Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

6 hours ago, Al Krow said:

@Salt on your Bass? how do you rate the MBD2 compared to previous drives you've had?

I really like it. I tend to live in the higher end of drive distortion to fuzz most of the time. The clean blend on this sounds really nice (it's a fully integrated sound where many I feel you can hear a split in signal...buzz over the top) - I think Dunwich amps helped in the design - and there is spades and spades of low end available. It can go from light drive to fuzz, but I think it shines on heavy overdrive/ distortion territory. There's some great shaping ability with gain boost and low end saturation.

Previous drives that I liked and had for a long period include the mountainking megalith, cog tarkin. So I'm not in to the light drive camp as my amp does that duty. I've flipped a load of other fuzzes and distortions but I think this will stay for a good while on my board.

Jeff Matz used one on a high on fire record with his verellen, but I think it has broad scope for a plethora of styles and tones. 

• Like 1

On 04/07/2021 at 13:06, jimbobothy said:

… you have a gap, have you decided what can go there yet 😁

That's why I'd like a smaller board....to stop that kinda talk!! 😂

....but there's always a cab SIM/DI or put the freeze back on for a laugh.... 

Edited by Salt on your Bass?
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, garyt said:

Are those your normal settings on the Hyper Luminal?

I have the blend and time about 2 o’clock, level to suit, compression at noon.  Ratio on 2 or 3.  SYM.  
but I can’t stop playing with it, as this pedal has so much variety.  Sort of tempted by the FET ‘all-in’ setting. 

They're rough and ready settings, I still need to have a proper session to get it properly dialled in. I do remember liking the FET mode last time I played with it though. 

I'll try and remember to post what I end up with.

A new, relaxed and simplified layout for my pedalboard with about 40% of the pedals removed. Not sure many gigs will need the HM2,  but it's a position where I can easily drop in either a modulation pedal or my tube screamer clone.

image.png.72041f8bffddc92871dfb684e9d028f7.png

Might swap over the gumpinator and the XVI without changing the order.

Plenty of room to add back my loop switcher if needed.

• Like 1

The Hyperdrive into the B3k.... Easily the best drive sound ive ever had (ive had so so many), they were totally made for each other.the hyperdrive just does something magic to the clean lows and with having just the mids driven... Alongside the darkglass makes it so articulate and punchy. The ashdown doesnt do much played alone.... But wow i highly recommended the two together .

Now if someone in the DIY section could make me one in a smaller box version (without the silly vu meter) 👌IMG_20210705_133018_edit_2580509587105.thumb.jpg.642169f6e85a0ff38837aaaaba34d3ac.jpg

Edited by danbowskill
  • Like 1

Here we go. Very nearly, or perhaps actually, there.

IMG_20210705_230445.thumb.jpg.0d70c60154dbe1b40a885f4618423712.jpg

Just finished wiring it up after using it on Saturday. Can't choose between the MXR and the Fwonkbeta so I'll have both. No compression because the amps do that pretty well. The Behringer OD is simply the best for an always on bit of dirt that I've found, and the Joyo boost kicks it up when I need real filth. Everything is in the loop of the SY-1 so the synth is unaffected by the rest.

The Mr Black phaser edged out the competition from Behringer and Fender.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, dand666 said:

Best patch leads to get? Ideally nice and thin but not too pricey. 

I used to be all about the Lava Cables and George L's, but I've moved over to EBS flat patch (gold version, but I'm sure the regular are fine). Personally, I'm super impressed with them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

talking about cables, has anyone tried the fixed "coupler" type pedal connectors like these?  i'm imagining they're probably really annoying when the connectors don't quite line up properly (which a couple of the reviews mentioned), but i'm tempted to get some to try.

4 minutes ago, Witch Hazel said:

talking about cables, has anyone tried the fixed "coupler" type pedal connectors like these?  i'm imagining they're probably really annoying when the connectors don't quite line up properly (which a couple of the reviews mentioned), but i'm tempted to get some to try.

These are notoriously bad for your jack sockets as it forces pedals to bend and flex against each other and the weight of the plug. With a cable, when pressure is applied to a pedal and it slightly moves, the cable prevents anything else from moving with it. With a coupler, that force is directly applied to the jack sockets of the connected pedals.

I’ve heard nothing but bad things about them, though I admit, I’ve never tried them myself (on account of them historically being considered a poor choice).

Edited by pantherairsoft
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, pantherairsoft said:

These are notoriously bad for your jack sockets as it forces pedals to bend and flex against each other and the weight of the plug.

oh, that makes a lot of sense.  i'll give those a miss then, thanks!

• Like 1

and in the spirit of the thread, here's my rather meagre pedalboard (with EBS cables):

1395588406_20210706_211347205_iOS(2).thumb.jpg.57e93f5e613d729cc025463fa5154777.jpg

as you can probably tell it's a bit of a work in progress!  i've got a fair number of things planned to add, hence the oversized board.  (i bought the board, a Pedaltrain Classic 1, with the "soft case" option thinking it would be some sort of padded gig bag type thing - imagine my surprise when the case turned out to be an actual suitcase.  no complaints though, i'm pretty sure it'll keep everything safe.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Witch Hazel said:

About thirty years ago, I still have a couple. The offset ones line up fine.

Where they fall down is if you use them to create a line of free-standing pedals so easy to pull one out, damage a connection or bend a plug.

Might work better with pedalboards.

6 hours ago, hemdee666 said:

Minimalistic pedal board. Since I got a TE RAH400SMX, no need for anything else. This does all I want it to do (for now…) Grtz, Marc. 

5F037B84-FA83-4CC0-A84A-D09151B9D257.jpeg

What does a vitalizer do?

PS. Love the minimalism

• Thanks 1

Hi @stewblack, a vitaliser is just a buffered  signal input/output to solve signal loss or noise issues. And it makes my sound more…  my sound, but fatter, rounder, more define. Nice piece of kit. It’s difficult to explain otherwise. Hope this  is useful…. Grtz, Marc. 

• Thanks 1

My latest iteration...

8oZObHi.jpg

The signal path is Microbass 3 Fx loop to QM6.

QM6 loops::

1. C4 (I may put a TC compressor in front of the C4, to calm down my Ric's clatter and things; it'll fit in the gap above the DMC MIDI switch there).
  2. DHA.
  3. Phaser & Chorus.
  4. Flashback.
  5. Unused (it's an unused on/off control switch, not a loop).
  6. Ditto.

The C4 has replaced Octave Up (EH Mosaic) & Down (EBS Octabass) pedals, but I need to program it yet.

Edited by prowla
  • Like 2

Hi Guys,

Question on a signal path for you. So new to pedals it's crazy. So I have a Aguilar TH, a Cali76 Compressor and a Shure GLXD wireless unit.

What would be the chain? The wireless unit is throwing me off lol

Edited by dand666

6 minutes ago, dand666 said:

Hi Guys,

Question on a signal path for you. So new to pedals it's crazy. So I have a Aguilar TH, a Cali76 Compressor and a Shure GLXD wireless unit.

What would be the chain? The wireless unit is throwing me off lol

I’m guessing the TH is the pedal and not the amp? 

GLXD->  compressor-> TH

• Like 3