Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

20 hours ago, GisserD said:

Can you explain how the minotaur is incorporated in the signal chain please?

Minitaur runs separate / parallel to my bass. I use one of the Boss LS-2 inputs & adjust the A/B volume pots to balance the levels. Works like a treat with no volume drops when playing both. I control the minitaur with the kmi 12 step.

Bass signal path is

BASS > THORPYFX FAT GENERAL >

DARKGLASS X7 > WEELUSHFX ABY > MOOG MF DELAY

or 

DARKGLASS X7 parallel out > HOTONE TUNER > MOOG MF FLANGE > WEELUSHFX ABY > MOOG MF DELAY

> BOOS LS-2 (mixed in parallel with MOOG MINITAUR)

Other pedal is a BRIGHTONION TRAILS LOOPER for the MOOG DELAY to have spillover / trails after disengaging delay. I also put a Zander Circuitry Little Monster  momentary trs switch to ramp the self oscillating feature of the MOOG DELAY :)

Hope that all makes sense :)

Edited by sifi2112

• 2 weeks later...

Here we go then. This is not the final board (is it ever?) but for now I've got:

Compressor > COG 66 > LS-2 (loop goes through the Future Impact) > Zoom (only used for the A-Filter effect) > Chorus > TU-3 > VT Bass DI. 

I've got the LS-2 so that I don't squish the Future Impact's rotary encoder. Eventually I'll rehouse the FI in a Future Compact enclosure, and also add a homemade patch up/down MIDI footswitch so the FI can just stay out of the way of my clumsy feet. Also I'll put the COG after it - it's only where it is because of the cable lengths I currently have to hand. 

One day I'll replace the Zoom with a dedicated filter, but it actually sounds way better than I thought it would. Not sure what to replace it with... Spectrum maybe?

32A25A89-14D4-4961-883E-B6A9CC3888D0.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, reesource said:

Here we go then. This is not the final board (is it ever?) but for now I've got:

Compressor > COG 66 > LS-2 (loop goes through the Future Impact) > Zoom (only used for the A-Filter effect) > Chorus > TU-3 > VT Bass DI. 

I've got the LS-2 so that I don't squish the Future Impact's rotary encoder. Eventually I'll rehouse the FI in a Future Compact enclosure, and also add a homemade patch up/down MIDI footswitch so the FI can just stay out of the way of my clumsy feet. Also I'll put the COG after it - it's only where it is because of the cable lengths I currently have to hand. 

One day I'll replace the Zoom with a dedicated filter, but it actually sounds way better than I thought it would. Not sure what to replace it with... Spectrum maybe?

Ooh, that’s the first v3 FI I’ve seen in someone’s board!

2 hours ago, reesource said:

Spectrum/C4 is a good multi-filter. If you want a single filter then the Mu-Tron Micro-Tron IV sounds wonderful. It has very limited controls but is a lush-sounding filter.

Also, get a MIDI controller for the FI - it puts it into another league entirely. Morningstar MC6 is super-compact and very powerful whilst being a doddle to program and use. 

2 hours ago, prowla said:

Them pesky SansAmps which are the wrong way round!

QjVOxo2.jpg

Mine is usually not sideways - just need to dig out some different length patch leads to make it work. It's either that, or design a replacement top graphic so it looks like it's meant to be that way round!

9 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Spectrum/C4 is a good multi-filter. If you want a single filter then the Mu-Tron Micro-Tron IV sounds wonderful. It has very limited controls but is a lush-sounding filter.

Also, get a MIDI controller for the FI - it puts it into another league entirely. Morningstar MC6 is super-compact and very powerful whilst being a doddle to program and use. 

I know, I know... But I just don't need that kind of functionality. It would be fun but completely unnecessary!

11 hours ago, reesource said:

I know, I know... But I just don't need that kind of functionality. It would be fun but completely unnecessary!

Even just using it to change patches, adjust volumes and switch the tuner on remotely is pretty cool. You can use it to kill the dry bass in an octaver patch, play chords, change LFO speed, morph sounds within a patch (lots of my released sounds do this), add pitch and filter vibrato. I’m sure you’d find creative ways to use it.   

Edited by Quatschmacher

9 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

Even just using it to change patches, adjust volumes and switch the tuner on remotely is pretty cool. You can use it to kill the dry bass in an octaver patch, play chords, change LFO speed, morph sounds within a patch (lots of my released sounds so this), add pitch and filter vibrato. I’m sure you’d find creative ways to use it.   

Have to agree, my MC6 controls so much on my board it is ridiculous(ly important).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, reesource said:

One day I'll replace the Zoom with a dedicated filter, but it actually sounds way better than I thought it would.

I'd keep it. All my pedal board set ups have that handy little box of tricks on it. Some of the effects are way better than people expect them to be and it does so much. I always seem to find a use for it. 

• Like 1

On 14/02/2020 at 21:05, Quatschmacher said:

Is yours free of the chattering noise? I’ve sent mine in for replacement/modification as Dunlop were offering to add the resistor mod that is now standard.  

Sorry, completely missed this. I have heard no chattering noise with mine?! Presumably there isn't anything on that video that speaks to what you mean? (and that I might have subconsciously filtered out of my hearing).

But no, I think the MXR is excellent. I'll forever be an OC2 where I can, but the MXR does an excellent OC2 impression for the size, and the exact reason I'm using it here.

Si

On 14/02/2020 at 01:08, Sibob said:

My new ‘fly board’:

CEB96250-721D-4CCE-BA87-544C12AF358F.thumb.jpeg.09610a05bce5281816f6c165dc40daed.jpeg

Trickfish Minnow -> Mooer Envelope -> MXR Vintage Octave -> TC Flashback -> TC Tuner

The Mooer is temporary while someone makes a decent 1590a Bass Filter. 
The Flashback is running a Chorus Toneprint, which is actually very good!

All on a Pedaltrain Nano and powered by a Cioks DC5 underneath. Very cool as gives me 4x isolated 9v and 1x isolated 12v for the Minnow!

EC9E5AD2-B39C-4368-9F6C-35BBB35B7BF8.thumb.jpeg.37b9e7ab5ffeecd8b0106dbaf03d09ef.jpeg

Si

Can you say something about the Minnow?

How does it compare to an API tranzformer or basscis bpa?

I am looking for a clean, dynamic pedal preamp that sounds musical...

3 hours ago, xroads said:

Can you say something about the Minnow?

How does it compare to an API tranzformer or basscis bpa?

I am looking for a clean, dynamic pedal preamp that sounds musical...

I'm afraid I can't comment on the API Tranzformer or Basscis bpa, but I would absolutely describe the Minnow as clean and musical, in fact, they're the two big reasons why I bought it. As well as really being onboard with the ethos of Trickfish, where they've come from (lots of design elements from Mike Pope etc), lovely bunch of people running that company!

I would have bought a Trickfish amp, but they're a bit chunky for me at the moment, so instead I bought a smaller power amp (GR Bass Preamp 800), and will run my bass through either my Minnow or Noble (on a different board) depending on the the gig and bass I'm using.

Cheers
Si

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sibob said:

I'm afraid I can't comment on the API Tranzformer or Basscis bpa, but I would absolutely describe the Minnow as clean and musical, in fact, they're the two big reasons why I bought it. As well as really being onboard with the ethos of Trickfish, where they've come from (lots of design elements from Mike Pope etc), lovely bunch of people running that company!

I would have bought a Trickfish amp, but they're a bit chunky for me at the moment, so instead I bought a smaller power amp (GR Bass Preamp 800), and will run my bass through either my Minnow or Noble (on a different board) depending on the the gig and bass I'm using.

Cheers
Si

Real nice set up. I like the power brick too. I’ve got a Strymon Ojai which is too tall of course.

so is the GRBass Preamp 800 just a power amp then?

48 minutes ago, thebassist said:

Real nice set up. I like the power brick too. I’ve got a Strymon Ojai which is too tall of course.

so is the GRBass Preamp 800 just a power amp then?

Yeah, literally a gain control (so can take a bass direct), and a volume. Perfect for putting a preamp (such as the Trickfish or Noble) in front of it 🙂

Si

9 hours ago, Sibob said:

Yeah, literally a gain control (so can take a bass direct), and a volume. Perfect for putting a preamp (such as the Trickfish or Noble) in front of it 🙂

Si

Hmm interesting Si - thanks for this.

Sorry for being a dummy but I guess you can run your pure amp 800 without a preamp if you wanted to? Just no bass/treble/high mid/low mid control right?

I got a Helix Stomp a bit ago and then decided to build a small board around it with existing boardless pedals. 

I’m using a Nano + with a Cioks DC7 powering a Radial Tonebone Bassbone, Korg Pitch Black tuner and the HX Stomp. 

I can’t believe the cost of the board set up has probably matched the Stomp. I had the Radial Tonebone and Korg tuner already, but boards, power supplies and patch cables (buying a few different sorts to fit) have somewhat surprised me by how much they all add up to.

I have really enjoyed it, not actually put it together yet, I’ll do it when I’ve got a spare couple of hours lol.

Pics up when I’m done 👍🏼

HYPOCRITE ALERT - Up until recently I was happy to have my fluctuating, modest collection of pedals, stuck to a humble piece of MDF. After 35 years of playing in bands, I finally caved in and bought a pedalboard. This is is the musical equivalent of buying a bed after sleeping on a mattress on the floor, I guess. After a false start with a Pedaltrain that was lovely, but too big for my needs, I settled on a Warwick Rockboard, which was perfect and I highly recommend them. My sad collection of gizmos is powered by a Harley Benton Power Plant Junior, which does a great job, very quietly. If you're looking to power more than five pedals however, you're going to come unstuck, as it doesn't push much power out, but fortunately, it copes well with the stuff on my board. I even found room for the tin for my spare batteries, a plectrum holder and a clock. Like Flavor Flav, I always need to know what time it is...

The BDI 21 is used as a drive pedal and works a treat. Although there's a tuner on the Zoom, I prefer the Pitchblack as it doubles as a killswitch.

The revelation was the Rockboard - very sturdy, great design and the soft case it came with is really well made. 

board new.jpg

Edited by rushbo
  • Like 3