Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

@Al Krow yeah, octave up atm. I need to spend a bit more time and see what else other TonePrints offer. I’ve not tried the Stomp for octave up. I don’t think I’ll use it on a gig, but it’s a fun sound. 
Actually, with that in mind, I’ll make a point to use it later and see what happens 😁

My minimalist bass board. The Radial is on there for those rare doubling gigs and wired so that the DB just goes via the Thumpinator. I’m a recent convert to the Sansamp and I’m loving it!

78E4CD8E-D7E3-4B40-9621-F001E0BCD3C1.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bassist_lewis said:

Three overdrives on one board?? Are you a guitar player?? 😆 Genuine question though, what's the difference between each one?

Phat phuk B for a bit of always-on colour. Very light drive just for a bit of grit. 

BB Pre (in my opinion) is probably one of th

most versatile drives out there, so this covers overdrive and distortion sounds. 

The super russian is a huge fuzz so that's a bit different.

Valve drive from the ABM600 is good on its own but doubles as a booster if a different drive pedal is already on. 

I am going to change things up a bit today or tomorrow.

Essentially: more drive = more good 

Edited by Jonse

2 hours ago, Jonse said:

Phat phuk B for a bit of always-on colour. Very light drive just for a bit of grit. 

BB Pre (in my opinion) is probably one of th

most versatile drives out there, so this covers overdrive and distortion sounds. 

The super russian is a huge fuzz so that's a bit different.

Valve drive from the ABM600 is good on its own but doubles as a booster if a different drive pedal is already on. 

I am going to change things up a bit today or tomorrow.

Essentially: more drive = more good 

I had a BB Pre many years ago and you're right, it's an excellent drive pedal, I regret selling it 😭 

6 hours ago, Jonse said:

BB Pre (in my opinion) is probably one of the most versatile drives out there, so this covers overdrive and distortion sounds...

I was gobsmacked by how good the Xotic BB pre sim sounded on my B1-4. However, it really loses definition with the low notes on my 5 string. I'm guessing that's 'cos it's a cheap and cheerful multifx and that you don't find anything similar happening with the real thing? 

45 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I was gobsmacked by how good the Xotic BB pre sim sounded on my B1-4. However, it really loses definition with the low notes on my 5 string. I'm guessing that's 'cos it's a cheap and cheerful multifx and that you don't find anything similar happening with the real thing? 

I've only used a five string (which I borrowed) once with it but it sounded fine. Again, I used the five string for about 10 minutes so not really long enough to make any real impression. For what it's worth it doesn't give up the ghost when used with an octave, it just gets bigger. 

Mine has an 'Owen Electronic' sticker on the inside so I must get round to messaging them to see if they worked any sonic wizardry. Maybe somebody just put that sticker inside but it really does sound fantastic 😉

PXL_20210728_171812690.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jonse said:

I've only used a five string (which I borrowed) once with it but it sounded fine. Again, I used the five string for about 10 minutes so not really long enough to make any real impression. For what it's worth it doesn't give up the ghost when used with an octave, it just gets bigger. 

Mine has an 'Owen Electronic' sticker on the inside so I must get round to messaging them to see if they worked any sonic wizardry. Maybe somebody just put that sticker inside but it really does sound fantastic 😉

PXL_20210728_171812690.jpg

I wonder if that's my old BB, I had Owen put in a silent bypass gadget. Could the thing next to the footswitch in the pic! Don't think I ever opened it up again so I wouldn't know for sure. Is yours nice and quiet when clicking on and off? Because they thump horridly when stock...

33 minutes ago, AJ567 said:

I wonder if that's my old BB, I had Owen put in a silent bypass gadget. Could the thing next to the footswitch in the pic! Don't think I ever opened it up again so I wouldn't know for sure. Is yours nice and quiet when clicking on and off? Because they thump horridly when stock...

Yeah, I've just been back through my inbox in an attempt to find the listing. It is indeed your pedal and it is silent, yes. 

I had an older wren and cuff phat phuk (not the one in the above picture) which thumped horribly as well. I couldn't stand it but they sound great. My current one (which I think it's the newer and more vibrant pink version) doesn't do that. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Al Krow said:

The real thing is much better than the sim, but I expect you’d find a similar result. It doesn’t have much headroom with high output basses, and there’s no blend of course. I was almost set to sell mine until I discovered how good it sounded with a Kala U-Bass!

• Like 1

I don't know if I ever posted my main pedal board on here but here it is. Dual input with FX loop and tuner out mute courtesy of the Bright Onions looper and all power by the Noble DI. Sounds great, in a 70's funk / soul kind of way if you like that kind of thing :)

224519959_1283199738776239_1206900619492432903_n.jpg.920eae1375986539698272bcbe3ec6dc.jpg

• Like 4

8 hours ago, dodge_bass said:

I don't know if I ever posted my main pedal board on here but here it is. Dual input with FX loop and tuner out mute courtesy of the Bright Onions looper and all power by the Noble DI. Sounds great, in a 70's funk / soul kind of way if you like that kind of thing :)

224519959_1283199738776239_1206900619492432903_n.jpg.920eae1375986539698272bcbe3ec6dc.jpg

I see you’re using rhe bass cut engaged then boost the bass a little on the Noble. That’s where it really shines I think. It just shifts the low end to the sweet spot. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, krispn said:

I see you’re using rhe bass cut engaged then boost the bass a little on the Noble. That’s where it really shines I think. It just shifts the low end to the sweet spot. 

Yeah. Something I’ve been experimenting with recently. Works really well :) 

Edited by dodge_bass

19 hours ago, dodge_bass said:

Lovely! So do you have all of the effects (incl compressor) in the FX loop?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, lee650 said:

Lovely! So do you have all of the effects (incl compressor) in the FX loop?

No. Only the OC2 & Groove Regulator. Without the FX loop the signal chain is bass -> thumpinator -> compressor -> Nobel 

Compressor just operates lightly when playing clean and when FX loop activated it gets pushed a little harder. Thumpinator really clears up bottom end especially when OC2 on and ensures compressor isn’t being pushed too hard. 

Quite a few pedal changes lately, I'm liking this lot:

thumbnail_20210805_142819.thumb.jpg.175e416375f62c4e2b9e1fd0f4a9c2c5.jpg

• Switchblade Pro: Very useful -  great if you've got a pedal with volume drops or needs a clean blend, or want to engage more than one pedal at once or bypass them completely when not in use, or want to change the order of pedals, or run pedals in parallel, or boost your clean signal...or probably more I can't think of right now! 
    • Loop A: 
      • Robotalk 2 - only got it today but first impressions are it's really good. 2x envelope filters in one and each channel has more control than a lot of singe envelope filter pedals have.
      • EBS DPhaser - the best Phaser I've owned, lots of control (and quite a few internally adjustable controls) and lots of usable funky sounds.
      • MXR Brown Acid Fuzz - my favourite fuzz.
    • Loop B: 
      • Zoom B1 Four - only recently got this but so far I'm impressed, it's good value for money even if just using for Tuner + EQ + Chorus (the main things I wanted it for) but also includes Preamps, Looper, Drum loops,  and FX like delay that I don't use often enough to need separate pedals for. Being in a Loop B of the Switchblade Pro means I can do things like use the Zoom for EQ ahead of pedals in Loop A, or use it after Loop A pedals to do things like add delay).
  • VT Bass  - Good tones and 6x presets to add the final stage of EQ or overdrive. I bypass it if using things ahead of it that I want completely unaffected (like the MXR Fuzz or some Zoom preamp settings), I'm not using the VT FX loop because if you bypass the VT presets it also bypasses the FX loop. I like the VT Deluxe but I think I might replace it with separate pedals to give more flexibility and to have a DI after the compressor: A dedicated foot-switchable programmable EQ (a Source Audio EQ v1 was for sale 2nd hand for £80), dedicated simple Preamp/Overdrive pedals (like the One Control pedals or the Solid Gold FX Beta which I already have but has been sidelined due to boardspace), and a simple utility type non-preamp DI after the Compressor. 
  • FEA Opti-FET Compressor - the best compressor I've used, footswitchable sidechain is great. I put it at the end of the chain as it adds a subtle bit of tone enhancing that gets lost if other things are after it.

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 5

My two compact PBs, main board and 'psycho synth' smaller board. Both powered by HB IsoPro PSUs (a 5 and a 12) with a Thumpinator hpf also sitting under the larger board. Currently just using one of the Zoom B1-4s for gigging, which provides me with tuner, BK7 dirt, chorus, tape echo and Z-Synth in one very handy 'micro board' which can easily slip into my gig bag.

PB - 2108 .jpg

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 8

15 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

My two compact PBs, main board and 'psycho synth' smaller board. Both powered by HB IsoPro PSUs (a 5 and a 12) with a Thumpinator hpf also sitting under the larger board. Currently just using one of the Zoom B1-4s for gigging, which provides me with tuner, BK7 dirt, chorus, tape echo and Z-Synth in one very handy 'micro board' which can easily slip into my gig bag.

PB - 2108 .jpg

Very tidy 👌

• Thanks 1