Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

18 minutes ago, dand666 said:

So Amp to the GLXD  to Comp to the TH Pedal? 

Bass - wireless - compressor - TH - amp.

Unless you are running the effects into the effects loop of your amp in which case wireless into amp  comp & TH into effects loop but I’m guessing you are going straight into the main input of your amp. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dand666 said:

So Amp to the GLXD  to Comp to the TH Pedal? 

Remember the arrows (GLXD->  compressor-> TH) mean "the output of 'X' goes to the input of 'Y', and so forth" as opposed to looking at the actual pedals. Your signal chain will usually run from right to left (pedal input is usually on the right of the pedal).

So in this instance you would connect the output of the wireless unit to the input of the compressor, output of the compressor into the input of the preamp, then output of the preamp to your amp input. All you are doing is placing a device (or a few devices) between your bass and amp. Think of it like a flow chart. The output of one, is what the input of the next device receives.

Edited by Higgie
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, dand666 said:

Hi Guys,

Question on a signal path for you. So new to pedals it's crazy. So I have a Aguilar TH, a Cali76 Compressor and a Shure GLXD wireless unit.

What would be the chain? The wireless unit is throwing me off lol

My logic is:

1. Input (patch bay, wireless, etc.).
  2. Compressor.
  3. Signal generators (Synth, Octave, etc.).
  4. Distortion.
  5. Modulation (Phaser, Flanger, Chorus, Tremolo).
  6. Echo (Reverb, Echo, Looper, etc.).

If you're using a preamp with an Fx loop, then pre- or post- eq is your choice; it depends whether you are looking to define the sound of the bass or the whole chain.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, prowla said:

My logic is:

1. Input (patch bay, wireless, etc.).
  2. Compressor.
  3. Signal generators (Synth, Octave, etc.).
  4. Distortion.
  5. Modulation (Phaser, Flanger, Chorus, Tremolo).
  6. Echo (Reverb, Echo, Looper, etc.).

If you're using a preamp with an Fx loop, then pre- or post- eq is your choice; it depends whether you are looking to define the sound of the bass or the whole chain.

This recipe is certainly the ‘norm’, but there are always exceptions and importantly there are no ‘wrongs’.

For example, synth pedals often sound better after distortion pedals.

Filters sound very different before and after both distortion and modulation so it depends on what you’re after.

In a traditional synth bass setting where you create sounds by using Octave > Distortion > Filter, it’s common to place the compressor last in the chain, not first. This allows it to act as a limiter and it works to increase output consistency, much more like a keyboard synth. This is how I typically use compression.

Whammys and pitchshifters usually go first in the chain for tracking as they sound most natural there, however, if you’re going for synth bass tone, pitch shifters will normally go along side modulation as the deliberately unnatural sound to pitch swells makes it sound even more synthesised.

There are of course many more... but what I’m trying to say is, there are no specific rules. Always try everything in every position to see what works for you. It’s too easy to get trapped into what is considered the ‘norm’, but often it’s not the most optimal.

• Like 2

I second that. I was going to add that if the TH is responsive to touch (not used on) you might want it before the comp so that you can get a bit more grit when you dig in. But if you want it to be consistent put it after. As already said try it both ways. 

• Like 1

Absolutely this. If I had the cash and the pedalboard space, personally I’d have a Keeley Bassist at the start of the chain, and engage as needed to tame peaks in dry sound or squash the sound to work with downstream effects, AND I’d put another at the end of the chain as a limiter.

But I’ve settled for one at the end always on at around 4:1. Means the worst excesses of my synth sounds are tamed before hitting the amp.

Play around with the order is the best bet here

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pantherairsoft said:

This recipe is certainly the ‘norm’, but there are always exceptions and importantly there are no ‘wrongs’.

For example, synth pedals often sound better after distortion pedals.

Filters sound very different before and after both distortion and modulation so it depends on what you’re after.

In a traditional synth bass setting where you create sounds by using Octave > Distortion > Filter, it’s common to place the compressor last in the chain, not first. This allows it to act as a limiter and it works to increase output consistency, much more like a keyboard synth. This is how I typically use compression.

Whammys and pitchshifters usually go first in the chain for tracking as they sound most natural there, however, if you’re going for synth bass tone, pitch shifters will normally go along side modulation as the deliberately unnatural sound to pitch swells makes it sound even more synthesised.

There are of course many more... but what I’m trying to say is, there are no specific rules. Always try everything in every position to see what works for you. It’s too easy to get trapped into what is considered the ‘norm’, but often it’s not the most optimal.

Yep - there is no universal rule, of course.

If you get an intelligent loop switcher pedal (like one of the Gigrig creations) then you can mix and match at the press of a button.

My logic for compressor before synth pedal is to condition the sound for the pedal's input, but it does depend on the bass you are playing.

I also view the synth as a sound generator, not shaper; ie an instrument in itself, so that's why 'd put it near the start.

I wouldn't tend to put a distortion before the synth, because the synth would then have to track it and essentially strip the sound back to process it.

Different players may get a "sound" by juxtaposing the order, which is all part of the fun of it.

And yes, the pitchy things would be near the front in my model.

• Like 2

I'd say that anything that tracks the signal ie octaves, pitch stuff and synths is best near the start and agree can benefit from a comp in front. I would alway go for a comp with a blend so you can keep some dynamics while balancing the rest and blend to taste. 

1 hour ago, Hugsonic said:

I'd say that anything that tracks the signal ie octaves, pitch stuff and synths is best near the start and agree can benefit from a comp in front. I would alway go for a comp with a blend so you can keep some dynamics while balancing the rest and blend to taste. 

Given that I rarely play 'normal' bass and spend my time creating synth overtones and ambient soundscapes, octave down effects always go first (to be fair, that's one thing that almost always has no place being anywhere else), but pitchshifters like whammy's are always much farther along, typically alongside modulation. Polyphonic pitch shifters don't struggle to track in the same way as many classic octave effects and using a whammy-like effect after your dirt and filters sounds WAY more synth-like than shifting the pitch of the input signal to dirt pedals and the like. In many ways, then become an EQ control to enhance the synth-like nature of the tone.

I rarely use compressors at all these days, but when I do, your point about the blend is sooooooooooooo important. The difference that makes to the overall dynamics can't be understated.

• Like 2

p_july2021.thumb.jpg.3ddaac82946d325fe1315b7e656af6e2.jpg

Comp is always on and set for more aggressive attack on every note I play rather than leveling out dynamics. Le Bass is always on and I use its fusion mode for valve overdrive tone. Pitchfork is either used as a polyphonic octaver or chorus. Giygas does mild/more mellow fuzz, Plasma Coil makes your rig sound like its broken I LOVE IT!

Edited by DiMarco
  • Like 2

Have to say, grabbing an ES-5 has been wonderful.  Something quite glorious about not having to worry about where a pedal goes on your pedalboard, or playing the endless cable roundabout testing various orders.

• Like 2

Was checking how well the Mesa V-Twin guitar pre works with bass when adding a dry/wet blender. HOLY COW! Definitely building a board around this.
It completely swipes the floor with any dedicated bass overdrive I have heard so far.

image.thumb.png.4e5835875ac5d12a7f070f0dde63628a.png

15 hours ago, DiMarco said:

Was checking how well the Mesa V-Twin guitar pre works with bass when adding a dry/wet blender. HOLY COW! Definitely building a board around this.
It completely swipes the floor with any dedicated bass overdrive I have heard so far.

image.thumb.png.4e5835875ac5d12a7f070f0dde63628a.png

Ben Shepherd from Soundgarden uses or used one of these Mesa pedals for years.

I used a Bottle Rocket for years, loved it but far too large a footprint and didn't do enough that non-valve pedals didn't already do.  Can't say I've tried one of those, looks even bigger!  What valves are you running?

20 hours ago, Kev said:

I used a Bottle Rocket for years, loved it but far too large a footprint and didn't do enough that non-valve pedals didn't already do.  Can't say I've tried one of those, looks even bigger!  What valves are you running?

Mesa 7025 STR 12AX7A ECC83 in there currently. I got it with those.

I compared it directly with my dirtboxes, and also with the valve overdrive in the Two Notes Le Bass.
The Le Bass is the only thing that comes close, but the preamp section in that also heavily colours your tone.

If I want to hear my amp (Hexa Valve) without external colouration, but with a real valve OD the V-Twin is a great option.
I can not really explain why I think it sounds better - it is more or less a 'feel' thing mostly I guess. The response is different from my other dirtboxes.

I've been on a rampage over the last couple of weeks to get my set up well refined and nail down to pedals that really gel with the overall sound of the new project I'm working on. I've pretty much auditioned three pedals for every space on the board and made more signal chain tweaks than I can count.

Finally, I'm happy with the set up. So much so that I have pledged to myself that I won't buy another pedal for at least 6 months... I'm going to work this set up hard!

IMG_3681.thumb.jpg.df3f5d1a5960056be7e7df80cce42233.jpg

IMG_3682.thumb.jpg.f3d3c217a69995ff2e5a65a834e8ff53.jpg

IMG_3683.thumb.jpg.32c25f99b3ed39d0e7da5fb4d7ffab30.jpg

For those of you interested in such things, here is the signal chain being used (note, this is for some ambient, synth textures)...

• Input -> Boss OC-5 Octave ->
  • Dr. Scientist Frazz Dazzler ->
  • Darkglass Alpha Omicron ->
  • Red Panda Bitmap 2 ->
  • Bananana Matryoshka ->
  • Wampler Terraform ->
  • Iron Ether Xerograph Deluxe (+ Moog EP-3 Expression Pedal) ->
  • Digitech Whammy Ricochet ->
  • Source Audio Nemesis Delay ->
  • Source Audio Collider Delay + Reverb ->
  • TC Electronics Polytune 2 Mini -> Output

Everything is powered by a Cioks DC7 (which hasn't even hit the 40% load light yet - what a power supply!) and cabled with EBS gold flat patch cables. The Bananana Matryoshka was originally on the chopping block, but I had space for a mini pedal without ruining the ergonomics of things. Originally, this was being used exclusively as a bit crusher (before the Bitmap 2 came along), but it's worth keeping here for the Arp and LFO settings, which allow for layering some nice textures and soundscapes. I have a pile of pedals to move on now to recoup some costs!

I'm super happy with this set up. Endless creative options and everything plays really well with each other.

Edited by pantherairsoft
  • Like 9
  • Haha 1

Oo, talk me through the Collider and Nemesis combo?  Would have thought the Ventris would be a more obvious choice to pair with the Nemesis, if the Collider wasn't enough alone?

Killer board though buddy!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, pantherairsoft said:

I've been on a rampage over the last couple of weeks to get my set up well refined and nail down to pedals that really gel with the overall sound of the new project I'm working on. I've pretty much auditioned three pedals for every space on the board and made more signal chain tweaks than I can count.

Finally, I'm happy with the set up. So much so that I have pledged to myself that I won't buy another pedal for at least 6 months... I'm going to work this set up hard!

IMG_3681.thumb.jpg.df3f5d1a5960056be7e7df80cce42233.jpg

IMG_3682.thumb.jpg.f3d3c217a69995ff2e5a65a834e8ff53.jpg

IMG_3683.thumb.jpg.32c25f99b3ed39d0e7da5fb4d7ffab30.jpg

For those of you interested in such things, here is the signal chain being used (note, this is for some ambient, synth textures)...

• Input -> Boss OC-5 Octave ->
  • Dr. Scientist Frazz Dazzler ->
  • Darkglass Alpha Omicron ->
  • Red Panda Bitmap 2 ->
  • Bananana Matryoshka ->
  • Wampler Terraform ->
  • Iron Ether Xerograph Deluxe (+ Moog EP-3 Expression Pedal) ->
  • Digitech Whammy Ricochet ->
  • Source Audio Nemesis Delay ->
  • Source Audio Collider Delay + Reverb ->
  • TC Electronics Polytune 2 Mini -> Output

Everything is powered by a Cioks DC7 (which hasn't even hit the 40% load light yet - what a power supply!) and cabled with EBS gold flat patch cables. The Bananana Matryoshka was originally on the chopping block, but I had space for a mini pedal without ruining the ergonomics of things. Originally, this was being used exclusively as a bit crusher (before the Bitmap 2 came along), but it's worth keeping here for the Arp and LFO settings, which allow for layering some nice textures and soundscapes. I have a pile of pedals to move on now to recoup some costs!

I'm super happy with this set up. Endless creative options and everything plays really well with each other.

Awesome board 😁

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Kev said:

Oo, talk me through the Collider and Nemesis combo?  Would have thought the Ventris would be a more obvious choice to pair with the Nemesis, if the Collider wasn't enough alone?

Killer board though buddy!

Actually the Nemesis came first. One thing I really love is stacking delays - it makes for very complex and beautiful textures. I was using a Flashback as the 2nd delay and a Neunaber Immerse as my reverb (which is actually far nicer than the Collider as a stand alone reverb). In the interests of trying to condense things and work with more planned functionality, the Collider offered a solid replacement for both, with some additional signal routing options and little flourishes that make it quite nice.

The Ventris is overkill for my reverb needs and if I was to stick with a standalone, the Immerse would stay without a doubt. But yeah, the overall point was to have two delay pedals in series and as I love the Nemesis tone, this made sense.

7 minutes ago, lee650 said:

Awesome board 😁

Thanks!

… yet another reshuffle of the Nano Max. I’ve taken off two larger pedals, a Markbass Compressore and a Cog Custom Dirtbox. In their place I have put a MXR Carbon Copy (love these), a TC Electronic Mojo Mojo, a Boss OC2 and finally a Seymour Duncan Studio Bass Compressor. I’ve also switched from the normal Evidence Audio SIS cables to some Squareplug/Mogami cables. These are quicker, have a slimmer width and tbh are a bit easier to work with as I seem to be changing so much. I guess we’ll see how long this setup lasts then 😁

50F65305-93A8-4E09-9A0D-30F9E7EC7FA9.thumb.jpeg.8ff891b8c9498a3be4a32d7ace3e9bfc.jpeg

Edited by jimbobothy
  • Like 3

On 09/03/2021 at 18:54, meercatzbass said:

Hey folks!

Here is my current (since 2017) board. Planning to make another one (a smaller one from the other pedals in the picture, but maybe keeping the Basswitch IQ DI as a separate stand alone so that I can continue to use it with both the original board as well as with the new one). Still waiting for the 3leaf audio Doom2 pedal to arrive. I am also thinking of re-making the original one to a smaller one. Let's see how this turns out :D

IMG_6359.thumb.JPG.5f3d45e159048fa0fbf89e2c18c74957.JPG

IMG_6360.thumb.JPG.d83dc7fcdbdcc555600ebad95dbed5f6.JPG

My new mini board in progress...

IMG_7026.thumb.JPG.31fabbf60a6227a36603aebde04619c6.JPG

IMG_7028.thumb.JPG.061a7b5fad36f176bdab5aacb0845d03.JPG

• Like 8