Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

Here's my new pedal board, a Harley Benton Spaceship 80 board, that I haven't got around wiring and attaching my pedals to yet, but here they are sitting on the new board as I plan to arrange them (Count on possibly getting it done later today. Also the white goo on some of the knobs is hot glue applied to fixate the settings. Also got a lot of comments on how dirty my pedals seems to be when I posted this picture on TalkBass 9_9, so just to get that out of the way: Yes, I stomp on them with my shoes on at band rehearsal, I don't plan to use them as dinner plates, and tend to use my ears when playing music, not my eyes, beside the way that I edited the photo after I shot it to make it look more clear and crisp apparently had the side effect of enhancing the dirt as well, making it look much worse than it really is) :

Bass-Pedal-Board-100621-Finish-666999-sm

My entire signal chain explained in written form :

(*pedals listed in [ red/bold/underline text ] are "always on" effects*)

4 string 28,6" scale Ibanez GSRM20 neck + GSRM20B body Mikro Bass (equipped with an EMG Geezer Butler P pickup, wired directly to the output jack socket, and strung with gauge .090 - .072 - .054 - .040 D'Addario XL nickle plated steel core roundwound strings, tuned in F# standard tuning, 2 half steps above regular 4 string bass E standard tuning) ->>

TC Electronic SpectraComp (always on 3 band parallel compression, adding extra punch, snap and bite, but without really affecting my playing dynamics) ->> TC Electronic Sub'N'Up Mini (always on digital polyphonic octaver, used as an 1 octave up effect mixed with clean bass signal, giving an effect similar to that of an 8 string "octave" bass, with pairs of respectively bass and octave strings) ->> Boss LS-2 [A+B Mix <-> Bypass] (always on, parallel effect loops mixer/switch) ={ [Loop A Send] ->> Joyo Orange Juice (always on low gain overdrive, really primarily used to enhance harmonic content, [Tone] set at about 11 o'clock, [Voice] set to boost a wide curve around a 800Hz center frequency about +3dB pre gain stage, always mixed with clean {bass+octave up} signal from parallel effects [Loop B]->> [Loop A Return] ->||<- [Loop B Send] ->> (empty effects loop for clean {bass+octave up} signal blend with Orange Juice in effects [Loop A]) ->> [Loop B Return] ([Loop A] + [Loop B] mixed at an about 50/50 ratio) }=>> Boss LS-2 [A+B Mix <-> Bypass] (parallel effect loops mixer/switch) ={ [Loop A Send] ->> Behringer SF300 Super Fuzz (Boss FZ-2/Univox Super Fuzz clone, octave fuzz, always mixed with clean {bass+octave up} signal from parallel effects [Loop B]) ->> Joyo Orange Juice (lower medium gain grindy kind of overdrive, always used either stacked into the Metal Zone in front of it, and mixed with the Rat distortion in parallel effects [Loop B], or as a dirty slight "clean" boost mixed with clean {bass+octave up} signal from parallel effects [Loop B]) ->> Boss MT-2 Metal Zone (distortion, used with a relatively low gain setting, always used with the Orange Juice behind it stacked into it, and always used mixed with the Rat distortion in parallel effects [Loop B]) ->> Behringer VP1 Vintage Phaser (EHX Small Stone clone, used in the high feedback and deep sweep mode, always used boosted by the Hotone Trem in front of it, and almost always used mixed with flanger in parallel effects [Loop B]) ->> Hotone Trem (Tremolo with rate and depth at 0, always used to boost either the Behringer phaser placed behind it and make it a bit brighter, since it's a few dB above unity gain when engaged and got a tone control) ->> [Loop A Return] ->||<- [Loop B Send] ->> Mosky Black Rat (RAT clone, in Turbo RAT, LED diode clipping, mode, quite raunchy, fuzz-esque, high gain distortion, always used mixed with the Metal Zone distortion in parallel effects [Loop A]) ->> Monarch MFL-22 (flanger, most often used mixed with phaser in parallel effects [Loop A]) ->> [Loop B Return] ([Loop A] + [Loop B] mixed at an about 55/45 ratio) }=>> Behringer UT100 Ultra Tremolo (almost always used staked into Valeton chorus in front of it) ->> Valeton Aquaflow Vintage Chorus (Boss CE-1 clone, almost always used with the tremolo staked into it) ->> Artec SE-EQ8 (always on 8 band graphic equalizer, settings as follows: [Freq=100Hz LoShlv Boost=+1dB ; Freq=170Hz Q=wide Boost=+1dB ; Freq=280Hz Q=narrow Boost=+3dB ; Freq=500Hz Q=narrow Boost=+2dB ; Freq=800Hz Q=narrow Boost=+1dB ; Freq=1.4kHzHz Q=narrow Boost=+2dB ; Freq=2.3kHz Q=wide Boost=+3dB ; Freq=5kHz HiShlv Cut=-10dB]) ->> Zoom G1Xon (Always on "160 Comp" (emulating a DBX 160A compressor) set to a quite subtle compression, and additionally used for 2 reverb patches, which respectively are as follows: Plate Reverb->HD Hall Reverb->Tape Delay, prominent reverb patch :-: Plate Reverb->HD Hall Reverb->Tape Delay, extremely thick lush reverb patch, used as a reverb pad effect with volume swells) ->> NUX Tape Core Deluxe (Roland Space Echo tape delay emulation) ->> Zoom MS-70CDR (always on 2 x 2 band parametric EQ : [Freq=63Hz Q=4 Boost=+1dB ; Freq=200Hz Q=4 Boost=+1dB ; Freq=400Hz Q=2 Boost=+1dB ; Freq=1kHz Q=4 Boost=+1dB] ->> subtle plate reverb ->> and faux, EQ based, cab sim, consisting of a 2 band parametric EQ set as follows: [Freq=12kHz Q=1 Cut=-18dB ; Freq=20kHz Q=0.5 Cut=-20dB], and additionally used for a lush Church reverb that can be switched on/off)

->> Band rehearsal/jamming/gigging  // ->> Home practice / Home recordings  :

->> Joyo American Sound (always on clean preamp (gain set to ever so slightly break up when digging in the hardest), a Tech 21 Blonde clone, analog emulation of a Fender type amp, with a wide curve around the center frequency of 400Hz boosted about +3dB, and an about +3dB pre gain stage boost to wide curve around the center frequency of 800Hz) // ->> Band rehearsal/jamming/gigging ->>  [Effects Return] (poweramp input) of Peavey Solo Special 112 (160W, solid state guitar combo, with the build in 4 Ohm 12" speaker unit disconnected and instead hooked up to a The Box PA 502 PA speaker) ->> The Box PA 502 (full range PA speaker with 1x 15" + 1.7" high frequency tweeter horn)  // ->> Home practice / Home recordings  ->> Behringer Eurorack UB1202 (mixer) ->> ->> Sennheiser HD 380 Pro (headphones) ]/[ ->> Behringer Tube Ultragain MIC100 (tube preamp) ->> M-Audio Fast Track (sound interface) ->> Reaper (DAW) ]

I use this setup for the musical project that currently has my main focus, a bass/vocals and drums/vocals duo that in lack of a better genre definition can be categorized as something like progressive psychedelic stoner/doom rock.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

On 11/06/2021 at 13:55, Baloney Balderdash said:
Here's my new pedal board, a Harley Benton Spaceship 80 board, that I haven't got around wiring and attaching my pedals to yet, but here they are sitting on the new board as I plan to arrange them (Count on possibly getting it done later today. Also the white goo on some of the knobs is hot glue applied to fixate the settings. Also got a lot of comments on how dirty my pedals seems to be when I posted this picture on TalkBass 9_9, so just to get that out of the way: Yes, I stomp on them with my shoes on at band rehearsal, I don't plan to use them as dinner plates, and tend to use my ears when playing music, not my eyes, beside the way that I edited the photo after I shot it to make it look more clear and crisp apparently had the side effect of enhancing the dirt as well, making it look much worse than it really is) :

Bass-Pedal-Board-100621-Finish-666999-sm

My entire signal chain explained in written form :

(*pedals listed in [ red/bold/underline text ] are "always on" effects*)

4 string 28,6" scale Ibanez GSRM20 neck + GSRM20B body Mikro Bass (equipped with an EMG Geezer Butler P pickup, wired directly to the output jack socket, and strung with gauge .090 - .072 - .054 - .040 D'Addario XL nickle plated steel core roundwound strings, tuned in F# standard tuning, 2 half steps above regular 4 string bass E standard tuning) ->>

TC Electronic SpectraComp (always on 3 band parallel compression, adding extra punch, snap and bite, but without really affecting my playing dynamics) ->> TC Electronic Sub'N'Up Mini (always on digital polyphonic octaver, used as an 1 octave up effect mixed with clean bass signal, giving an effect similar to that of an 8 string "octave" bass, with pairs of respectively bass and octave strings) ->> Boss LS-2 [A+B Mix <-> Bypass] (always on, parallel effect loops mixer/switch) ={ [Loop A Send] ->> Joyo Orange Juice (always on low gain overdrive, really primarily used to enhance harmonic content, [Tone] set at about 11 o'clock, [Voice] set to boost a wide curve around a 800Hz center frequency about +3dB pre gain stage, always mixed with clean {bass+octave up} signal from parallel effects [Loop B]->> [Loop A Return] ->||<- [Loop B Send] ->> (empty effects loop for clean {bass+octave up} signal blend with Orange Juice in effects [Loop A]) ->> [Loop B Return] ([Loop A] + [Loop B] mixed at an about 50/50 ratio) }=>> Boss LS-2 [A+B Mix <-> Bypass] (parallel effect loops mixer/switch) ={ [Loop A Send] ->> Behringer SF300 Super Fuzz (Boss FZ-2/Univox Super Fuzz clone, octave fuzz, always mixed with clean {bass+octave up} signal from parallel effects [Loop B]) ->> Joyo Orange Juice (lower medium gain grindy kind of overdrive, always used either stacked into the Metal Zone in front of it, and mixed with the Rat distortion in parallel effects [Loop B], or as a dirty slight "clean" boost mixed with clean {bass+octave up} signal from parallel effects [Loop B]) ->> Boss MT-2 Metal Zone (distortion, used with a relatively low gain setting, always used with the Orange Juice behind it stacked into it, and always used mixed with the Rat distortion in parallel effects [Loop B]) ->> Behringer VP1 Vintage Phaser (EHX Small Stone clone, used in the high feedback and deep sweep mode, always used boosted by the Hotone Trem in front of it, and almost always used mixed with flanger in parallel effects [Loop B]) ->> Hotone Trem (Tremolo with rate and depth at 0, always used to boost either the Behringer phaser placed behind it and make it a bit brighter, since it's a few dB above unity gain when engaged and got a tone control) ->> [Loop A Return] ->||<- [Loop B Send] ->> Mosky Black Rat (RAT clone, in Turbo RAT, LED diode clipping, mode, quite raunchy, fuzz-esque, high gain distortion, always used mixed with the Metal Zone distortion in parallel effects [Loop A]) ->> Monarch MFL-22 (flanger, most often used mixed with phaser in parallel effects [Loop A]) ->> [Loop B Return] ([Loop A] + [Loop B] mixed at an about 55/45 ratio) }=>> Behringer UT100 Ultra Tremolo (almost always used staked into Valeton chorus in front of it) ->> Valeton Aquaflow Vintage Chorus (Boss CE-1 clone, almost always used with the tremolo staked into it) ->> Artec SE-EQ8 (always on 8 band graphic equalizer, settings as follows: [Freq=100Hz LoShlv Boost=+1dB ; Freq=170Hz Q=wide Boost=+1dB ; Freq=280Hz Q=narrow Boost=+3dB ; Freq=500Hz Q=narrow Boost=+2dB ; Freq=800Hz Q=narrow Boost=+1dB ; Freq=1.4kHzHz Q=narrow Boost=+2dB ; Freq=2.3kHz Q=wide Boost=+3dB ; Freq=5kHz HiShlv Cut=-10dB]) ->> Zoom G1Xon (Always on "160 Comp" (emulating a DBX 160A compressor) set to a quite subtle compression, and additionally used for 2 reverb patches, which respectively are as follows: Plate Reverb->HD Hall Reverb->Tape Delay, prominent reverb patch :-: Plate Reverb->HD Hall Reverb->Tape Delay, extremely thick lush reverb patch, used as a reverb pad effect with volume swells) ->> NUX Tape Core Deluxe (Roland Space Echo tape delay emulation) ->> Zoom MS-70CDR (always on 2 x 2 band parametric EQ : [Freq=63Hz Q=4 Boost=+1dB ; Freq=200Hz Q=4 Boost=+1dB ; Freq=400Hz Q=2 Boost=+1dB ; Freq=1kHz Q=4 Boost=+1dB] ->> subtle plate reverb ->> and faux, EQ based, cab sim, consisting of a 2 band parametric EQ set as follows: [Freq=12kHz Q=1 Cut=-18dB ; Freq=20kHz Q=0.5 Cut=-20dB], and additionally used for a lush Church reverb that can be switched on/off)

->> Band rehearsal/jamming/gigging  // ->> Home practice / Home recordings  :

->> Joyo American Sound (always on clean preamp (gain set to ever so slightly break up when digging in the hardest), a Tech 21 Blonde clone, analog emulation of a Fender type amp, with a wide curve around the center frequency of 400Hz boosted about +3dB, and an about +3dB pre gain stage boost to wide curve around the center frequency of 800Hz) // ->> Band rehearsal/jamming/gigging ->>  [Effects Return] (poweramp input) of Peavey Solo Special 112 (160W, solid state guitar combo, with the build in 4 Ohm 12" speaker unit disconnected and instead hooked up to a The Box PA 502 PA speaker) ->> The Box PA 502 (full range PA speaker with 1x 15" + 1.7" high frequency tweeter horn)  // ->> Home practice / Home recordings  ->> Behringer Eurorack UB1202 (mixer) ->> ->> Sennheiser HD 380 Pro (headphones) ]/[ ->> Behringer Tube Ultragain MIC100 (tube preamp) ->> M-Audio Fast Track (sound interface) ->> Reaper (DAW) ]

I use this setup for the musical project that currently has my main focus, a bass/vocals and drums/vocals duo that in lack of a better genre definition can be categorized as something like progressive psychedelic stoner/doom rock.

Would they not work better if they were all connected?

1 hour ago, NicoMcJ said:

Would they not work better if they were all connected?

Please read the post you quote and you will find your answer (you don't have to read the entire signal chain, just what I write at the top of the picture about my new pedal board), though you are of course essentially perfectly right, it's just that in this specific context it is rather irrelevant, and that I already have explained in the original post that you quote that I at the moment I took the picture just finished arranging the pedals on my new board, and the next step was to connect and attach them.

Also one could rightfully claim that since the function of this whole thread is to represent a purely visual representation of people's pedal setups, and no one will be able to test them out based on that over the internet anyway, it is quite irrelevant weather the pedals actually are yet connected or not, consequently going out of your line of reasoning you could also claim that just about every body else's posted picture of their setup would work better if the power was actually turned on (assuming that by far the majority of people (I presume you most likely being the exception) will be much more interested in the selection of pedals and how they are arranged than the cables connecting them).

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

47 minutes ago, NicoMcJ said:

Dusted, cleaned and fresh velcro. Hopefully it doesn’t look quite so much like my “last gig was in a quarry”! 😂😂

C5857407-79C7-4951-9B8E-D2CE57523CA8.jpeg

Red Velcro!! Very nice, hadn’t thought of that. Gonna go with “not black” next time mine needs a refresh, LIKE this!!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Please read the post you quote and you will find your answer (you don't have to read the entire signal chain, just what I write at the top of the picture about my new pedal board), though you are of course essentially perfectly right, it's just that in this specific context it is rather irrelevant, and that I already have explained in the original post that you quote that I at the moment I took the picture just finished arranging the pedals on my new board, and the next step was to connect and attach them.

Also one could rightfully claim that since the function of this whole thread for is representing a purely visual representation of people's pedal setups, and no one will be able to test them out based on that over the internet anyway, it is quite irrelevant weather the pedals actually are yet connected or not, consequently going out of your line of reasoning you could also claim that just about every body else's posted picture of their setup would work better if the power was actually turned on (assuming that by far the majority of people (I presume you most likely being the exception) will be much more interested in the selection of pedals and how they are arranged than the cables connecting them).

You make a good point.  I might start a separate thread concerning the fascinating field of patch cables.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, moley6knipe said:

Red Velcro!! Very nice, hadn’t thought of that. Gonna go with “not black” next time mine needs a refresh, LIKE this!!

I found it by chance when looking on EvilBay.  You can get pretty much every colour! 

• Like 1

Still waiting for some power cables but otherwise finished. I've added the octaver and compressor this week and very happy with the board as it is. The Boss is there when I play guitar, the grey pedal is a custom built bass tube screamer that sounds absolutely killer.

IMG_5056.jpg

• Like 1

Refined set up for all things noisy/ambient/synthy.

Pretty happy with everything overall and it'll certainly do me for the current project...

The Vintage Microtubes isn't really my choice of OD sound (a bit too rock/metal) for the stuff I'm doing now, so I might swap that out some something a bit more ‘me’, however it does stack well with the Alpha Omicron. Also, the Xerograph is getting less use now that the Barbenera has taken prime spot for synth swells. It's a nice envelope filter, but it's not my favourite as a stand alone classic filter (that spot goes to the Subdecay Prometheus, which I miss very much!), so may be on the chopping block soon for something else.

IMG_3605.jpg

IMG_3606.jpg

IMG_3607.jpg

For those of you interested in the signal chain...

• Instrument input > Onto Nojs >
  • Darkglass Alpha Omicron >
  • Darkglass Vintage Microtubes >
  • Bananana Effects Matryoshka Bass Synth >
  • Iron Ether Xerograph Deluxe >
  • Nemphasis Steam Bass >
  • EBS DPhaser >
  • Triungolo Labs Barbanera (+ Moog EP-3 Expression Pedal) >
  • Source Audio Nemesis Delay >
  • Neunaber Immerse Reverb >
  • TC Electronic Polytune > Output to amp

Everything is mounted to a Pedaltrain Classic 2, cabled with EBS flat patch cables (gold) and powered by a Cioks DC7 power supply (which is easily the best power supply I've ever used).

Edited by pantherairsoft
  • Like 6

Cheeky little update: OC-5 bumped for the Phaser.   Decided to move the OC-5 on as it just wasn’t going to get used, the conclusion I always reach when buying a straight up octave pedal.  Originally planned to grab a Source Audio C4 to replace the octaver, but the cost to get midi set up with the ES-5 was just too much, and changing presets by switch wasn’t an option for me.  So I went with a crazy phaser instead and love it! 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Kev said:

Cheeky little update: OC-5 bumped for the Phaser.   Decided to move the OC-5 on as it just wasn’t going to get used, the conclusion I always reach when buying a straight up octave pedal.  Originally planned to grab a Source Audio C4 to replace the octaver, but the cost to get midi set up with the ES-5 was just too much, and changing presets by switch wasn’t an option for me.  So I went with a crazy phaser instead and love it! 

Told you it was good! Wish I could’ve held onto it, but the reality is, I hardly ever used it when I had it, and now I have tons of Phasers in the Stomp so it wasn’t needed. Enjoy!

• Like 2

So boards changed again,as I've got rid of a few pedals, to buy another bass (as you do) had a change around of some and have a slightly different layout.

EBS Microbass 2 - this is the third one of these I've had, and I'd forgotten how brilliant they are. Works as an A/B box for 2 basses, or two channels for one,  and an OD, DI, headphone amp it also has a loop with a control for parallel to series operation.

I've put all my effects into the loop, so I can use them with the headphone amp and set  the dial to 100% effect as I don't need any clean blended in.

first in the loop

Cali76 CB - I've tried most of them and love this for versatility while still being intuitive to use. It has fantastic natural tone,which just makes you sound better. (Although I've seriously got my eye on an FEA optifet 🤣)

This then goes into the main input of a Boss LS2,so all channels are massaged by the Cali76. This then goes back to the EBS, this is my main clean sound, I can switch  effects in/out using the Ls2

Ls2 Loop A - Analog Channel 

Cog T70 triple Octave - 3 channel octaves with its own loop. Two separated T65 octaves which ive set 1 for a clean smooth octave and another for a synthy octave up sound, utilising the filters. It has a third "sub" channel which has no clean just octave. The filters can get this fairly close to the OC2 sound. The loop on this enables "parallel" octave so any effects used have the octave clean underneath, in this loop I have

Zvex Mastatron fuzz- gated spitty funky fuzz! An absolute fuzzy classic and is must on any board.  It adds to the synthy channel on the T70 to create an massive fuzzed octave.

In series to The T70

MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe - fantastic warm chorus/Flanger. I have it set to affect only the high end,so subtle but a lovely sound. I particularly love the Flanger setting.

EBS Dphaser - fabulously funky multi stage phaser, with lots of control and sounds very deep and cool

Ls2 Loop B - digital Synth Channel

Source Audio C4 synth- this has so many sounds and I'm finding it's able to replace more and more of my board. Loads of octaves/filters/phasers/bit crushers/fuzzes and synths. I have the Disaster Area Micro DMC so I can access 128 sounds from the C4. So versatile.

These to channels can be mixed via the LS2 (the most useful pedal in existance)

20210622_194342.jpg

Edited by lee650
  • Like 7

Same for me with the C4 - it’s replaced octave fuzz and filter pedals AND it can make any synth noise I could conceivably use. But it does need MIDI and setup time for sure. If you can add one using your setup, I’d recommend adding an expression pedal for even more fun!

I’ve started making some nasty fuzz sounds, investigating foldover options. I want to make some chordy things for some song intros. And a sequencer. And. And. And…

• Like 1

Before & After shots. Selling a few pedals basically paid for the Helix and C4 (+ controllers). 

My conclusion is that this new setup is fun and has a lot more potential sounds and tweakability, but it does lose a few things - the individual pedals are more limited but often sound a bit better at their specific sound and have more obvious/immediate hands-on (or foot-on) control. The new setup is better suited to hooking up to a laptop and planning out presets rather an spontaneous tweaking. 

Also, the Helix editing system is great and a £20 footswitch will give you two extra footswitches which is plenty to do most things. The C4 sounds great but Neuro editing isn't as intuative, and it needs a £100+ controller to access additional presets via footswitches (and the setup of that isnt that easy either). So I wouldn't particularly recommend people spend £325+ on a C4 and controller if it is just to replace their envelope filter and octaver, but it does also do a lot of great synth sounds so is probably is worth it if you want that too. 

20210409_104152.jpg

20210623_112259.jpg

• Like 5

Just had a quick fudge around to get the Phase90 on. I’m still getting a volume drop when the phaser kicks in ? Any thoughts on that ? 

(And got some toppers seeing as all the  cool kids have them 😜😂)

12A97BE3-FBB1-47D5-BB93-463C8B2CE417.jpeg

Edited by danny-79
  • Like 5

37 minutes ago, danny-79 said:

Just had a quick fudge around to get the Phase90 on. I’m still getting a volume drop when the phaser kicks in ? Any thoughts on that ? 

(And got some toppers seeing as all the  cool kids have them 😜😂)

12A97BE3-FBB1-47D5-BB93-463C8B2CE417.jpeg

The Phase 90 is pretty reputable for the volume drop - just a quirk of that older pedal design. IIRC it is something to do with the resistor on the output (I think it's 150k) and replacing it for a 180k is enough to level that out.

Also note that the very nature of a phaser makes it pretty hard for your ears to detect 'unity' gain, as such they tend to either sound a little quiet, or a little loud depending where in the phase sweep they are. 

I put together a small board for gigs that don't require lots of mad sounds (most of them 😪). I'm not sure what the 4th pedal will be. I considered a tuner (I normally use a clip-on), but I think this might be a roving line-up anyway, depending on the gig. And any excuse to break out the Octabvre Mk3.

My favourite thing about this board is the power supply: a Gigrig Isolator and a True Tone Onespot. I can't believe how simple and effective it is.

20210623_174037.jpg

Edited by bassist_lewis
  • Like 2