Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

48 minutes ago, DiMarco said:

Which has me thinking should I switch to a Quad Cortex. The board I posted costs roughly the same as a QC unit.

Not sure which multi has properly cracked filter and synth yet. Not Helix. Obviously that's only an issue if those particular fx feature in your sets. 

The nice thing about a decent multi is that you can have a set of patches that is tweaked to suit each different bass you play, which I know is something you like to do, although must admit I've not taken things that far with my cheap as chips / amazing value Zoom B1-4. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DiMarco said:

Which has me thinking should I switch to a Quad Cortex. The board I posted costs roughly the same as a QC unit.

The big disadvantage of really good multi-fx is not having an excuse to faff around playing pedal Tetris and buying and selling pedals that are just marginally different! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

59 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

The nice thing about a decent multi is that you can have a set of patches that is tweaked to suit each different bass you play, which I know is something you like to do, although must admit I've not taken things that far with my cheap as chips / amazing value Zoom B1-4. 

I must admit to not having done much with the B1-4, but the B3 got pretty close on plug in baby. Certainly close enough for a pub. Shame I don't do anything like that now.

• Like 1

If the quad cortex can model

pedals just set up a couple

of the patches you use, model

them then sell the board 😀 

That way you can keep those patch’s for the occasional time they’re needed and if the QC gives you most of what you need for other sounds you’re laughing. I’ve no doubt DG could model any filter type pedal to be a reasonable facsimile with the amount of processing power it has - they appear to have a pretty solid approach to updates and listening to their user base. It’s a reason why I’m interested in the ADAM as a stand alone gig pedal. It’s pretty fully featured for my needs. 

• Like 1

Just now, lee650 said:

You love it though 😁

I really do! I'm sort of half serious- if I got a multi FX that did everything just as well as individual pedals it'd be great but there would be a pedal gap in my life that I'd have to fill practicing Bass!

• Haha 3

....new pedal today, EBS Black Haze, sounds marginally different (lower gain) to my MXR Brown Acid. Sounds best to actually be parallel blended with the Brown Acid and add some clean blend - just to make the difference even more marginal!

• Like 2

My pedal board is not as grand as some here.

It was a case that I added an angled plinth under it where the psu sits. The top two effects are vocals obviously.

I mostly used it in the Hawkwind tribute I used to play in before Covid.

Now I rarely use it at all because most of my work does not need it.

SN851641.JPG

• Like 2

I have been fine tuning my pedal board for an 80s alternative / post punk / goth band. From left to right - Bass Clone Chorus, The Mole Pure Boost, Bass Big Muff distortion, Bass Preacher compression and a tuner pedal. Slightly blown away with that Bass Clone. Very Peter Hook / Simon Gallup.

Pedals.jpg.35e6e9937579c75067719c796b7cf4d1.jpg

• Like 3

Here I go again!.. but I am actually really happy with this set up . Needing a small footprint board for live work.. I struggled to find tiny envelope followers, compressors, octavers.. really like the xotic sp comp, does everything I need it to.. I've gone back to boss bass chorus & dod envelope filter.. they just work for me.. amazing what you can fit on a pedaltrain mini! 

IMG_20210913_095753140~2.jpg

• Like 3

8 hours ago, bottomfeed said:

Here I go again!.. but I am actually really happy with this set up . Needing a small footprint board for live work.. I struggled to find tiny envelope followers, compressors, octavers.. really like the xotic sp comp, does everything I need it to.. I've gone back to boss bass chorus & dod envelope filter.. they just work for me.. amazing what you can fit on a pedaltrain mini! 

I do like the Xotic stuff, after trying all sorts I've got an RC and a BB for boost and drive, they are there the ones that work for me in the mix. I'll have to check the SP out.

• Like 2

Latest (and last, for now) upgrade to my wee board. Just picked up the tiny Swiff tuner from @jrixn1 this afternoon, so my trusty old Korg DT-7 is now retired. I might do some cable-tidying work at some point, but for now it will do fine. 

Yes, I know the Zoom has a tuner in it, but I prefer a separate one. :) 

pedalboard 21.jpg

Edited by Rich
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, Rich said:

Latest (and last, for now) upgrade to my wee board. Just picked up the tiny Swiff tuner from @jrixn1 this afternoon, so my trusty old Korg DT-7 is now retired. I might do some cable-tidying work at some point, but for now it will do fine. 

Yes, I know the Zoom has a tuner in it, but I prefer a separate one. :) 

pedalboard 21.jpg

Love that tiny tuner! Is it good? My Polytune Mini is starting to fall apart and makes horrible pops when switching it on and off… (to be fair it an normally out of my main signal and “always on” but it’s for those times I want it to be in the signal chain I need it to be silent….)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Merton said:

Love that tiny tuner! Is it good? 

I'll let you know on Thursday :lol: I haven't tried it yet, tomorrow night's rehearsal is its baptism of fire. It's certainly a lovely wee thing, very solidly made. Almost feels like it's machined from a block of alloy. It appeals to the engineering-nerd in me :lol:

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Rich said:

I'll let you know on Thursday :lol: I haven't tried it yet, tomorrow night's rehearsal is its baptism of fire. It's certainly a lovely wee thing, very solidly made. Almost feels like it's machined from a block of alloy. It appeals to the engineering-nerd in me :lol:

Cheers! I should have read your words more than looking at the pretty picture in your previous post 😅

On 13/09/2021 at 15:20, bottomfeed said:

How do you find the Makbass octaver?  Is it an OC2 clone?

17 hours ago, Merton said:

Love that tiny tuner! Is it good? My Polytune Mini is starting to fall apart and makes horrible pops when switching it on and off… (to be fair it an normally out of my main signal and “always on” but it’s for those times I want it to be in the signal chain I need it to be silent….)

I've been using the swiff tuner for over a year both for recording and more recently, live work.

It does exactly what it's supposed to do, and there have been no extraneous noises when switching.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 14/09/2021 at 20:38, BillyBass said:

How do you find the Makbass octaver?  Is it an OC2 clone?

Not a clone no... (Or maybe it is!)

I was used to using the ebs octabass, which I loved.. & that is a formidable octaver..

oc2 has great tone but have to be careful with tracking.. especially going lower.. the octabass was much more stable, slightly different vibe but worked for me.. markbass raw series octaver, was a bit of a risk.. I wanted something familiar but with a smaller footprint..so bought it because of the online promo, which sounded good.. now, after a couple of years of live use,  I can say that I really like it.

slightly different again,  but very stable and it works for me for what I need.. tiny footprint.. quite versatile for a 2 knob pedal! 🙂.. warm too.. which was what I liked about oc2! 

Markbass raw octaver

Oc2 clone shootout!

Edited by bottomfeed
Add demo
  • Like 2

On 13/09/2021 at 23:45, adamg67 said:

I do like the Xotic stuff, after trying all sorts I've got an RC and a BB for boost and drive, they are there the ones that work for me in the mix. I'll have to check the SP out.

I really like the SP comp... it's transparent but warm.. I only have it in subtle.. but it does the job! 🙂

• Like 3

On 14/09/2021 at 18:47, Merton said:

Used the Swiff tuner last night, it's marvellous. Very fast and stable, appears to be accurate, and has a nice big clear display. Absolutely perfect for my needs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1