Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

Finally got to mount my pedal setup on my new Harley Benton SpaceShip 80 pedal board (the white goo is hot glue used to fix the knob settings on some of the pedals) :

Bass-Pedal-Board-270721-medium.jpg

Which makes the entire signal chain for my "amp-less" setup look like this :

(*pedals listed in [ red/bold/underline text ] are "always on" effects*)

4 string 28,6" scale Ibanez GSRM20 neck + GSRM20B body Mikro Bass (equipped with an EMG Geezer Butler P pickup, wired directly to the output jack socket, and strung with gauge .090 - .072 - .054 - .040 D'Addario XL nickle plated steel core roundwound strings, tuned in F# standard tuning, 2 half steps above regular 4 string bass E standard tuning) ->>

TC Electronic SpectraComp (always on 3 band parallel compression, adding extra punch, snap and bite, but without really affecting my playing dynamics) ->> TC Electronic Sub'N'Up Mini (always on digital polyphonic octaver, used as an 1 octave up effect mixed with clean bass signal, giving an effect similar to that of an 8 string "octave" bass, with pairs of respectively bass and octave strings) ->> Boss LS-2 [A+B Mix <-> Bypass] (always on parallel effect loops mixer/switch) ={ [Loop A Send] ->> Joyo Orange Juice (always on low gain overdrive, really primarily used to enhance harmonic content, [Tone] set at about 11 o'clock, [Voice] set to boost a wide curve around a 800Hz center frequency about +3dB pre gain stage, always mixed with clean {bass+octave up} signal from parallel effects [Loop B]->> [Loop A Return] ->||<-  [Loop B Send] ->> (empty effects loop for clean {bass+octave up} signal blend with Orange Juice in effects [Loop A]) ->> [Loop B Return] ([Loop A] + [Loop B] mixed at an about 50/50 ratio) }=>> Boss LS-2 [A+B Mix <-> Bypass] (parallel effect loops mixer/switch) ={ [Loop A Send] ->> Behringer SF300 Super Fuzz (Boss FZ-2/Univox Super Fuzz clone, octave fuzz, always mixed with clean {bass+octave up} signal from parallel effects [Loop A]) ->> Mosky Black Rat (RAT clone, in Turbo RAT, LED diode clipping, mode, quite raunchy, fuzz-esque, high gain distortion, always used mixed with the Metal Zone distortion in parallel effects [Loop B]) ->> Behringer VP1 Vintage Phaser (EHX Small Stone clone, used in the high feedback and deep sweep mode, always used boosted by the Hotone Trem in front of it, and almost always used mixed with flanger in parallel effects [Loop B]) ->> Hotone Trem (Tremolo with rate and depth at 0, always used to boost the Behringer phaser placed behind it and make it a bit brighter, since it's a few dB above unity gain when engaged and got a tone control) ->> [Loop A Return] ->||<- [Loop B Send] ->> Joyo Orange Juice (lower gain overdrive with a somewhat grindy character, always used either stacked into the Metal Zone in front of it, and then mixed with the Rat distortion in parallel effects [Loop A], or as a dirty slight "clean" boost mixed with clean {bass+octave up} signal from parallel effects [Loop A]) ->> Boss MT-2 Metal Zone (distortion, used with a relatively low gain setting, always used with the Orange Juice behind it stacked into it, and always used mixed with the Rat distortion in parallel effects [Loop A]) ->> Monarch MFL-22 (flanger, most often used mixed with phaser in parallel effects [Loop A]) ->> [Loop B Return] ([Loop A] + [Loop B] mixed at an about 55/45 ratio) }=>> Behringer UT100 Ultra Tremolo (almost always used staked into Valeton chorus in front of it) ->> Valeton Aquaflow Vintage Chorus (Boss CE-1 clone, almost always used with the Behringer tremolo staked into it) ->> Artec SE-EQ8 (always on 8 band graphic equalizer, settings as follows: [Freq=100Hz LoShlv Boost=+1dB ; Freq=170Hz Q=wide Boost=+1dB ; Freq=280Hz Q=narrow Boost=+3dB ; Freq=500Hz Q=narrow Boost=+2dB ; Freq=800Hz Q=narrow Boost=+1dB ; Freq=1.4kHzHz Q=narrow Boost=+2dB ; Freq=2.3kHz Q=wide Boost=+3dB ; Freq=5kHz HiShlv +/- 0dB]) ->> Zoom G1Xon (Always on subtle plate reverb, and additionally used for 4 other reverb patches, which respectively are as follows: Plate Reverb->HD Hall Reverb->Tape Delay, more prominent reverb :-: '63 Spring Reverb->Analog Delay (set to a slapback type delay), lush splashy spring reverb :-: '63 Spring Reverb->Tape Delay (set to a slapback type delay), brighter sounding lush splashy spring reverb :-: Plate Reverb->HD Hall Reverb->Tape Delay, extremely thick lush reverb, used as a reverb pad effect with volume swells) ->> NUX Tape Core Deluxe (Roland Space Echo tape delay emulation) ->> Zoom MS-70CDR (Always on "160 Comp" (emulating a DBX 160A compressor), set to a quite subtle compression -> always on 2 x 2 band parametric EQ : [Freq=63Hz Q=4 Boost=+1dB ; Freq=250Hz Q=4 Boost=+1dB ; Freq=400Hz Q=4 Boost=+1dB ; Freq=1kHz Q=4 Boost=+1dB] -> always on faux, EQ based, cab sim, consisting of a 2 band parametric EQ set as follows: [Freq=12kHz Q=1 Cut=-18dB ; Freq=20kHz Q=0.5 Cut=-20dB], and additionally used for a lush Church reverb that can be switched on/off, which is often used combined with the other reverb effects of the G1Xon) ->> Joyo American Sound (always on clean preamp (gain set to ever so slightly break up when digging in the hardest), a Tech 21 Blonde clone, analog emulation of a Fender type amp, with a wide curve around the center frequency of 400Hz boosted about +3dB, and an about +3dB pre gain stage boost to a wide curve around the center frequency of 800Hz)

->> EHX Black Finger (always on tube driven optical compressor, used primarily as a tube preamp stage) ->> ART Tube MP Project Series (tube preamp, with HPF fixed @40Hz)

// ->> Band rehearsal/jamming/gigging  // ->> Home practice // ->> Home recordings //  : 

// ->> Band rehearsal/jamming/gigging ->>  [Effects Return] (poweramp input) of Peavey Solo Special 112 (160W, solid state guitar combo, with the build in 4 Ohm 12" speaker unit disconnected and instead hooked up to a The Box PA 502 PA speaker) ->> The Box PA 502 (full range PA speaker with 1x 15"  woofer/mids driver + 1.7" high frequency tweeter horn) // ->> Home practice  ->> Behringer Eurorack UB1202 (mixer) ->> Sennheiser HD 380 Pro (headphones) //  ->> Home recordings ->> M-Audio Fast Track (sound interface) ->> Reaper (DAW) //

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 4

On 03/07/2021 at 19:44, adamg67 said:

My search for small but perfectly formed continues, but I've got the first part of my nano board flyrig sorted now: Thumpinator, Pitchblack mini and DG Hyper Luminal all nicely arranged and staying where they are (probably). The left hand side can be the pair that are on there in the pics, or a DG Vintage Microtubes Ultra v2 instead. All battery powered, and the gap where the power on and LEDs are in the middle also lets me break out other pedals if I want something else - there's a line plug underneath for power as well. Getting there.

The plug coming out of the front was a bit of a toss up, but it seems to work fine without getting stood on.

IMG_3648.JPEG.d1101e311d28bbad68a8375253310616.JPEG

IMG_3649.JPEG.7aa67faf753665c70567c64464f097db.JPEG

IMG_3650.thumb.JPEG.80ffead1cb1d36c94e4c7ef205192599.JPEG

@adamg67

What power supply have you got there?

• Like 1

New provisional board. New addition is the Sansamp Bass Driver V2. I had the V1 for over a decade before selling it last year after not using it for years. Picked up the V2 after doing a shoot out with the VT DI, Darkglass B7K Ultra and the Markbass Vintage Pre. Being able to dial in mids at 1k on the V2 is a great addition and I find the V2 to have a great range of gain and overall the sound is a lot more ‘refined’ compared to the V1. I didn’t really like the B7K ultra and thought that the Bass Driver delivered a nicer low gain aggressive tone, though admittedly the B7K nailed it in terms of higher gain stuff.

I was going to ditch the B3K but it sounds tremendous on low gain driving the Alpha Omega which in turn runs through the Sansamp at the end. 

Favourite pedal is my mate’s homemade clone of a Earthquaker Hummingbird (the green one). 

Need to actually Velcro everything down now!

B767BEDF-6774-4905-9272-BDA23AE78FF3.thumb.jpeg.562093e94c49a8609d9373c15400be7b.jpeg

• Like 2

My toys on the pedalboard 

The Tech21 midi with the HX Stomp is fantastic. I’m using the midi for change the presets and the 3 switch’s on the Stomp for snapshot’s to change in each preset. The possibilities are endless. 
The Cali76 is before the Stomp, and the ADAM is in the Fx Loop. 

96DDA1F9-4672-464B-A4B4-6800D9871841.jpeg

• Like 4

On 08/08/2021 at 17:47, fretmeister said:

@adamg67

What power supply have you got there?

It's the Palmer Batpack 8000, not super cheap but it will last all day with those few pedals and not much less if I add a couple more. You can use it while it's charging as well just in case, but when it's charged up I basially don't worry about it even for half day jam sessions, it never even gets down to half. Only two isolated outputs but that's never caused me any issues.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, adamg67 said:

It's the Palmer Batpack 8000, not super cheap but it will last all day with those few pedals and not much less if I add a couple more. You can use it while it's charging as well just in case, but when it's charged up I basially don't worry about it even for half day jam sessions, it never even gets down to half. Only two isolated outputs but that's never caused me any issues.

derrière.

it’s been discontinued.

I've recently decided to simplify and the results have been superb.

I've got rid of most of my pedals and just got a few top quality pedals. 

Boss TU3 Tuner. It just works reliably.

Orange Fur Coat. I never use the octave function but the fuzz is nasty.

Two Notes Le Bass. Really nice warmth to the clean channel, which I'm using as a boost and the dirty channel has a really nice distortion. The fusion setting sounds huge.

The Origin Cali76 CB just does a superb job of keeping levels in check and giving a great tone.

20210814_145155.jpg

• Like 3

I made a baby board.

HB board came from Thomann ready velcro'd and with a bracket and fixings beneath for power supply - and all in a very nice bag.

HB tuner (most excellent) and apart from the Tsakalis Audioworks Phonkify they were all bought second hand for not much cash.

I'd possibly swap the chorus or flanger for a phaser, but all my core sounds are catered for. OCD alert, all pedals need straightening!

IMG_20210814_220553.thumb.jpg.a3ff7f0b102f59dfeee7a96e35789ff0.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, glassmoon said:

Million dollar question... What "extras" did you have to pay for the board now that Brexit has norsed up the EU taxes for us? 

If you're buying new from Thomann, you'll be paying exactly the same Customs and VAT as you had to pre-Brexit, so no drama.

(Very different if you are buying used goods UK <--> EU now, where we do have VAT on imports in both directions that we didn't have before).

Vaccines are a good thing 😉

1 hour ago, glassmoon said:

Million dollar question... What "extras" did you have to pay for the board now that Brexit has norsed up the EU taxes for us? 

Thomman has sorted their VAT payments out now, so there are no other charges, same as some of the other larger EU suppliers, DV24, Bax etc (actually bax never had that problem). Its only small companies and second hand goods from personal providers where there are other costs.