Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

20180214_123740.thumb.jpg.d1d3979d20edc4c9b81d9c17dcd76687.jpg

There, much better I think! I even added my Mooer envelope filter

And here are some sound samples of various pedal combinations. The Le Bass is always on, even for the 'clean' sample (it's a pretty clean tone)

It's all my own music, played on my Yamaha TRB1006J into a Carvin BX700 (flat EQ) and TC Electronic 212, mic'd with an AKG P2. No post-recording wizardry

Edited by LegateNaarifin
Removed individual files, added Soundcloud links. Added more info
  • Like 1

@LegateNaarifin Nice. This kind of stuff is useful. Even your clean sound has some grit to it in the harmonics (presumably from the LeBass?). I've never used a board preamp and my amp has headroom for miles. I'm currently stacking a Pork Loin into a Rat for two levels of gain, but your preamp approach to the low gain grit might be less of a jump from my totally clean sound. Not sure I can afford a 2Notes though, or the footprint for that matter. 

1 hour ago, radiophonic said:

@LegateNaarifin Nice. This kind of stuff is useful. Even your clean sound has some grit to it in the harmonics (presumably from the LeBass?). I've never used a board preamp and my amp has headroom for miles. I'm currently stacking a Pork Loin into a Rat for two levels of gain, but your preamp approach to the low gain grit might be less of a jump from my totally clean sound. Not sure I can afford a 2Notes though, or the footprint for that matter. 

Yeah, I like a pinch of grit for my basic sound. There are lots of preamp pedals out there, off the top of my head MXR do good stuff in a fairly compact size, as do Ampeg, and of course there's Sansamp stuff. There's a real market for that sort of thing. Took ages before I settled on Le Bass

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

+1 

Yup, thanks for the sound samples. What recording interface are you using?

Focusrite 6i6, into Reaper

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LegateNaarifin said:

Yeah, I like a pinch of grit for my basic sound. There are lots of preamp pedals out there, off the top of my head MXR do good stuff in a fairly compact size, as do Ampeg, and of course there's Sansamp stuff. There's a real market for that sort of thing. Took ages before I settled on Le Bass

Focusrite 6i6, into Reaper

The Le Bass is a very good pedal and has some loyal fans on BC.

+1 for Focusrite 6i6 into Reaper (exactly the same set up as I'm planning on using!)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, GisserD said:

honestly... side by side there was no comparison. you have to try the aggie!!

Hah! I have. I'd say the Aggie does have the overall better tonal variety and colour. The COG T16 has a great clean blend that sits nicely with other pedals and tracks a little bit lower than the Aggie (which were my priorities). 

They are definitely both excellent octaver options, for sure, and where you rank them is personal preference. In this case your COG loss is my gain! :) 

I've tidied things up with some Harley Benton flat patch cables and incorporated the Eden bass chorus and Digitech envelope filter. Also, all this tidying on top of the board means that my amp footswitch now has a place. However, there is now no space to carry the Jim dunlop bass wah in the pedal bag!! Next up is tidying the underside. After playing with the endless combinations of envelope filter!

I changed things around so I can get the drive out of the Hartke pedal at the front of the chain to drive any of the other effects. The amp overdrive is pretty good so I have that as "end of chain" drive. I'm not in to mega distortion but just thought having the option at each end of the chain was sensible. The only thing I want to add is some sort of reverb for when I'm playing my fretless, will experiment with that later. The pedals you can't see very well are a boss limiter enhancer and a korg pitch black.

Any comments or suggestions very welcome, I am no effects expert but just dipping my toe in!

IMG_20180215_110201.jpg

Edited by uk_lefty

1 hour ago, haraszo said:

New board is finally complete. Powerful and portable.

signal chain:

cali 76 > providence BFX-1 (L1: Boss OC-2 octaver / L2: Chase Bliss Audio Brothers / L3: RMI Basswitch Sonic Spark / L4: Strymon Mobius) > TC Polytune mini