Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

I have two small boards that fit - one at a time - to a mono Tick. These are easy to take along. The upper is for fretted and the lower for the fretless bass.

Certain adjustments should not change by accident and there are few Stompshields. Some big knobs can be seen, too (Vong, Phat Beam). I can do adjustments while playing.

The HB NG-100 is there to cut the attack, like in that Boss SG-1 (Slow Gear). I think HB is even more versatile as it can control attack and decay. mooer had few sounds from my other basses, like Vigier single coil.

These do not look very handsome but they are small and functional. The power comes from 1Spot.

20201007_110425.jpg

• Like 3

On 07/10/2020 at 09:23, itu said:

I have two small boards that fit - one at a time - to a mono Tick. These are easy to take along. The upper is for fretted and the lower for the fretless bass.

Certain adjustments should not change by accident and there are few Stompshields. Some big knobs can be seen, too (Vong, Phat Beam). I can do adjustments while playing.

The HB NG-100 is there to cut the attack, like in that Boss SG-1 (Slow Gear). I think HB is even more versatile as it can control attack and decay. mooer had few sounds from my other basses, like Vigier single coil.

These do not look very handsome but they are small and functional. The power comes from 1Spot.

20201007_110425.jpg

What's the little cog pedal?

So the latest incarnation of the board. I moved on the SA Gemini as it was power hungry and I prefer Analog modulation.

So I've added an MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe, which also has a lovely flanger and an MXR EVH phase 90, with script and block modes.

As my cog T70 has all the dirt pedals/filters in it's loop, nd runs paralell. I've added a Valeton AC10 (tiny little OC2 clone) so I can run an octave on series, it's really crazy with the prunes n custard. Also adding the -2 to the cog sounds massive!!

As I've run out if room (Ive a nano + incoming) I've taken the  3 leaf enabler of the board,As it takes a load of power and as it's used primarily as a headphone amp/DI rather than an EQ it isn't needed on board.

20201007_132030.jpg

• Like 1

My new dinky pedalboard - hopefully a replacement for my Line 6 XT Live. I'd thought about it and come to the conclusion that everything I wanted could be done by just these, so I've gone minimal. Overall dimensions are 320mm W x 230mm D. The wee box under the tuner is the power distribution. 9v will come in from the PSU mounted in my rack case and gets distributed out to the pedals from here. I could have used a daisy chain but I think this is more elegant, plus it raises the tuner and makes it more accessible. I also could have mounted the PSU itself here but I didn't want a mains lead in my cable snake. In an ideal world I'd have gone rechargeable and hidden it underneath, but my pockets aren't deep enough.
I'm really pleased with how it's turned out... well, mostly. My one regret is that I painted the board with household gloss paint in an attempt to get a nice shiny surface for the velcro to stick to, and it's taking aaaaaages to dry. It's been over a week and I'm still getting wrinkles and fingerprints and it's really peeing me off. It's got another week, and if it's still soft I'll junk the woodwork and re-do it. I have plenty of timber and velcro left.

EDIT: sod it, I'm just going to re-do the timber anyway. I can't live with those paint imperfections.

20201010_101049.jpg

20201010_101106.jpg

Edited by Rich
  • Like 1

Hmm. Tiny pedalboards risk looking pretentious  ('I have all the ingredients required for perfect tone') while huge ones suggest a paralysing inability to prioritise or make decisions (oops I fit into that category...)

So is there a sweet spot and how many pedals is that (multi-fx users excluded as they want to have their cake and eat it 🙂 )

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Hmm. Tiny pedalboards risk looking pretentious  ('I have all the ingredients required for perfect tone') while huge ones suggest a paralysing inability to prioritise or make decisions (oops I fit into that category...)

So is there a sweet spot and how many pedals is that (multi-fx users excluded as they want to have their cake and eat it 🙂 )

So it's now all about "appearances" for you and nothing to do with the sound you're after or the limitations of your budget? Because you want to make sure folk don't think you are being pretentious or a ditherer?

Well this thread is a good place to start if you're needing inspiration on board size and content.

Oh and the answer to your question is 7 😁 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

That sobbing sound you can hear is my new tiny pedalboard distraught at the idea that it might be 'pretentious'. A day old and it's labelled already. No wonder it's upset.

But seriously... My tone isn't perfect by a long chalk, but this board gives me everything I need at the moment and I don't give a fffff what anyone thinks it looks like. :D

Edited by Rich
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rich said:

My new dinky pedalboard - hopefully a replacement for my Line 6 XT Live. I'd thought about it and come to the conclusion that everything I wanted could be done by just these, so I've gone minimal. Overall dimensions are 320mm W x 230mm D. The wee box under the tuner is the power distribution. 9v will come in from the PSU mounted in my rack case and gets distributed out to the pedals from here. I could have used a daisy chain but I think this is more elegant, plus it raises the tuner and makes it more accessible. I also could have mounted the PSU itself here but I didn't want a mains lead in my cable snake. In an ideal world I'd have gone rechargeable and hidden it underneath, but my pockets aren't deep enough.
I'm really pleased with how it's turned out... well, mostly. My one regret is that I painted the board with household gloss paint in an attempt to get a nice shiny surface for the velcro to stick to, and it's taking aaaaaages to dry. It's been over a week and I'm still getting wrinkles and fingerprints and it's really peeing me off. It's got another week, and if it's still soft I'll junk the woodwork and re-do it. I have plenty of timber and velcro left.

EDIT: sod it, I'm just going to re-do the timber anyway. I can't live with those paint imperfections.

20201010_101049.jpg

20201010_101106.jpg

Love the laminating machine at the back - perfect for making sure spilled beer doesn't smudge the ink on your setlist. Love how the expression pedal is bigger than everything else too. 😆

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Quatschmacher said:

Love the laminating machine at the back - perfect for making sure spilled beer doesn't smudge the ink on your setlist. Love how the expression pedal is bigger than everything else too. 😆

My stone-age gear :lol: the way I see it, I may as well use it if it still works!

1 minute ago, Rich said:

My stone-age gear :lol: the way I see it, I may as well use it if it still works!

OC-2 is a classic, and those Boss expression pedals are solid. I only got rid of mine as I needed something which did 5V (mine was 3.3V).

5 minutes ago, Rich said:

"Cool, I like your Mammoth. What do the other 9 pedals do?"

"Oh they're just empty boxes. I keep them there to stop me looking pretentious."

:lol:

Touché! Actually the only one not seeing much action is the Wombtone on mine, mainly because I need to buy a longer TRS cable to hook it up to my MIDI controller. 

What is the laminator-looking thing? A tuner? Really does look like one of these:

D41D3A83-AB9A-404E-82AF-575CCCF9B507.jpeg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rich said:

"Cool, I like your Mammoth. What do the other 9 pedals do?"

"Oh they're just empty boxes. I keep them there to stop me looking pretentious."

:lol:

"Although I do get the odd stare from punters who think I am dithering, or at least can't work out why I'm not using any of the other pedals..." 😁

Edited by Al Krow

17 hours ago, BillyBass said:

I've no idea what it sounds like but the colours are beautiful

Are you a fan of glam rock? 😁

14 hours ago, BillyBass said:

I mainly use mine for its headphone out and aux in and a bit of compression but the overdrive comes in handy sometimes.  

How do you rate it as a headphone amp? Just wondering whether I should maybe get one of these as a off board headphone amp rather than getting a second B1-4? The B1-4 is obviously is a lot cheaper and does a bunch of other stuff...hmmm, I think I've just answered my own question, lol!

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Are you a fan of glam rock? 😁

How do you rate it as a headphone amp? Just wondering whether I should maybe get one of these as a off board headphone amp rather than getting a second B1-4? The B1-4 is obviously is a lot cheaper and does a bunch of other stuff...hmmm, I think I've just answered my own question, lol!

As a headphone amp the Spectradrive works just fine, its better than my Elf and it also has the Aux in, which is very useful if you are learning covers.  I bought this during the lockdown, I was at home, practising for several hours per day but wanting to stay on good terms with the neighbours (I thought my Elf's headphone out was faulty and it was about to be sent off for repair).  The B1-4 was sold out everywhere, even Thomann ran out and I didn't want to wait a month or more for new stock to arrive so I thought I would buy the spectradrive and possibly make use of its pre-amp/DI facilities too.  Both bits of kit are good value but the Zoom does a lot for very little dosh.

Glam rock!😀 I suppose @javi_bassist's pedal board is a bit glam rockish, I am guessing Javi doesn't play in a death metal band😀.  The colours are really nice though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, BillyBass said:

Glam rock!😀 I suppose @javi_bassist's pedal board is a bit glam rockish, I am guessing Javi doesn't play in a death metal band😀.  The colours are really nice though.

Hahahaha, nope, everything from pop, rock, alt rock and some blues. 

I have to say that some years back, all my pedals were black. Not by choice, because I like the sound. But it was boring-looking. I've been changing pedals for years (again, not because of the colours, but because of the sound) and I ended up with a very colourful pedalboard. And I like it this way :P 

• Like 1