Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

On 21/05/2020 at 20:34, x20xt6 said:

TL:DR, It allows for multi-band compression.

Have you ever set up a compressor so it nicely, gently compresses your G string, only to hit your low E string and have it be compressed to oblivion?

Basically, the Tyler is a High Pass Filter and a Low Pass Filter, with FX loops out of each side. The high pass feeds the Hyper Luminal, only compressing frequencies 550Hz and above. The other feeds the MXR M87, only compressing frequencies 350Hz and below.
By setting it like this, the 12db/Octave roll off of the filters acts as a natural mid cut around 462Hz, which cleans up some mud...just by default of how filters work I guess, but obviously the frequencies are adjustable.
Takes a bit of tinkering to get the settings right, but it works unbelievably well. Hand wired in Germany too, so it's well made! 

Thanks ! I’ll be looking into this more 

Well, it's taken a while but I think I'm done. Famous last words...

Modular set up built around wired IEM. Small board is in always on, in use 100% of the time. I bring the larger effects board to maybe 50% of gigs. 

20200526_135249.thumb.jpg.374488be583b91d837f40f7bd88e5ec8.jpg

Small board is a piece of plywood painted black. Sized so that it fits in a Mono tick bag (attached to bass case).

On the right hand side there is an IEM amp sitting on top of a lehle P-split clone with mute switch (which I made). Also the Cali compressor is on a DIY riser which hides a 18v adapter running out of the Noble.

20200526_133422.thumb.jpg.5b88274a003771073272f442406cabd4.jpg

The main effects board has some unusual features. The blue thing in the top right is a home made patchbay (with IEM pass-through), master power switch, and relay bypass looper with the whole board in the loop. This way I can set up a patch and click it on/off with one tap. It's also a fail safe - if any pedal gremlins appear I can kick the "missile" switch cover to kill the power and and the whole board is automatically bypassed. 

Sitting on the wah pad is an expression pedal for the Xerograph. The Xerograph is in the loop. It's touch sensetive so I can do a filter sweep just by putting my foot on the expression pedal.

The thing in the bottom right is a tap switch for the LFO in the spectrum filter. The button itself is aligned with the tap switch on the tape echo delay so I can set the tempo for both at the same time. 

the little white light above the spectrum is a bluetooth adapter so I can switch to any preset using my phone instantly (and wirelessly).

20200526_133248.thumb.jpg.0a98c4ded6f4512ed10be52a854851cb.jpg

The board itself is powered using a re-purposed Anker battery pack. Battery life is about 6 hours. In a pinch, the aforementioned missile switch unit has an input for a one spot, which is activated when the switch is in the 'down' position. All pedals are on isolated supplies, whether powered by battery or one spot, thanks to a variety of gigrig/joyo adapters. 

20200526_133756.thumb.jpg.d2bb4426cafb61184dd3e42680479817.jpg

When IEMs aren't called for i just plug into my barefaced FR800 or whatever powered monitor is nearest. 

20200526_133702.thumb.jpg.cca1195129a8bb9fc91dc6fcaa6a7566.jpg

Edited by AJ567
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

That IEM amp looks interesting? Is that a home brew? 

No it's a Tasty Blender by rockon audio. It's a small outfit and the website looks sketchy but I ordered one and it's a nice bit of kit, no complaints. 

Just now, AJ567 said:

No it's a Tasty Blender by rockon audio. It's a small outfit and the website looks sketchy but I ordered one and it's a nice bit of kit, no complaints. 

Heading over to look right now. Thanks :)

11 minutes ago, AJ567 said:

Modular set up built around wired IEM. Small board is in always on, in use 100% of the time. I bring the larger effects board to maybe 50% of gigs. 

Small board is a piece of plywood painted black. Sized so that it fits in a Mono tick bag (attached to bass case).

On the right hand side there is an IEM amp sitting on top of a lehle P-split clone with mute switch (which I made). Also the Cali compressor is on a DIY riser which hides a 18v adapter running out of the Noble.

The main effects board has some unusual features. The blue thing in the top right is a home made patchbay (with IEM pass-through), master power switch, and relay bypass looper with the whole board in the loop. This way I can set up a patch and click it on/off with one tap. It's also a fail safe - if any pedal gremlins appear I can kick the "missile" switch cover to kill the power and and the whole board is automatically bypassed. 

Sitting on the wah pad is an expression pedal for the Xerograph. The Xerograph is in the loop. It's touch sensetive so I can do a filter sweep just by putting my foot on the expression pedal.

The thing in the bottom right is a tap switch for the LFO in the spectrum filter. The button itself is aligned with the tap switch on the tape echo delay so I can set the tempo for both at the same time. 

the little white light above the spectrum is a bluetooth adapter so I can switch to any preset using my phone instantly (and wirelessly).

The board itself is powered using a re-purposed Anker battery pack. Battery life is about 6 hours. In a pinch, the aforementioned missile switch unit has an input for a one spot, which is activated when the switch is in the 'down' position. All pedals are on isolated supplies, whether powered by battery or one spot, thanks to a variety of gigrig/joyo adapters. 

When IEMs aren't called for i just plug into my barefaced FR800 or whatever powered monitor is nearest. 

Actually - now I have seen it, I know of the tasty blender - its the blue box that was getting my interest.

3 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Actually - now I have seen it, I know of the tasty blender - its the blue box that was getting my interest.

Ah right, yes that is home brew. It's a patch bay, bypass looper, and an on/off switch for the battery pack. If a one spot is connected then it toggles between one spot and battery power. 

2 hours ago, AJ567 said:

stop-my-penis-ezulzv.jpg

Seriously though, that is an amazingly well thought out and clearly high functioning setup.

I had a very similar input/effect loop/bypass box setup on my last board, and now I hate that I didn't see the opportunity to have the missile launch style switch!

Edited by BruceBass3901
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, BruceBass3901 said:

stop-my-penis-ezulzv.jpg

Seriously though, that is an amazingly well thought out and clearly high functioning setup.

I had a very similar input/effect loop/bypass box setup on my last board, and now I hate that I didn't see the opportunity to have the missile launch style switch!

Thanks very much! Yeah I think having the whole board in a bypass looper makes a lot of sense. Especially because I quite often jump in and out of sounds for just a few notes at a time.

34 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Genius! Love that modular approach.

@AJ567 Is the Noble worth the money? I keep looking at them and then being scared! :D 

Cheers! Hard to say if it worth the money. It sounds fantastic. The way I see it, the preamp is the heart of this kind of set up, so I took a deep breath and bought the best one I can. I sometimes think about how expensive it was and wince a bit. But I know myself well enough to know that if I'd got something else I would always be wondering if the Noble is better, then end up upgrading and spending more in the long run.

On balance I'm comfortable that it is "worth it for me".

• Like 3

Thumpinator just arrived in the post. Thought I’d get one, (mostly for the wah pedal is can go very low) 

also velcroed my earplugs case onto the board so I always have them 

so chain is now:

Tc Polytune > Tc Spectracomp > Wilson mini freaker > Cog Effects Tarkin 66 > thumpinator > EHX small stone. 

918E2245-C269-4AF4-858C-C798F2576FFF.thumb.jpeg.b77acb5a5bd017a00a68d72b6a5bd998.jpeg

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, simon88wilson said:

Thumpinator just arrived in the post. Thought I’d get one, (mostly for the wah pedal is can go very low) 

also velcroed my earplugs case onto the board so I always have them 

so chain is now:

Tc Polytune > Tc Spectracomp > Wilson mini freaker > Cog Effects Tarkin 66 > thumpinator > EHX small stone. 

918E2245-C269-4AF4-858C-C798F2576FFF.thumb.jpeg.b77acb5a5bd017a00a68d72b6a5bd998.jpeg

What is the rationale behind having the Small Stone after the Thumpinator?

9 minutes ago, simon88wilson said:

To be honest it was more convenient to wire it up this way. I will probably swap it to fully end of the chain. 

Also worth putting it at very the start of the chain: it'll take out all the low end crud so the rest of your pedals are acting just on a cleaned up signal. 

PS btw putting at the start is Max's recommendation too - he's the guy who makes the Thumpinators. 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

Yeah I had read that I thought putting it later would help with the low end of the filter on the freaker wah which is based on the parapedal. Or is it a case of if it’s taken out earlier it won’t be there later? 

Edited by simon88wilson

28 minutes ago, simon88wilson said:

Yeah I had read that I thought putting it later would help with the low end of the filter on the freaker wah which is based on the parapedal. Or is it a case of if it’s taken out earlier it won’t be there later? 

What's the concern with the low end of the freaker wah (I've not had the pleasure of using one!) - is it generating a bunch of additional low end signal? 

Probably worth trying the Thumpinator in both positions then and seeing which delivers the best result. 

1 hour ago, simon88wilson said:

as you rock the pedal backwards it goes into a sub bass territory. I’ll try it both ways and see which way works. Thanks for the advice! 

Let us know which way around works best - be interesting to hear!

• Like 1