Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

11 minutes ago, Merton said:

Latest version of mine. The OriginAL has replaced a SansAmp and Darkglass in my heart, it’s a great preamp/DI etc. Had great fun with the TonePrints on the mini Sub’n’Up :)

E29FA1A2-6370-4E56-9F49-7522E80CC3C5.jpeg

I really want to try the OriginAL as I'm curious about it but for some reason there don't seem to be any decent demos online and it's a bit pricey to take a punt on just to see what it's like. 

2 hours ago, Painy said:

I really want to try the OriginAL as I'm curious about it but for some reason there don't seem to be any decent demos online and it's a bit pricey to take a punt on just to see what it's like. 

I’ll try to do a demo for you over the weekend. I love it, the 5-band EQ feels familiar from the RM800 and it produces a beautifully clear, clean tone which just enhances whatever’s going into it. The valve drive is VERY drivey, nothing like the old ABM valve which needed to be seriously cranked for any real heavy clipping. It’s very reactive to the bass you play - my ACG Finn 4 gets gnarly very fast but my Zoot Funkmeister needs a bit more of a push from the valve gain to match the distortion. Contemplating a lower gain valve. DI’d and in the mix with a band it sounds like a big valve amp, which is superb :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Merton said:

I’ll try to do a demo for you over the weekend. I love it, the 5-band EQ feels familiar from the RM800 and it produces a beautifully clear, clean tone which just enhances whatever’s going into it. The valve drive is VERY drivey, nothing like the old ABM valve which needed to be seriously cranked for any real heavy clipping. It’s very reactive to the bass you play - my ACG Finn 4 gets gnarly very fast but my Zoot Funkmeister needs a bit more of a push from the valve gain to match the distortion. Contemplating a lower gain valve. DI’d and in the mix with a band it sounds like a big valve amp, which is superb :)

Well that description hasn't helped my gas at all - sounds like its awesome! 😁

What I have in mind is something that gives me a little more eq control over my CTM30. I love the core tone of the amp but the eq is fairly subtle. It would be nice to be able to make more precise adjustments when swapping between different basses. 

A demo would be amazing though if you do get a chance, thanks. 🙂👍

Edited by Painy
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Merton said:

The EQ affects the same frequencies than the RM in theory. I bought the OriginAL preamp because I love the RM and I really like Ashdown. Playing with it for a couple of months already and I love it. 

The Drive is not subtle and it is affected too by the Input of the pedal. I use to add some overdrive to the clean tone. But I can run it clean when I use a Chorus or a Delay. It is actually a pretty awesome preamp.

What I find weird (maybe because I used to play with the Tone Hammer) is that the Output is at 3 and it doesn't give a lot of volume.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, javi_bassist said:

The EQ affects the same frequencies than the RM in theory. I bought the OriginAL preamp because I love the RM and I really like Ashdown. Playing with it for a couple of months already and I love it. 

The Drive is not subtle and it is affected too by the Input of the pedal. I use to add some overdrive to the clean tone. But I can run it clean when I use a Chorus or a Delay. It is actually a pretty awesome preamp.

What I find weird (maybe because I used to play with the Tone Hammer) is that the Output is at 3 and it doesn't give a lot of volume.

I’ve not had a problem with output volume tbh, but your point about input gain is a good one - will experiment more!

7 minutes ago, Merton said:

I’ve not had a problem with output volume tbh, but your point about input gain is a good one - will experiment more!

Not actually a problem, but I find it odd. It keeps the volume of the bass. I need to experiment more though.

Edited by javi_bassist

16 hours ago, Painy said:

Well that description hasn't helped my gas at all - sounds like its awesome! 😁

What I have in mind is something that gives me a little more eq control over my CTM30. I love the core tone of the amp but the eq is fairly subtle. It would be nice to be able to make more precise adjustments when swapping between different basses. 

I'm sure his will help even more... the clean OriginAL through my Little Bastard is quite the thing. I'll try to demo that too :)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, javi_bassist said:

I'm the other way round. I bought the OriginAL (Norman version) and now am looking to buy a RM800...!

It's a balance between input gain and output level.  The output seems to act as an attenuator rather than volume, so fully clockwise is unity, if I have input at 9 o'clock. Probably worth a discussion thread on this pedal rather than hijack the pedalboard thread, 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, walshy said:

Aye was just a quick mock up, quite impressed the Noble will power the other 6 pedals. Nifty

Very nifty.

How much of your DC7 (I see it's in the FS) did it take to power your Helix and how many outputs were left over? @bassfan - same question for you, buddy. And does it slot in under your board as easily as your DC5? Pics please!

PS Walshy - StubbyM and I are just jeal you've got a Noble! 

Edited by Al Krow

28 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Very nifty.

How much of your DC7 (I see it's in the FS) did it take to power your Helix and how many outputs were left over? @bassfan - same question for you, buddy. And does it slot in under your board as easily as your DC5? Pics please!

PS Walshy - StubbyM and I are just jeal you've got a Noble! 

Yep it hangs under the board, just drill a few holes, easy as. I think I used 2 outlets to get enough juice through to the HX and Stomp, it’s a pretty neat thing, better than the Voodoo ones I’ve had previous.

Yeah right place right time for the Noble.

17 hours ago, Muppet said:

I'm the other way round. I bought the OriginAL (Norman version) and now am looking to buy a RM800...!

It's a balance between input gain and output level.  The output seems to act as an attenuator rather than volume, so fully clockwise is unity, if I have input at 9 o'clock. Probably worth a discussion thread on this pedal rather than hijack the pedalboard thread, 

In my case, I had the RM already, but since I'm going ampless lately, I wanted something to sound like it in a pedal.

On 16/07/2020 at 20:01, Merton said:

Latest version of mine. The OriginAL has replaced a SansAmp and Darkglass in my heart, it’s a great preamp/DI etc. Had great fun with the TonePrints on the mini Sub’n’Up :)

E29FA1A2-6370-4E56-9F49-7522E80CC3C5.jpeg

How do you find the Mooer Micro DI? I'm thinking of adding one since my VTDI was removed from my board.

5 minutes ago, ezbass said:

How do you find the Mooer Micro DI? I'm thinking of adding one since my VTDI was removed from my board.

I think that's a Mooer AB-Y pedal rather than a DI. 

What made you decide to dump the VTDI?

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I think that's a Mooer AB-Y pedal rather than a DI. 

What made you decide to dump the VTDI?

Ah, so it is, damn that inversion! 😂

Not dumped the VTDI per se (I still have it, at least for the time being), but since I've added a compressor, there's no room for it on my Nano+ board. Also, as I'm playing fretless way more, I don't need the grit I was using it for.

2 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Ah, so it is, damn that inversion! 😂

Not dumped the VTDI per se (I still have it, at least for the time being), but since I've added a compressor, there's no room for it on my Nano+ board. Also, as I'm playing fretless way more, I don't need the grit I was using it for.

FWIW it's a good little AB-Y pedal and doesn't require to be powered :)

In addition to those very neat flat patch cables, I'm just gonna leave you with the thought of a HB-50M board. Inexpensive and a really useful size (check my post a couple of pages back which illustrates). 

• Thanks 1