Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

1 hour ago, GMC said:

Here's my current pedalboard. I need to update my "under croft" image...it's a bit neater down there since this shot. The Mastotron isn't plumbed in anymore, since getting the SA Ultrawave, I can get similar sounds. Maybe next month, I'll be sliding in a SA Spectrum in there, although I'm still getting a lot of filter use out of my C4.But it'll be nice to be able to add an additional filter anywhere in my chain as well as the C4 options. I'd love to cram in a Deep Impact in there somewhere...but it's pretty maxxed out space wise.  

2021-02-24-3.jpg

2021-02-23-9.jpg

I’d be looking to sell my Future Impact, and I have both the Super Compact and Future Compact 3d printed enclosures for it. Message me if you’re interested!

Practicing for some shows planned later this year (fingers crossed they materialise) so thought I'd put my board up.

Input from my instrument into:

Mantic Hulk set for dry through - dedicated sub out goes to separate mixer channel.

Loop station

Freeze 1

Freeze 2 

Pitchfork

Obscura Delay

Skysurfer reverb (set very low, just gives an extra bit of bloom on dry stages).

Eventually I'll add an isolated power supply which will go between the Hulk and reverb pedal.

IMG_20210407_114853409_HDR.jpg

• Like 2

On 07/04/2021 at 11:57, Woodwind said:

Practicing for some shows planned later this year (fingers crossed they materialise) so thought I'd put my board up.

Input from my instrument into:

Mantic Hulk set for dry through - dedicated sub out goes to separate mixer channel.

Loop station

Freeze 1

Freeze 2 

Pitchfork

Obscura Delay

Skysurfer reverb (set very low, just gives an extra bit of bloom on dry stages).

Eventually I'll add an isolated power supply which will go between the Hulk and reverb pedal.

IMG_20210407_114853409_HDR.jpg

That's a lot of Freezing and looping!

I like the tipex on the EHX pedals move - I've done the same in the past and will do the same on the switchblade pro I just got (or I'll keep raiding my kids stickers collection!), always seems a bit of a design flaw to create pedal controls with tiny dull thin lines on them that are difficult to see from at least 6 foot away in a dark venue. 

• Like 2

There's so much inspiration in these post for nice pedals, must control myself or my wallet will cry.

Anyway, I'll do my best at enjoying what I own:

_20210306_081403.thumb.JPG.ad61f356e951dfdfd05c78b289273605.JPG

This is my current board, used in two different projects. From the left, I got an always-on Fairfield Circuitry Barbershop to always have my sound lightly overdriven. I truly love how that pedal shapes the bass tone. I'm a pick player not into large fat sounds anyway and it really suits. Than the Team Awesome Fuzz Machine which, of course, fuzzes. Alternatively I have a standard Fairfield Circuitry Barbershop set up for for a more overdriven tone, and at the beginning of the chain (yes indeed) EHX Bass Clone chorus & Holy Grail Max reverb. Tuner's a TC Poly black mini. I play alt-rock/90s/acoustic/shoegaze/indie/post-rock&punk with this one.

This is instead the old pb I used in my instrumental post-rock/desert trio:

_20210306_081531.thumb.JPG.f6d18f047a5bcaf2f43a7fb1b684983a.JPG

I used a P bass tuned in C standard with Re'62 pickups and 50-110 Rotosound flats, resulting in a  very low output. I boosted it with the HotTubes (always on) to feed it to the COG Knightfall 66 on which had two levels of gain set; one of the two was my always on/standard tone. Than I had the Pog2, Freeze and Helix for weird/trippy sounding sections, and the Blower Box for the most distorted tones. I did some swells too with the Dunlop volume. This has only been used on that very specific band since it was all fine tuned to work with that bass and bandmates. Damn, I miss them.

• Like 5

On 08/04/2021 at 14:14, SumOne said:

That's a lot of Freezing and looping!

I like the tipex on the EHX pedals move - I've done the same in the past and will do the same on the switchblade pro I just got (or I'll keep raiding my kids stickers collection!), always seems a bit of a design flaw to create pedal controls with tiny dull thin lines on them that are difficult to see from at least 6 foot away in a dark venue. 

The tippex is vital!

I was doing a lot of shows where my stage lighting was a dark red wash which completely knocks back the contrast of things on stage so I needed a big bold line to see the position of the knobs. Fun Stickers would have been better, but it was applied in an emergency in a soundcheck and has remained ever since 😂

I'm not a bassist per se anymore although I play big bass frequencies as well as lots of high frequencies from a woodwind instrument in contemporary solo chamber music settings.

I layer chords with the two freeze pedals and use the looper in a similar fashion

This is my recently reformed 'doubling gig' pedal board. This enables me to process and quickly switch between double bass and electric bass mid-gig, but is also used for a variety of other situations. Signal chain is: EBS SC Pre-amp (tuner out into Korg Tuner)  > Seymour Duncan Compressor > DOD Chorus (selected via Bright Onions switch for true bypass). As you can see, the only ‘special effect’ is the selectable Chorus. However, the board has two hidden extra power cables to facilitate the temporary adding of extra effects to suit the requirements of different gigs. All powered by the wonderful Ciocks DC-7 power supply (hidden underneath). Most bits are secured with dual lock. Board is a RockBoard DUO 2.1.

1400544932_20210412_202635_Edited2.thumb.jpg.9932cdae76a9a8badb660158fb019d5a.jpg

20210412_202809_Edited~2.jpg

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, glassmoon said:

Nice!!!!  Say, how does the EBS handle electric bass?

Thanks, GlassMoon. It handles electric bass really well indeed. No 'drive' or tuner as per EBS MB3, but those are features I can live without for this pedal board and for many of the doubling gigs I do. For me, it has replaced 3 or 4 pedals (a Rafferty HPF, Fishman pre, AB selector pedal and electric bass pre such as Sans Amp). It is a 'tasty' (and light) piece of equipment.

• Like 1

Here is the latest incarnation of my board

yr2Axhh.jpg

bBHXhUW.jpg

I'm pretty happy with this new arrangement. All mounted on a Schmidt Array SA450:

Signal Chain

Boss LS-2 (A/B switch for 2 basses or bass/bass station synth) > Morningstar ML5 > HX Stomp

The ML5 has a pedal in each loop, so:

Loop A > Cali76
Loop B > Octamizer 1 (Sub only)
Loop C > Octamizer 2
Loop D > Iron Ether Oxide
Loop E > Crowther Prunes and Custard

HX Stomp has two loops:

FX Loop 1 > Maxon AF-9
FX Loop 2 > Subdecay Prometheus

MIDI Chain

Morningstar MC8 (Dunlop Mini EXP pedal) > HX Stomp > ML5

Schmidt Connector Box/Patch Bay

uqrtFHW.jpg

The Blue jack (Headphone out) is used either for home practice, or for running to the input of the Backbeat, so that it can be triggered by both the bass and the synth. The balanced outs of the Stomp means no DI box is needed, so a simple TRS to XLR adaptor goes straight from the Red output to the desk, and if I'm using an amp/powered wedge too, I can use the Green output as well.

Power

The power side of the board is all GigRig. The eagle-eyed amongst you will see there are two GigRig Generators. The Schmidt Array has an IEC input, so I've used an IEC splitter to use both Generators. One is for the Stomp only (isolating it) and the other is for the rest of the board. I managed to keep all the audio parts of the chain isolated utilising a couple of GigRig Isolators.

Distributor sends power to:

Morningstar MC8
Temple Audio 9V to USB Adaptor - for charging my onstage iPad (IEM mix/charts etc)
GigRig Doubler - Isolates and provides 18V to the Cali76
2x GigRig Isolators power the rest of the pedals
The last spot on the Distributor is a long cable that I can plug my Airturn bluetooth footswitch into to charge

If you've made it to the end of this post congratulations! It took me almost as long to write as it did to build the board! 🤣

Hope you guys might find it interesting/useful for your own builds.

Edited by Higgie
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, moley6knipe said:

And Morningstar for the win. I just control a C4 with my MC6. Proper Swiss Army knife. 

Yeah they’re awesome. I had the MC6 first, but decided to upgrade to the MC8 when I saw one for sale. The ML5 was the logical next addition, to have MIDI control of the non-MIDI pedals

On 05/04/2021 at 21:47, dannybuoy said:

The Diabolik sounds better to me without a buffer in front of it, but I’d expect putting the OC-2 after would upset the tracking a bit. Not always the case with fuzz/drive though, so worth trying if you haven’t already!

Double-edged sword though, yeah would upset tracking, but then having the OC2 first means that the fuzz is going to compress all the sub out from it, assuming that they’re used together.
So really just depends on ones usage.

Si

7 hours ago, Sibob said:

Double-edged sword though, yeah would upset tracking, but then having the OC2 first means that the fuzz is going to compress all the sub out from it, assuming that they’re used together.
So really just depends on ones usage.

Si

But with the Diabolik you've got the clean signal to blend in, so with the OC-2 first that's OC-2 signal (clean) and OC-2 Signal Fuzz'd coming through and blendable and with you blending your clean signal on the OC-2 it's 3 layers of signal going on.

Best thing I could do is put the OC-2 and Diabolik in the LS-2 (accept the issue of a buffer) and have the option to run them in series or parallel and in any order.

But currently playing Americana and country, it stays at home for when I'm jamming those Dua Lipa covers 😇

• Like 3

I've been on an equipment purge over lockdown. After some trial and error, I am finally content with this board along with my Lakland 44-64 and TI Jazz Flats.

I'm using the Fender Downtown Express for some parallel compression and EQ before the bass hits FOH. The EQ is really nice and the unit in general is a steal at full price, so I'm especially happy at getting it for £90 on eBay. The drive is cool, I don't have a lot of use for it but it sounds good and certainly serves the purpose. Mute switch is useful as I use the tuner out to the pitchblack mini which saves some cable space. I don't use the DI out, I reserve that for a Rupert Neve RNDI that sits on top of my amp. 

Ibanez Bass Tubescreamers seem generally disliked and I totally get why, they are a bit farty when used at higher settings and are generally a million miles away from that modern Darkglass thing. I use it at very moderate settings for simply colouring my tone and adding some mid-thump and I like it for this. I use it as an always on pedal. It also makes the Fender drive sound much better. 

Maxon CS-9 Pro is just a dream chorus. There's not much about it online but I'm happy I took a punt on it. Expensive, but I'll never need another chorus pedal, it's very rich and deep, and it also has a blend knob. Not much of that hissing thing some other chorus pedals are prone too, it sounds nice and juicy. 

Mooer shimverb is cool, I use it sparingly in some sparse sections and it does the job just fine, and for £40 I can't complain. I'm only using the room setting so this piece might be changed for something different. 

I now have zero option paralysis and it feels good. 

IMG_20210420_150322.jpg

Edited by Light Grenade
  • Like 7