Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

On 05/05/2020 at 20:03, javi_bassist said:

A little update in mine: The Aguilar Tone Hammer goes... The Ashdown Original preamp comes

20200505_185303.jpg

How do you find the Ashdown pre amp?  There isn't much in the way of reviews online.  I'm intrigued to hear how the valve drive sounds.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, BillyBass said:

How do you find the Ashdown pre amp?  There isn't much in the way of reviews online.  I'm intrigued to hear how the valve drive sounds.

I really like it. Better than the Aguilar Tone Hammer IMO, which is the other one that I have. The EQ is very useful. The valve overdrive goes crazy very quickly. At 9 is already a very high gain overdrive. It is also very interactive with the input knob. The best thing is that you have an overdrive level, so you can get clean and overdrive tone without a jump in volume. I will try to record some overdrive sounds

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, javi_bassist said:

The best thing is that you have an overdrive level, so you can get clean and overdrive tone without a jump in volume. I will try to record some overdrive sounds

Would be keen to hear that, thanks.

Working on a little something something, just missing velcros patch cables and ties at the back etc...

- Korg Pitchblack custom

- Nemphasis VT Comp

- Microtubes X

All fed with a 9v plug, daisy chaining with a 3 way split - this is my most simple setup to satisfy my two music projects - the compressor taking care of my neosoul clean fat tones, and both compressor + microtubes for that modern drive metal tone for this post-grunge / funk metal / melodic hardcore business that I'm starting just now soon as the restrictions lift and we can rehearse....!

This will be plugged to my Aguilar TH350.

Best,

Ander.

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-07 at 15.34.06.jpeg

• Like 1

Edit/Updare!!!: New picture of my pedal setup according to the update I made to it, and following new signal chain description :

This is my current bass pedal effects setup (I know, not much of an actual pedal board really, but I assume the purpose of this thread really is for people to see what effects other people use and how they do it):

A-Bass-Pedal-Setup-130720-small-finish.j  

That then going into this as the very last pedal in my pedal effects setup, sitting on top of my amp:

Bass-Pedal-Setup-080620-Black-Finger-sma

Making my entire signal chain look like this explained in written form:

4 string Ibanez GSRM20 Mikro Bass (strung with gauge .095 to .040 strings, and tuned in F# standard, 2 half steps above regular 4 string, E standard, tuning, as in F#1 to A2, and having a Di'Marzio Model P pickup wired directly to the output jack socket) ->->

TC Electronic Sub'N'Up Mini (always on polyphonic octaver, pitching the bass signal 1 octave up, mixed with the unaffected bass signal, giving an effect similar to that of an 8 string "octave" bass, with pairs of respectively bass and octave strings) -> Boss LS-2 [A+B Mix <-> Bypass] (parallel effect loops mixer/switch) -> ={  [Loop A Send] -> Monarch MFL-22 (flanger, almost always used mixed with phaser in parallel effects [Loop B]) -> Joyo Orange Juice (clanky grinding medium gain overdrive, always mixed with {bass+octave up} signal from parallel effects [Loop B], either clean, or sometimes going through the {Black Rat + California Sound} distortion)  -> [Loop A Return] >||< [Loop B Send] -> Xvive Phaser King (used with an almost maxed out feedback setting, almost always used mixed with flanger in parallel effects [Loop A]) -> { Mosky Black Rat (Rat clone, [Vintage] mode, quite raunchy high gain distortion, always used stacked with the California Sound overdrive in front of it, and always mixed with {bass+octave up} signal from parallel effects [Loop A], either clean, or more often going through the Orange Juice overdrive) -> Joyo California Sound (relabeled as Harley Benton, relatively dark sounding medium gain overdrive, always used with the Black Rat distortion stacked behind it, and always mixed with {bass+octave up} signal from parallel effects [Loop A] , either clean, or more often going through the Orange Juice overdrive) } -> [Loop B Return] ([Loop A] + [Loop B] mixed at an about 50/50 ratio) }=> / [Bypass Output] ->  { Xvive V16 Undulator (tremolo, sometimes combined with the chorus in front of it, and always used in conjunction with the Artec equalizer in front of it to tame a quite prominent volume and low frequency boost when engaged) -> Artec SE-EQ8 Graphic EQ (always used in conjunction with the tremolo behind it, primarily to cut the volume of the tremolo slightly, using the level [Gain] control, but additional used to fine tune the tone of the tremolo, mainly cutting some low frequency content ever so slightly) } -> Zoom MS-70CDR Multi Stomp (exclusively used as chorus) -> Nux Tape Core Deluxe (Roland Space Echo tape delay emulation, with build in tap tempo function)

->-> EHX Black Finger (always on tube driven optical compressor, used as much as a fairly moderate compressor effect as as a tube preamp stage) -> Peavey Solo Special 112 (160W solid state combo amp, with it's passive EQ controls set as follows, [Low] at about 1 o'clock [6], [Mid] at about 01:30 o'clock [6.5], and finally [High] at noon [5] ("flat"), it's active [Presence] control set flat as well, and the build in spring reverb fairly subtly added, with the amp's [Reverb] control set at about 11 o'clock [4], the build in 12" guitar speaker unit disconnected, and the amp instead hooked up to a bass cab) -> SWR Triad I  (400W bass cab equipped with, respectively: a 15" speaker unit, receiving the full frequency range of the signal from the amp's speaker output, a 10" unit, only receiving the frequency content of the signal between 100Hz and up to 5kHz, and finally a high frequency tweeter unit, that only receives any frequency content above 5kHz, the output level of the latter being adjustable via a tweakable attenuator build into the cab, currently set to the minimum position)

The near future planed updates to the above setup is as follows :

Planing is to get some kind of preamp, I have been pondering on either the MXR M281 Thump, the MXR M81 Bass Preamp, the TC Electroic Spectra Drive or the cheap Harley Benton Custom Line Bass DI-Expander, next then a Mooer Radar cab simulator pedal, that allows for 3rd party IR's to be used, together with the preamp allowing me to be able to play, rehearse and perform without needing my quite heavy amp and cab setup, and then finally I will get a proper pedal board to mount my effect pedals setup on, together with a power supply with multiple isolated outputs. 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

8dsQzGO.jpg

Finally after almost a year - a new update.
OwT0TpK.jpg
Gone: tc electronic shimmer and chorus, rat clone, Mooer LoFi, tuner (I prefer clip-on tuners).
Back: CKK tremolo, Chowny Fuzzster.
New: MuTron Micro-Tron IV, Boss Multi Overtone.

Moved some things around on the board, not in the chain.

Edited by blablas
typo
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to bag a Zoom B1-4 to take the place of my B1X-4, which has allowed me to give my mini board a bit of a makeover.

So I've gone from this...

PB - 2004mini I.jpg

...to this, with a few recent additions getting a look in.

PB - 2007mini II.jpg

This new combination feels like it could be a lot of fun and I'm kinda wondering whether my larger board may well just have been relegated to back up!

The Zoom is there for all the bits that the rest of my pedals aren't taking care of e.g. octave down, chorus, short slap-back delay, quick access EQ for motown-vintage or a bit of slap and of course as an easy to use tuner. Its built in drum machine is also super useful for home practice. As one of the least expensive pedals on the board it certainly pulls its weight!

Postscript: managed to source some decent value flat patch cables for under £10 and a couple of right angle daisy chain x2, which tidied things up nicely, and have got all the buttons reasonably accessible. Could even see me using this live now - roll on the autumn and, fingers crossed, the return of gigs!

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, stewblack said:

Bit of a makeover?? @Al Krow that's a whole different ball game. 

You can see why I was trying to bag your B1-4 a few months back now! Must admit the new pedal line up has brought a bit of a grin to this old head of mine. 

I'm holding onto the Zoom B1X-4 though - it'll make for an excellent standalone headphone amp / tuner / multifx and slip very nicely into a gig bag pouch!

Edited by Al Krow

Always changing and always evolving! Or in my case,buying back pedals 've already sold because I've realised they were good. Sellers remorse had a terrible thing 😂

Current set up

Cali76 CB - I've tried most of them and love this for versatility while still being intuitive to use. It has fantastic natural tone,which just makes you sound better 

3 leaf Wonderlove envelope Filter- I'm utilising the loop in this. Effects can be put after the Filter input stage,but before the Filter. This means the dynamics of the filter are preserved. In the Filter loop is the

Cog T70 triple Octave - 3 channel octaves with its own loop. Two separated T65 octaves which ive set 1 for a clean smooth octave and another for a synthy octave up sound, utilising the filters. It has a third "sub" channel which has no clean just octave. The filters can get this fairly close to the OC2 sound. The loop on this enables "parallel" octave so any effects used have the octave clean underneath, in this loop I have

Crowther Prunes n Custard- very very dynamic and synthy fuzz

Malleko Scrutator - Bit crusher/sample rate reducer - this has a built in static low pass/Hi pass filter, which can be used with expression pedal for filter sweeps. Any control can be assigned to the expression creating very funky/electronic sounds

In series with the T70

Source Audio Gemini Chorus- 6 different sounds to switch between. Set for chorus/flanger/phaser/envelope phaser/resonator. A smorgasbord of modulatory goodness 😂

3 leaf Enabler - Pre amp/DI/headphone amp - primarily used was A very high quality headphone amp (with aux in) due to lockdown. I used to have one before and used as a pre/DI on large tours/theatre pits and sound engineers always remarked on how good the DI was (not something that happens often with these guys😂) so always wanted one back,as when I was last gigging I used IEM and intended to eventually go ampless. It's great for recording to, a very useful pedal.

I've still got a EHX bass big muff nano,not currently on the board,which I'm considering selling,to soften the blow of recent purchases. It's a pedal I've always loved,So may just keep it.

The last of my "greatest hits😂" to buy again will be an MXR bass envelope Filter. Great funky little filter,and different enough to The wonderlove,which is better for synth.

Cheers for staying awake 😂

20200704_212024.jpg

Edited by lee650
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, lee650 said:

Always changing and always evolving! Or in my case,buying back pedals 've already sold because I've realised they were good. Sellers remorse had a terrible thing 😂

Current set up

Cali76 CB - I've tried most of them and love this for versatility while still being intuitive to use. It has fantastic natural tone,which just makes you sound better 

3 leaf Wonderlove envelope Filter- I'm utilising the loop in this. Effects can be put after the Filter input stage,but before the Filter. This means the dynamics of the filtercare preserved. In the Filter is the

Cog T70 triple Octave - 3 channel octaves with its own loop. Two separated T65 octaves which ive set 1 for a clean smooth octave and another for a synthy octave up sound, utilising the filters. It has a third "sub" channel which has no clean just octave. The filters can get this fairly close to the OC2 sound. The loop on this enables "parallel" octave so any effects used have the octave clean underneath, in this loop I have

Crowther Prunes n Custard- very very dynamic and synthy fuzz

Malleko Scrutator - Bit crusher/sample rate reducer - this has a built in static low pass/Hi pass filter, which can be used with expression pedal for filter sweeps. Any control can be assigned to the expression creating very funky/electronic sounds

In series with the T70

Source Audio Gemini Chorus- 6 different sounds to switch between. Set for chorus/flanger/phaser/envelope phaser/resonator. A smorgasbord of modulatory goodness 😂

3 leaf Enabler - Pre amp/DI/headphone amp - primarily used was A very high quality headphone amp (with aux in) due to lockdown. I used to have one before and used as a pre/DI on large tours/theatre pits and sound engineers always remarked on how good the DI was (not something that happens often with these guys😂) so always wanted one back,as when I was last gigging I used IEM and intended to eventually go ampless. It's great for recording to, a very useful pedal.

I've still got a EHX bass big muff nano,not currently on the board,which I'm considering selling,to soften the blow of recent purchases. It's a pedal I've always loved,So may just keep it.

The last of my "greatest hits😂" to buy again will be an MXR bass envelope Filter. Great funky little filter,and different enough to The wonderlove,which is better for synth.

Cheers for staying awake 😂

20200704_212024.jpg

love the t70! killer octave

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 0175westwood29 said:

love the t70! killer octave

Yeah I love it! It's a big pedal,but it replaced a CogT65/Aguilar Octamiser/Valeton OC10 I had on my board at the same time. They were set to do the same thing, so the T70 technically takes less space 😂

I believe you've got one too Andy?