Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

I posted my other pedal-board some months ago (for doubling gigs: double bass and elec bass), but here is my mini & light-weight board for straightforward electric bass gigs ( e.g. bigband, jazz sets, singer-songwriter style gigs etc). On the occasion I need a bit of warmth, I use the tone feature on the Empress and/or the pre-amp valve on my Mesa WD800 head, or I add-on a pre-amp. For power, underneath this one I use a Cioks ADAM. The board is a Rockboard Duo 2. If I need a couple of extra effects, typically I'd 'add-on' something like my OC5 Octave and Raffery Fuzz, which I keep velcro'd to a stand-alone riser plate (but power using the remaining power outlet from the Adam).

IMG20220104135318.jpg

IMG20220104135411(1).jpg

• Like 2

Currently running a Wampler Mini-Ego compressor - T-Rex Quint Machine octaver - EHX Bass Clone chorus - MXR Carbon Copy Mini delay - Tech 21 VT Bass DI. All powered by a T-Rex Fuel Tank Junior. Only the delay isn't an always on effect. I think I may switch away from clip-on tuners and get a pedal tuner but it'll have to be a wee one if I do - recommend me one.

IMG_20220104_115639.jpg

• Like 3

16 hours ago, TeresaFR said:

Currently running a Wampler Mini-Ego compressor - T-Rex Quint Machine octaver - EHX Bass Clone chorus - MXR Carbon Copy Mini delay - Tech 21 VT Bass DI. All powered by a T-Rex Fuel Tank Junior. Only the delay isn't an always on effect. I think I may switch away from clip-on tuners and get a pedal tuner but it'll have to be a wee one if I do - recommend me one.

IMG_20220104_115639.jpg

Very nice - There aren't many that can show they have a small ego ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

image.thumb.png.9e4782d1b24244ec744bec82a951a4e1.png

Reckon I need a bigger boat?
If anyone can suggest a nicer way to lay this out please let me know!

Considering looking and a slimmer Chorus and Fuzz this year to make some room, any suggestions?
(The Ditto is just place holding fro my Spectraclomp which I've loaned to @Merton for now).

Cheers,

Eude

• Like 4

7 hours ago, eude said:

image.thumb.png.9e4782d1b24244ec744bec82a951a4e1.png

Reckon I need a bigger boat?
If anyone can suggest a nicer way to lay this out please let me know!

Considering looking and a slimmer Chorus and Fuzz this year to make some room, any suggestions?
(The Ditto is just place holding fro my Spectraclomp which I've loaned to @Merton for now).

Cheers,

Eude

Well, out of love for the Bass Clone I won't make any recommendations for slimmer choruses. Actually, I can't as I've not tried a chorus that wasn't a Clone. But as for slimmer fuzzes, the Nano Bass Big Muff should probably be your fall back option just because it's the most obvious smaller option for what you already run. Certainly not the smallest option, what with Hotone, Tone City, etc producing dinky wee things, which I see you're not averse to. I do recall seeing some interesting videos made by Andertons on those mini pedal manufacturers that might help you out.

… my take on a loop station …

B7556B46-AAB0-432B-B352-F642AAA6D3D6.thumb.jpeg.0ef9c75ea8803cc62e521c1ea9eb2551.jpeg

31D31205-0EAE-44A7-9C3C-76187CC896D6.thumb.jpeg.8b509aaa45d6ac63f225aa4d93f08b5b.jpeg

… bass goes into the Ditto Stereo, if I want to run two basses the stereo input can take a second. That then goes to the board, if two basses used each into the Radial Bassbone Tone bone. Then from the board to the Ditto X2, then normal Ditto, Wiretap and finally the amp. 

The idea was to be able to set the pedals up (on whatever board I’m using at the time) without a bass in hand, then create looping layers with the remaining 2 loopers and if anything interesting comes  of it record using the Wiretap. With the looping board all powered from a normal TC Electronic PSU and a 4 way daisy chain 👍🏼.

Works a treat tbh thankfully.

Edited by jimbobothy
  • Like 2

So version 1 of my pedalboard got a quick test yesterday.

IMG_2007.thumb.JPG.25e76205b9011f9a0d466bbd0e1bea7d.JPG

Currently:

in -> Hyper Gravity -> StroboStomp -> Godeater -> LS-2 in -> LS-2 out -> Zoom B3 -> NUX DI -> out

LS-2 loop A is a dry parallel signal

LS-2 loop B send -> HM-2 ->Trace Elliot Quad Chorus -> EHX Memory Man -> loop B return

The Zoom is there while I figure out if there are any other types of pedal I need (ignore current patch) and the Hyper Gravity might go.

Just waiting for a 2.5mm dc barrel to arrive to make a 2.1 to 2.5 lead for the Quad Chorus then I can ditch its dedicated wall wart.

Then I can neaten up the all the cables with some cable ties and such.

Edited by bartelby
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Thunderbird said:

I look at these incredible boards and wonder how most of you use the effects are they just for fun or used in actual songs? I understand where preamps and drives are used but some of the boards blow my mind with the cool toys on them and I just can't think how some of them are used 🤔

I play in a few different wedding bands so I use octaves, filters and chorus to recreate synth bass sounds (I don't play with nay of them consistently enough to justify shelling out for an actual synth). I also make some pretty wild sounds in my original band, we're a trio so there's lots of space to take up. Having said that, my phaser and chorus probably get the least use of all my pedals, hence why I only have one of each.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Thunderbird said:

I look at these incredible boards and wonder how most of you use the effects are they just for fun or used in actual songs? I understand where preamps and drives are used but some of the boards blow my mind with the cool toys on them and I just can't think how some of them are used 🤔

44 minutes ago, bassist_lewis said:

I play in a few different wedding bands so I use octaves, filters and chorus to recreate synth bass sounds (I don't play with nay of them consistently enough to justify shelling out for an actual synth). I also make some pretty wild sounds in my original band, we're a trio so there's lots of space to take up. Having said that, my phaser and chorus probably get the least use of all my pedals, hence why I only have one of each.

I think originals bands and home noodling offer greater opps for pedal soundscapes, whereas with covers bands it's often more focussed. I've got a little gigging board for my covers stuff but quite a few extras for home creative fun.

If it's of interest I did a little survey on what other covers band bassists have on their pedal boards over on TB: Covers bands - besides a tuner what pedals are you using and on which songs?

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

On 07/01/2022 at 18:20, TeresaFR said:

Well, out of love for the Bass Clone I won't make any recommendations for slimmer choruses. Actually, I can't as I've not tried a chorus that wasn't a Clone. But as for slimmer fuzzes, the Nano Bass Big Muff should probably be your fall back option just because it's the most obvious smaller option for what you already run. Certainly not the smallest option, what with Hotone, Tone City, etc producing dinky wee things, which I see you're not averse to. I do recall seeing some interesting videos made by Andertons on those mini pedal manufacturers that might help you out.

I do like the EHX Bass Clone, so I guess if I change one, it's likely to be the Bass Big Muff. I have tried the Nano one and it didn't sound as good.

I wonder if it would be possible to put the Bass Big Muff into a smaller housing, but keeping all the same guts?

I've seen a few regular Big Muff rehousing jobbies like this >>

image.thumb.png.c7ac70c4ed5d5e2915cec18b2e8c5a0e.png

Another simpler, more sensible option might be to just have one delay pedal, but I love running a reverse echo into a digital delay, it's a lot of fun, but I guess not exactly useful in any real context bar mucking around...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eude said:

I do like the EHX Bass Clone, so I guess if I change one, it's likely to be the Bass Big Muff. I have tried the Nano one and it didn't sound as good.

I wonder if it would be possible to put the Bass Big Muff into a smaller housing, but keeping all the same guts?

Another simpler, more sensible option might be to just have one delay pedal, but I love running a reverse echo into a digital delay, it's a lot of fun, but I guess not exactly useful in any real context bar mucking around...

Have you tried the Russian big muff? It comes in the compact enclosure and sounds great (to my ears). I've never tried the bass muff but I've heard people say the Russian is better?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eude said:

Sounds like a job for @GisserD if you aren't insistent on a metal housing.

I wonder how many large boxes could be reehoused considerably smaller. I get the fancy delays etc. with multiple ins and outs need space for the sockets, but there are some older pedals, simpler ones, in big boxes.

On 08/01/2022 at 08:44, jimbobothy said:

… my take on a loop station …

B7556B46-AAB0-432B-B352-F642AAA6D3D6.thumb.jpeg.0ef9c75ea8803cc62e521c1ea9eb2551.jpeg

31D31205-0EAE-44A7-9C3C-76187CC896D6.thumb.jpeg.8b509aaa45d6ac63f225aa4d93f08b5b.jpeg

… bass goes into the Ditto Stereo, if I want to run two basses the stereo input can take a second. That then goes to the board, if two basses used each into the Radial Bassbone Tone bone. Then from the board to the Ditto X2, then normal Ditto, Wiretap and finally the amp. 

The idea was to be able to set the pedals up (on whatever board I’m using at the time) without a bass in hand, then create looping layers with the remaining 2 loopers and if anything interesting comes  of it record using the Wiretap. With the looping board all powered from a normal TC Electronic PSU and a 4 way daisy chain 👍🏼.

Works a treat tbh thankfully.

That is a whole lot of looping. Looping. Looping. Looping. Looping. And it's even putting me in a loop. Even putting me in a loop. Even putting me in a loop. Even pu - oh for gods sake, turn it off already!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Bassmidget209 said:

Have you tried the Russian big muff? It comes in the compact enclosure and sounds great (to my ears). I've never tried the bass muff but I've heard people say the Russian is better?

I have considered it yeah, I guess either that or another MXR pedal?
I haven't tried their bass fuzz yet...

On 08/01/2022 at 11:26, Thunderbird said:

I'm going to be a little presumptive and assume the above includes my board, though it's certainly one of the simpler set-ups. I'm in just the one band and other than the odd cover, we only do our own material. Of the five pedals on my board, four of them are always on effects. So the compressor, octaver, chorus and preamp. The comp is just what it is, something to smooth out my playing. My band doesn't have a guitarist or keyboard player so that's where my octaver comes in - adds a bit of upper octave, a fifth up and just for fun, a spot of octave down too. The chorus is for that beautiful 80s shimmer and that's a must for me. The VT is there for the Ampeg tone, the extra EQ options and just a little sizzle from the drive. Delay gets used to add spaciousness to a handful of songs, like an echo. One song in particular is written around the delay for the effect of being somewhere like a very large desolate cemetery in autumn/ winter.

My violinist uses a simple spring reverb set to maximum to give the vibe of her playing in the Underground.

I hope that gives you some ideas.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TeresaFR said:

I'm going to be a little presumptive and assume the above includes my board, though it's certainly one of the simpler set-ups. I'm in just the one band and other than the odd cover, we only do our own material. Of the five pedals on my board, four of them are always on effects. So the compressor, octaver, chorus and preamp. The comp is just what it is, something to smooth out my playing. My band doesn't have a guitarist or keyboard player so that's where my octaver comes in - adds a bit of upper octave, a fifth up and just for fun, a spot of octave down too. The chorus is for that beautiful 80s shimmer and that's a must for me. The VT is there for the Ampeg tone, the extra EQ options and just a little sizzle from the drive. Delay gets used to add spaciousness to a handful of songs, like an echo. One song in particular is written around the delay for the effect of being somewhere like a very large desolate cemetery in autumn/ winter.

My violinist uses a simple spring reverb set to maximum to give the vibe of her playing in the Underground.

I hope that gives you some ideas.

Yes your board is included 

Thanks for the answer 😊

57 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Nice board! Weren't the multis delivering the goods? 

They were, but I really find that I thrive more when living within a set of limitations and don't have every option in the universe available.

Also, even though the HX Effects was really easy to program, there's just something about having knobs available. I tweak things all the time now, and experimenting is fun.

The downside is that pedal GAS is kicking in again, so I really need to keep that in check. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1