loop :)

19 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I'm missing 4/11 of the items on this board! 

What's your signal chain? 

bass - spectracomp - ES8 - amp

Each other pedal is in one of the ES8s loops. so the chain can be whatever i want it to be for each preset :)

Here we go. All cased up for recording tomorrow, so the expression pedal is elsewhere.  Compressor >. ES5 > Hall Fame. All the rest are in loops, so I can run the PS6 as a detune chorus after the filter or as an octave down in front of the Rat, with clean in parallel or bitcrush in parallel with the Okto etc etc. Game changer. The only downside is needing to bench the Mastotron because the Rat is so big. A mini clone will fix this problem for about 25 quid. Sorting the patch cables won’t be cheap though. I have a bigger board waiting, but this is the practical limit for band gigs.

12BE4AED-9B9C-460C-AFDB-F31526AEEC49.thumb.jpeg.8cbcec3fa48deffec803a6c063fc2e31.jpeg

Edited by radiophonic
  • Like 3