Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

On 17/02/2019 at 12:31, Rick05 said:

Wanted to post my board on here. Iv had the same setup for a while now and love reverb and drive sounds.

The one I don’t really use is the octamiser, which is a shame.

id also like to add another drive in like the darkglass alpha onega or microtubes for some heavier stuff, but not sure yet.

33A75006-EF88-4CB5-A21C-61F9F326E856.jpeg

Nice looking board. I use a Duality and B3K. It took me quite a while to decide what to put first in the chain. I have decided on putting the Duality into the B3K is working best for me

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bassfan said:

After selling my board and 90% of my pedals last year I thought I might need to try again.... 

8BF83A2D-E060-4917-A809-A7EDA8EACB8B.jpeg

That bottom feeder is a great little filter! Very similar to the Discumbobulator! I assume the discumbob is set to a reverse sweep, for a different sound?

6 minutes ago, lee650 said:

That bottom feeder is a great little filter! Very similar to the Discumbobulator! I assume the discumbob is set to a reverse sweep, for a different sound?

I find the discombobulater set like that gives it a bit of 70s squelch. Not too much. I don’t use it live but might if we have no keyboard player at a gig. The bottom feeder was my first ever pedal and is never used live. Just for annoying the missus on a Sunday. 😂 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, fuzzonaut said:

Here we go, my spaceship control center. This is the main board, feeding 3 amps, sort of a wet/"dry"/wet setup, with the 2 wet signals running through another smaller sideboard each.

Otherwise, I'm fine.

board-of-madness.thumb.jpg.c3ec73ea91dc50a7fe54b7b23498d5e8.jpg

Wow! Feeding 3 amps at the same time?! 

Love to see your full set up including rigs. 

On 24/02/2019 at 09:52, danny-79 said:

Nice looking board. I use a Duality and B3K. It took me quite a while to decide what to put first in the chain. I have decided on putting the Duality into the B3K is working best for me

Thanks, I played around a lot with this but like the attack I get when the b3k is first. Both sound good though

• Like 1

Here's my updated incarnation with the two new additions (Grizzly Bass and Fwonkbeta) in the chain. 

PB - 1902 .jpg

Currently just home use only for creative sonic fun. Still gigging the old fashioned way with bass --> amp & cab (via Smoothound wireless).

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And I hate to have to admit this, but I think I noted a "very tangible" (as opposed to a relatively subtle, but nice) difference from having a comp at the start of my signal chain last night: 

When combined with my MXR BEF I needed to dig in significantly less hard to get a consistently good 'squelch' than compared to playing without the comp i.e. the comp appears to open up the filter nicely.

On a separate point, I've also been thinking about whether I need both the Fwonkbeta and the BEF given the greater control that the BEF allows me, but the Fwonk has a brighter / less dark core tone (which is just the ticket for funk right?) than the BEF, and which seems to work well in the 'mix', whilst the BEF has a greater 'clarity' which is nice solo'd. So they're both staying on my board for now! :) 

Edited by Al Krow

Are you using your Helix as a tuner?

surely if you have a hx stomp you could make a patch which equals your fave on each pedal and slowly sell off what you can duplicate. If you find a sound you can’t recreate then keep that pedal? 

Edited by krispn
Second question added.

36 minutes ago, krispn said:

Are you using your Helix as a tuner?

surely if you have a hx stomp you could make a patch which equals your fave on each pedal and slowly sell off what you can duplicate. If you find a sound you can’t recreate then keep that pedal? 

👍

That is the plan! Although word on the street is that the Helix hasn't mastered synth yet so it's likely that the FI will survive to tell its story for a while yet (unless this new SA Spectrum pedal matches the hype that its makers are putting out about it!)

But, you're right, I suspect that we have reached 'peak pedals' for the Krow board. 

On the BIG plus side I've finally managed to get shot of the Markbass 410, which I received as part-ex on a cab sale, so I've suddenly got a whole lot more room including easy access to my bass rig for the first time in ages. So I'm hoping progress with getting to grips with the capabilities of the pedal board will speed up a bit now (yeah, yeah I know you're probably thinking it couldn't be going much slower - lol!). 

Gratuitous pic of the home rig...

Rig - 1902 .jpg

Edited by Al Krow

1 minute ago, krispn said:

So the helix is a tuner for now then. That’s one function you can tick off as having exhausted 😀

Or saved £500 and bought a small separate tuner. 😂😂

@Al Krow don’t forget I’m waiting for 3 of the pedals on that board. No rush though. 🤣🤣

27 minutes ago, bassfan said:

Or saved £500 and bought a small separate tuner. 😂😂

@Al Krow don’t forget I’m waiting for 3 of the pedals on that board. No rush though. 🤣🤣

Ah you're a man discernment Mr bass fan. So that's 3 pedals on my board in addition to the pedal board, Spectracomp and Mesa M6 you've recently got following a short visit to the Krow bass-ment, plus being on the waiting list for the "LA teeth white" BBNE2 with gold bling hardware? Although I suspect that particular GAS might find its status being reversed this week.

35 minutes ago, krispn said:

So the helix is a tuner for now then. That’s one function you can tick off as having exhausted 😀

The annoying (well maybe not) thing is that I have a separate tuner (which is consistently out a tiny bit across all 5 strings by the same amount, but at least I know exactly where to pitch things at). Very handy if you don't have a tuner on your amp or don't fancy carting a whole pedal board with you:

image.jpeg.9117cb3b26223ba77060e8f3ed5501e6.jpeg

And for the record, the Helix cost me nearer £420, I believe.

Which isn't a bad price for a tuner.

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Ah you're a man discernment Mr bass fan. So that's 3 pedals on my board in addition to the pedal board, Spectracomp and Mesa M6 you've recently got following a short visit to the Krow bass-ment, plus being on the waiting list for the "LA teeth white" BBNE2 with gold bling hardware? Although I suspect that particular GAS might find its status being reversed this week.

Yeah... you are a bad influence, although to be fair the pedal board was needed, I was stupid to sell my spectracomp, the M6 was a no brainier and right place right time and the BBNE2 is gorgeous but has one to many strings...like what you did with Status there  😂

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Wow! Feeding 3 amps at the same time?! 

Love to see your full set up including rigs. 

Yes, 3 amps at the same time.

Here are the 2 smaller boards and the rigs.

On the main board, there are 2 fuzzes going to all 3 amps, then comes the Meatbox where I split. Wet goes through the 2 Aguilars into the rig in the middle (dry/sub). Everything else on the main, board, except the Wizard Fuzz, is on both amps left and right, then the DD7 splits again. From there each signal goes through one of the small boards into one of the amps on the side.

small1.jpg

small2.jpg

amps.jpg

Edited by fuzzonaut
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

@fuzzonaut - am also impressed you're getting your DOD Meatbox to work. I couldn't really get anything like its full potential with my 10" / 12" cab set up. Are you using 18" or sub woofers?

I'm using an Acoustic 301. It's a 18" folded horn. That cab handles those frequencies without any problems. Probably helps that I'm splitting.

Live, I run it to the PA.

• Like 1

That makes sense. I was almost tempted to get a woofer (a BF one had been listed) to go alongside the Meatbox, but it was starting to become quite a journey down a rabbit hole so I decided to cut my losses and moved the Meatbox on instead... 😀

Edited by Al Krow

@Al Krow

If your tuner is consistently ‘accurately’ off check if has an option to ‘set the tuning’ maybe a switch or a function button. It’s possible you may have hit it and changed the A-440Hz to something else. Many tuners have the ability to change the A-440hz so you can down tune etc and still get an ‘in tune’ reading. 

#RTM