Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

[quote name='littlegreenman' timestamp='1334460502' post='1616469']
OK, I'll play ;)

New to this bass malarkey, so no clue if I've got the signal chain correct. Seems to sound OK though. Should probably ditch the Wah and get a smaller device for pitch shift stuff, but I need to replace the left-hand side for skinny string duties. Bass bits come off, guitar bits go on. Damn, I need 2 boards ;)
[/quote]

No such thing as right or wrong where your signal chain is concerned. If it sounds good to you then that's all that matters!

Here's my Toyshelf...

You can have all the Thumpinators and Boutique pedals in the world, but my board's got The Beano and The Dandy on the front...

...and a light from Poundland to illuminate those pesky cheat sheets and set lists.

Don't laugh buddy, Victor Wooten will have one of these by Christmas...

[quote name='littlegreenman' timestamp='1334460502' post='1616469']
OK, I'll play ;)

New to this bass malarkey, so no clue if I've got the signal chain correct. Seems to sound OK though. Should probably ditch the Wah and get a smaller device for pitch shift stuff, but I need to replace the left-hand side for skinny string duties. Bass bits come off, guitar bits go on. Damn, I need 2 boards ;)
[/quote]

Similar stuff here! I use the Microbass II and the Weeping Demon, but find the wah really nice in that effect loop of the Microbass. So my chain is usually EBS Multicomp -> Microbass -> Amp; with Wah -> dirt in the effects loop, which sounds huge with a 50% blend or whatever.

I've been set a summer challenge - to create a smaller pedalboard, using the effects I have, but that will easily go in the back of a car/on a seat/be carried etc with the aim of doing a few shows on the fly (turn up with a mini kit, bass and board and use other folks gear)...

Slimming down the pedals will be HARD given the diversity I am used to but I think I have a good idea of which pedals would make up this mini board. Question is - which board to get? Needs to be tough still so softcase/gig bags ones are out... The Diago Showman is an option but I recall it not being as tall as the Tourman and struggling with some expression pedals etc? (Maybe the owner of one can clarify?)

This will only be for a few shows, open mics and backing MC's, rather than performing out regular shows...

Shep

LS-2 came today so finished off the board so that I can use my tone sucking 105Q! May add a filter and comp but that'll be it. George L's are awesome, got them direct from georgel.co.uk, way cheaper than anywhere else I saw, time consuming to make up but worth the effort...

[attachment=105306:IMG_0646.JPG]

:o you can't take the beast to bits!

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1334674791' post='1619530']
I've been set a summer challenge - to create a smaller pedalboard, using the effects I have, but that will easily go in the back of a car/on a seat/be carried etc with the aim of doing a few shows on the fly (turn up with a mini kit, bass and board and use other folks gear)...

Slimming down the pedals will be HARD given the diversity I am used to but I think I have a good idea of which pedals would make up this mini board. Question is - which board to get? Needs to be tough still so softcase/gig bags ones are out... The Diago Showman is an option but I recall it not being as tall as the Tourman and struggling with some expression pedals etc? (Maybe the owner of one can clarify?)

This will only be for a few shows, open mics and backing MC's, rather than performing out regular shows...

Shep
[/quote]

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1334674791' post='1619530']

Shep
[/quote]

The horror!

:o

[quote name='woodyratm' timestamp='1334675271' post='1619541']
Was that why you were looking into the Xenograph?
[/quote]

Actually no... but it will help. Main reason for the Xero is as amazing as the Moog sounds, it's noise floor is not brill. In my old set up it was fine but at the end of my extreme set up its a a bit too noisy for my liking... My fault for having a million pedals before it! :)

I won't take the beat to bit. just surgically remove a few units from it. All cabling and powering will stay in place and I'll look to have separate powering etc on the little board (eventually!) and I'll just move a few units back and forth as needed.

Looking at sizes online the Diago Showman looks to be the most sensible one for me. I think I'll start planning the layout around those dimensions and see how I get on... :)

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1334675728' post='1619553']
Actually no... but it will help. Main reason for the Xero is as amazing as the Moog sounds, it's noise floor is not brill. In my old set up it was fine but at the end of my extreme set up its a a bit too noisy for my liking... My fault for having a million pedals before it! :)

I won't take the beat to bit. just surgically remove a few units from it. All cabling and powering will stay in place and I'll look to have separate powering etc on the little board (eventually!) and I'll just move a few units back and forth as needed.

Looking at sizes online the Diago Showman looks to be the most sensible one for me. I think I'll start planning the layout around those dimensions and see how I get on... :)
[/quote]

Will you use pedals which are hidden under your shelf (mastotron for example) - or you thinking of getting another fuzz unit for the smaller board? You could of course just get new pedals and make an even bigger board.

I'm pretty sure you going to a smaller setup is a sign of the apocalypse :P

Lol... A Mastotron will be on the board, but I am to add a second to my big board (so one can be in the sub channel for that spiky Prodigy-Esque sub stone) which will replace the Boss EQ pedal. That will be easy to get to.

Current plans dictate that the top tier will not need to be removed in swapping the pedals...

Current idea is

MP-201 (which takes up 11x11"!)
Moog Cluster Flux
Moog LPF OR Xero depending on what I have
TC Nova Delay
Boss OC2
Mastotron
WMD Geiger Counter

I may drop the Delay as I'll be doing less soundscape stuff and more fat low end and wubwub'ing...

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1334676255' post='1619564']
Current idea is

MP-201 (which takes up 11x11"!)
Moog Cluster Flux
Moog LPF OR Xero depending on what I have
TC Nova Delay
Boss OC2
Mastotron
WMD Geiger Counter

I may drop the Delay as I'll be doing less soundscape stuff and more fat low end and wubwub'ing...
[/quote]

That's pretty damn close to John Davis' board if I remember correctly? I don't think you could get away with much less than that, unless if you tried something like what Fattybassman does with his M9? Just a thought.

[quote name='EskimoBassist' timestamp='1334676530' post='1619573']
That's pretty damn close to John Davis' board if I remember correctly? I don't think you could get away with much less than that, unless if you tried something like what Fattybassman does with his M9? Just a thought.
[/quote]

Not dissimilar to JD's board, though he now uses an M9 as well to cover all modulation (so in place of my Cluster Flux). I don't want to buy any more pedals to make this work. I just had a little clear out and am hoping to replace my LPF with the Xero as long as the custom specs work out.... I have an order in for a new dirt pedal from FUZZROCIOUS as well to fill the space where my 'fuzz' was sitting. Pedals are now strictly one out, one in... so nothing new for the mini board.

I got my pedalboard/case from Spider Engineering (I think they're known as Flightcase Warehouse). They make flightcases to your size, so if you wanted to go the same style of route where teh board is part of the lid (rather than a wedge that you lift out) then might be worth checking them out.

[url="http://www.spider-engineering.co.uk/music/index.asp?groupID=2400"]Here's the webby.[/url]

They do quite a lot of other useful stuff too. :D

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1334678575' post='1619633']
I got my pedalboard/case from Spider Engineering (I think they're known as Flightcase Warehouse). They make flightcases to your size, so if you wanted to go the same style of route where teh board is part of the lid (rather than a wedge that you lift out) then might be worth checking them out.

[url="http://www.spider-engineering.co.uk/music/index.asp?groupID=2400"]Here's the webby.[/url]

They do quite a lot of other useful stuff too. :D
[/quote]

Cheers dude. I had a Spider Engineering board a while back. Unfortunately it took 3 gigs for some rivets to drop out and fall apart :(. On the flip side a friend of mine bought a custom sized board from FC Warehouse years ago and it's been through more airport baggage handlers than you'd believe and still looks new! I Think I was unlucky.

Useful for pedalboards and not something I've seen before - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boss-Diago-Gigrig-Pedaltrain-pedalboard-Pedal-Saver-/110860591294?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item19cfce60be#ht_1386wt_1183

Replaces the bottom of a boss pedal with a flat surface. Come in packs of 3...

Can anyone suggest somewhere in London where I stand a good chance of picking up a pedaltrain nano this weekend ? I'd try Denmark St but I've not noticed pedalboards in those shops before.

A TC polytune mini is also on this weekends shopping list if anyone has any bright ideas on that.

[quote name='Ant' timestamp='1334822759' post='1621701']
i always just cut the velcro into thin strips and put it round the edge of the boss pedals rubber, worked for years with no problems, in fact i think the tu2 i did it to was the most secure pedal on my board
[/quote]

Yeah that's exactly what I do, mostly to preserve all the Japanese Black Labels lol

Si