Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

A few recent additions to my board has inspired me to give a bit more thought on better ordering my chain and I've reset my board as follows:

2 inputs (AB-Y) [allows easy switch e.g. between electric bass and EUB] -> 
Compressor [Cali 76CB] -> Octaver [Valeton OC-10] -> Synths [Matryoshka & MB SS] -> Gated Fuzz & Drive [Mastotron & SA Aftershock] -> Filter [SA Manta] -> Modulation, EQ & HPF [Zoom MS-60B] 
-> output / amp

Somehow managed to get them all onto my Metro 24, which was a relief!

PB - 1808 II.JPG

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/08/2018 at 00:05, Al Krow said:

A few recent additions to my board has inspired me to give a bit more thought on better ordering my chain and I've reset my board as follows:

2 inputs (AB-Y) [allows easy switch e.g. between electric bass and EUB] -> 
Compressor [Cali 76CB] -> Octaver [Valeton OC-10] -> Synths [Matryoshka & MB SS] -> Gated Fuzz & Drive [Mastotron & SA Aftershock] -> Filter [SA Manta] -> Modulation, EQ & HPF [Zoom MS-60B] 
-> output / amp

Somehow managed to get them all onto my Metro 24, which was a relief!

PB - 1808 II.JPG

How's the new version of the Super Synth? I have the original one, which I really like. Have you tried the PC editor yet?

On 10/07/2018 at 07:35, GisserD said:

Thats a really great board! 

I miss my future impact :(

I'm enjoying mine, although I still haven't tried the PC editor on it yet. I've managed to get an FCB with the Uno chip to change patches and I've mapped an expression pedal onto some patches though: flexibility in spades!

On 01/06/2018 at 10:29, Al Krow said:

So you went from an 'also ran' synth to one of the very best out there without having to go through the trials and tribulations of a bunch of others. That is highly efficient.

Actually, I have the FI and the SYB-5 on my board - partly because the SYB sounds amazing with an expression pedal on it: some of the distortion tones are huge sounding, and one or two of the synths are really good too. The FI is supremely configurable, but the expression pedal support (I am using MIDI / FCB1010 with Uno at the moment) is limited in what controller IDs it can respond to. Hopefully PandaMidi will continue to update software on request 😉

• Like 1

Just now, basexperience said:

How's the new version of the Super Synth? I have the original one, which I really like. Have you tried the PC editor yet?

It's a fine unit. But the changes from the original version are actually only cosmetic as far as I'm aware. The PC editor is a MUST on the MB SS, as I'm sure you'll agree, otherwise you only really scratch the surface.

I've also recently been appreciating just what a good octaver it is.  

I have, however, just this week acquired a Future Impact pedal, which is excellent and, as you can see(!) there will not be space for both that and the MB SS on my board, so I'm going to be moving on my MB SS shortly...watch this space (or more precisely the effects FS section!) :) 

A couple of new pedal additions {FI in place of Markbass SS and Keeley Bassist in place of Cali 76CB} plus wanting to see if I could get one or two "strays" back onto the board and a bit more refinement with my signal chain, means I've gone back to my slightly larger PT Classic Jr (which is c. 15% bigger than the Metro 24).

Signal chain as follows:

Smoothound -> 2 inputs (AB-Y) [allows easy switch e.g. between electric bass and EUB] -> 
Octaver [Valeton OC-10] -> Synths [Matryoshka & FI] -> Drive/Fuzz [SA Aftershock] -> Filter [SA Manta] -> Gated Fuzz [Mastotron] -> Modulation, EQ & HPF [Zoom MS-60B & Mosaic] -> Limiter [Keeley Bassist]
-> output / amp

I think I'm done now with making changes to my board (famous last words!) - looking forward to putting it to use and making some sounds! 

PB - 1808 III.JPG

• Like 2

Currently schleping up to Scotland for a gig. Taking minimal gear, so instead of ripping apart my main board, decided to throw together a little something else. TU-2 & OC-2 standards, but whilst I know how good the Digitech is as a synth, forgot how good an envelope filter it is. Running the Flashback with a Chorus toneprint on it!

1FD957FB-89EE-4AB9-BEA1-C8CB22021117.jpeg.adfeac0c5f8f8ea723a8b88ad27a22ea.jpeg

Si

• Like 1

I don't do gigs anymore so my Gorilla Stand pedal board is attached to the wall above my PC desk which makes it easier to get to with my hands rather than my feet.

Providence Vitalizer FB >>> MXR 87 Compressor >>> TC Electronic Spectracomp >>> Tech 21 Sansamp Para Driver >>> Tech 21 Leeds Character >>> Tech 21 VT Bass Deluxe >>> Tech 21 Q\Strip >>> TC Electronic Hall Of Fame Reverb. All are powered by a MXR ISO Brick.

2018-09-01 20.52.39.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

You have two compressors next to each other in the signal chain. What is your thinking behind that?

Yes that is right!...........The reason being is that I use a TC Electronic BH250 Amplifier and the Spectracomp does not work great with it probably due to Toneprint compatability on both items when used at the same time. So if I am using the BH250 Amp I use the MXR Compressor instead of the Spectracomp.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Kev said:

I like the reviews on the Hyper Luminal Compressor and I am a sucker for Compressor pedals as I own five. This looks like it will probably end up on my pedal board but the current price of £235.00 is stopping me getting it at the moment. I think I will hang on for a bit and wait for more reviews before taking the plunge.

Spent the evening doing the same as Kev and rewiring my board, having worked out a 'hack' to allow me to get my MXR IsoBrick PSU underneath my board earlier in the day.

Decided to take off a couple of pedals which are more likely to be for home use rather than for gigs (e.g. Mosaic for use with my Ibby 6er tuned E to E to provide a 12 string guitar effect, but an octave lower). The net result of all of the above was to allow me enough space to swap my MS-60 for my B3n. Had a little play with it tonight and loving the combination of sounds this was throwing out.

Signal chain as follows:

Smoothound (can be attached to the side if being used with the board, otherwise input straight into) -> 

Octaver [Valeton OC-10] -> Synth [FI] -> Modulation, EQ & HPF [Zoom B3n] -> Drive/Fuzz [SA Aftershock] ->  Digital Filter [SA Manta] -> Gated Fuzz [Mastotron] -> Analogue Filter [MXR BEF] -> Limiter [Keeley Bassist]

-> output / amp

Underneath board:

MXR IsoBrick; SA Neurohub; Behringer DI400P (passive DI pedal). 

PB - 1809 II (final!).JPG

Having churned over 20 pedals during the past 18 months, I'm sensing that my pedal journey is hopefully going to transition from 'buying and trying' to 'using and abusing' which must admit I'm looking forward to!

This is what my 'first' board looked like 12 months ago :):

PB - 1708 (first).jpg

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 2

On 14/09/2018 at 10:58, blablas said:

A few updates in pedals and layout.

You're definitely not allowed to just say a "few updates" as it's a bit like one of those Daily Mail puzzles where they tease you with the hard to spot item in a picture! 😂

So what's changed and why? :) 

Edited by Al Krow

Been re thinking what i need recently, and have decided on these few. I intend  to replace the Helix with a SA Lunar, so ill have chorus and Phaser in one box. My BDDI will now not be used as always on, as I’m trying to get away from using it. The COG is sounding nice and the first Chanel will now be my always on, and the second with higher gain will give me my dirt. 

Compressor has gone, and no one has writing any stern letters to me yet.....

15111559-5BC5-4BB9-A804-E91D6020AFFE.thumb.jpeg.a627808de08d1b50bb24806848d6272e.jpeg

143C24CA-BAE4-4C2A-8703-A4B0EDDC87FA.thumb.jpeg.b997fdb62c64953d8d38455799b51c4c.jpeg

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 2

To be honest,...I have no real Effects on my Board. Tuner,  Compressor, the VONG Filter, wich is an adjustable High Pass and Low Pass Filter + an adjustable +16db Boost on the Foot Switch, a Polarity Switch and a DI Out. The WTDI i only use as a 3-Band EQ for my passive Yamaha BBG5. It stays "off" when I play my Lakland. When I am home I use the DI Out from the WTDI to go from there into my Tascam Interface for practicing or recording at Home. In our Rehearsal Room or on Stage i use the DI Out from my Mesa.

20180918-P9180297.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've recently been toying with downsizing and getting a Tech21 Bass Fly Rig. However, I did read somewhere that Tech21 say that the Fly Rig isn't there to replace your normal pedalboard; this gave me pause. However, my old Diago board (see earlier in this thread) is heavy and takes up a fair bit of floorspace and once the GAS bug bites, it has to be sated. So I bought a Pedal Train Nano+ which comes in a natty little gigbag. I also bought the Pedal Train Volto power supply (all my pedals are analogue) so now I can also do away with running a power cable to the board too, happy days. During today's rain I got out the soldering iron and made a 9 volt supply lead to go to the battery connector in my old Airline (the normal wall wart is a 12 volt supply, go figure) and wired it all up. A happy bunny resides at Ez Towers. Even with all the pedals attached it still weighs less than the now empty Diago board.

IMG_1089.jpg

IMG_1090.jpg