Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

On 10/07/2018 at 07:25, MarshallBTB said:

It doesn't get far off, and I'd happily use the HX on its own (and did when I first got it), but side by side it still doesn't have the same feel as an actual OC-2, if that makes sense. Especially for the classic oct 1 setting, which is how I keep it set. I do use the Octave on the HX for a 'normal' octave effect, set with a low mix to beef up certain parts.

The HX is fantastic though, takes a bit of time to learn all the routing options but it's well worth putting the time in. 

Have you tried using the PitchRingMod (I think that's what it was called) for an OC-2 tone? Gets closer than the legacy Octaver does I think. But there are specific settings required that I can't recall but did post somewhere in the Helix thread!

IMG_20180710_223415.thumb.jpg.e9925ef9b3b888a7e0a60ccdda5c53b3.jpg

Small and simpls.

Pedaltrain Metro 20 board with a Volto power supply underneath.

Tuner - Spectracomp - B3K - Pork & Pickle - Bass Chorus - Subway DI.

I don't use the Pork & Pickle much and I think I will swap that out for an envelope filter.  Apart from that I've not found significant use for effects with the bass guitar.

2 hours ago, CygnusX2112 said:

IMG_20180710_223415.thumb.jpg.e9925ef9b3b888a7e0a60ccdda5c53b3.jpg

Small and simpls.

Pedaltrain Metro 20 board with a Volto power supply underneath.

Tuner - Spectracomp - B3K - Pork & Pickle - Bass Chorus - Subway DI.

I don't use the Pork & Pickle much and I think I will swap that out for an envelope filter.  Apart from that I've not found significant use for effects with the bass guitar.

Depending on your filter choice, you might find the P&P comes in handy. I definitely find that filters like something to chew on and I often run a Pork Loin into my Manta when I want something a bit more normcore than a gated fuzz. I may well trade up to the P&P in any case, to get the muff option in the same box.

• Thanks 1

Latest revision includes the Source  expression pedal to control the Manta and the Scrutator filter sweeps. I don’t like the fiddly cable tbh, but If I’d taken the hub route, I’d have needed a second expression pedal off the board. Next change will be swapping out the El Capistan for a nice flexible reverb.

EE231E65-C762-4592-8211-18E58B925359.thumb.jpeg.cfce2bde68b79d9769e51a53c20fd8d6.jpeg

Edited by radiophonic
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, shizznit said:

My pedalboard setup changes frequently depending on the gig, but this is how it looks this week (with the addition of a fan whilst we endure the heatwave!)

4CA17FA8-0D94-4D87-A335-1C2C5BE85368.jpeg

Interesting dual octaver action here.  How close can you get to the OC2 wit the MXR, or are they for totally different applications?

1 hour ago, radiophonic said:

Interesting dual octaver action here.  How close can you get to the OC2 wit the MXR, or are they for totally different applications?

I use them for different applications. They behave and sound quite differently to each other in use.

The OC-2 has an almost robotic sounding deep synth tone which I can’t get with the MXR pedal. It can get quite close, but when you A/B them the OC-2 wins every time...for that type of sound. If you want that 80’s style keyboard bass effect then this pedal will give you that. I have also used this OC-2 for a drum and bass session I did about 10yrs ago and it sounded awesome. Sounds really great with a gated fuzz too.

The MXR is for funkier, choppier uses. It tracks better than the OC-2 and the mid boost function gives a really growly, punchy presence, which I really love. It doesn’t have the same trouser shaking depth as the OC-2, but I don’t need that using this pedal as I mix quite a lot of the dry signal from the bass to keep it crisp and focussed. When I use it with the envelope filter it sounds seriously funky!

13 hours ago, shizznit said:

I use them for different applications. They behave and sound quite differently to each other in use.

The OC-2 has an almost robotic sounding deep synth tone which I can’t get with the MXR pedal. It can get quite close, but when you A/B them the OC-2 wins every time...for that type of sound. If you want that 80’s style keyboard bass effect then this pedal will give you that. I have also used this OC-2 for a drum and bass session I did about 10yrs ago and it sounded awesome. Sounds really great with a gated fuzz too.

The MXR is for funkier, choppier uses. It tracks better than the OC-2 and the mid boost function gives a really growly, punchy presence, which I really love. It doesn’t have the same trouser shaking depth as the OC-2, but I don’t need that using this pedal as I mix quite a lot of the dry signal from the bass to keep it crisp and focussed. When I use it with the envelope filter it sounds seriously funky!

Interesting. I keep flip-flopping on getting an OC2 and I'd heard the MXR could get close and fixed most of the OC2s downsides. Sounds like the old Boss is still the daddy though. I think we could do with a 'post your octave down' thread, with the OC2 via as many basses as possible as a ref.

On 15 July 2018 at 16:24, shizznit said:

My pedalboard setup changes frequently depending on the gig, but this is how it looks this week (with the addition of a fan whilst we endure the heatwave!)

4CA17FA8-0D94-4D87-A335-1C2C5BE85368.jpeg

What do you use the SYB-5 for?  And do you have any favourite settings?

I use it for a couple of Muse covers but am thinking of ditching it.

18 hours ago, garyt said:

What do you use the SYB-5 for?  And do you have any favourite settings?

I use it for a couple of Muse covers but am thinking of ditching it.

Because there are so many sounds you can get out of this pedal I try to limit my use of it so I can quickly remember which settings I like according to the song I play. This pedal is great fun at home or in the studio as you have time to tweak, but on the fly in a performance situation it’s not very user friendly if you need to call up multiple tones.

I typically only use two tones which only needs one knob to tweak without changing the mode setting. I start with choosing mode 10, set the frequency and resolution to about half way (give or take a little tweak in either direction), quite a bit of dry mix and roll back the fx mix to about the 2 o’clock position. I leave it like that pretty much permanently. At this point all I have to do is control is the decay knob. All the way up gets rid of the envelope filter and creates a really gnarly gated fuzz tone. I can add additional affects after this pedal if I want to for a bit more fun. If I roll back the decay filter I start engaging the envelope filter which gives a vocal sounding envelope filter for a keyboard synth tone. So, two completely different tones and only one knob to tweak.

It’s an awesome pedal, but I am in the market for something that has memory to store and call up tones, such as the Markbass Super Synth or SourceAudio Multiwave Bass Distortion.

• Like 1

Both the bands I play in are 'on hiatus' for various reasons, giving me time to play around with effects - choices, signal path etc.  As usual there are compromises - currently I can't switch the synth sounds in and out with one tap, but I've got maximum flexibility in terms of the drive part of the synth - Pork Loin/Gated Fuzz/Bitcrusher. The Manta is semi-benched, due to the size of the Moog. I can still run it off the board in the spare LS2 loop (i.e no rewiring required) and I need to get my head around all the options it offers first.  It makes sense to exploit all the weirder filter options rather than try to beat the Moog at it's own game.  MXR BCD is also off the the board since I add chorus directly to the Flashback via a tone-print and I don't tend to use chorus as a standalone effect. I still need to sort out the expression control to the bitcrusher but if I'm using the Manta, I still have the option to take the CV output from the Moog, so I can get control of three pedals from the SA Dual expression controller. 

Filter.thumb.jpg.96d4aeabe28e7e5cb143ee8af879f6fc.jpg

• Like 3

Just one change to my board over the past 4 months, set up today, but a crazy / mad / fun change I suspect!

The old...

PB - 1803 I.JPG

And the new...

Really looking forward to getting my head around the myriad sonic permutations on offer! 

PB - 1807 .JPG

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 3

On 28/07/2018 at 23:43, Jonathan Bee said:

A bit of a messy work in progress!

Bass - Spectracomp - LS2 - Loop A: OC2 - Mooer Fog - Columbus Chorus - Sonuus Wahoo - Arion Delay , Loop B: SA Manta - Mooer Pure - EHX Epitome - Zoom B3- Boss V wah.

Have yet to hook up SA hub for Manta presets.

20180728_233458-1.thumb.jpg.08857cc7fe1a9a8e15b1aeb36504dfe1.jpg

I'm currently faffing with Full_Zoom vs Zoom and pedals... What do you use the B3 for if you don't mind me asking? And any particular reasons why you choose to use the other pedals instead?

@operative451

I use the Zoom for mainly  delay ,reverb and modulation. I prefer the EHX Epitome for an octave up, and OC 2 for octave down. I also prefer filter and synthy sounds from the SA Manta and Sonuus Wahoo.  I find these alternatives to sound less 'artificial' than the zoom. I also like having two effects loops via the LS2, and that way always have the option of blending two quite different sounds E.G Octave down (OC2) with Fuzz (Fog) and filter sweeps (Wahoo) with second loop of Octave up with reverb (Epitome), filtered delay (Zoom) and Univibe (V Wah). 

• Like 2

On 31/05/2018 at 10:21, blablas said:

W2ZDfl8.jpg

Changes. ;)
thv2uRU.jpg
One new pedal, retired two others, reinstated an old one and moved a few around.
Also replaced most of the EBS patch cables with the newer version EBS patch cable. Had some problems with bad contact at several positions in the chain a few months ago. Hopefully the new version will behave better, they have gold plated plugs so should be more reliable than the older nickel plated plugs.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Jonathan Bee said:

@operative451

I use the Zoom for mainly  delay ,reverb and modulation. I prefer the EHX Epitome for an octave up, and OC 2 for octave down. I also prefer filter and synthy sounds from the SA Manta and Sonuus Wahoo.  I find these alternatives to sound less 'artificial' than the zoom. I also like having two effects loops via the LS2, and that way always have the option of blending two quite different sounds E.G Octave down (OC2) with Fuzz (Fog) and filter sweeps (Wahoo) with second loop of Octave up with reverb (Epitome), filtered delay (Zoom) and Univibe (V Wah). 

fab, thanks!