Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

1 hour ago, GisserD said:

In short yes. If you have the will to do so, the manta filters can be replaced by the c4. I really like to create sounds on the fly so the manta stays for now, but if your midi enabled and happy to program from the app/computer then your not loosing anything in my opinion.

I think the only complication would be that I run the Manta after the ES5 and rely on MIDI completely, whereas the PS6, I have in a loop and sometimes run in front of a bitcrusher and sometimes near the end of the chain, before the Manta. I'd need to think a bit about the number of available loops and how this would affect pedal order.

4 hours ago, Wilco said:

I tried it for the first time at a gig last Saturday night. It was on for probably longer than that & was rock solid throughout.

What brick were you using? In my research it seemed that the Strymon kit was particularly good (& also very quiet).

The vicos one - actually one of 2, but it is also powering some other things, and I think it is too much.

The problem with a split power input like that on an isolated supply is that no voltage is perfect, so one of the sides will provide slightly more power than the other, and then at some point if your PSU is already flat out, one side shuts down because it is too hot leaving the other one to do all the work, which doesn't last long.

Probably need to run two psus.

4 hours ago, Wilco said:

I guess it also depends on what else is on your board drawing power - with my set up, very little.

You’re right, they do need to make a new power supply for the HX. Construction wise it’s terrible - mine kept coming apart within a couple of weeks of buying it (brand new). 

Yeh, the uk plug comes off as it is only held on one side, a bit of a poor design

15 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

Have you tried the one from the legacy effects? That one's not bad, but still no Octamizer I agree!

Simple pitch. But agreed, my octamizer is going nowhere either.

Edited by GisserD

2 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

Have you tried the one from the legacy effects? That one's not bad, but still no Octamizer I agree!

That’s the one i’m referring to actually. It sounds ‘OK’. Sounds awful if you take out the clean signal, whereas the Octamizer sounds great!

2 hours ago, Higgie said:

That’s the one i’m referring to actually. It sounds ‘OK’. Sounds awful if you take out the clean signal, whereas the Octamizer sounds great!

I think I’ll end up using the HX one for my 50/50 octaver and my MXR (for now) for the no dry signal octave. Maybe get a 3 Leaf

Edited by nash

This was Saturday's offering. I seem to be changing my board every time I play. No not seem to be - I am changing my board every week. Think I've finally grasped it. Don't buy hundreds of amps cabs and guitars - you'll not use more than a fraction of them. But buying, selling and trading pedals makes all sorts of sense. Comparitively inexpensive and you can use twenty at one gig (if you so desire of course). Anyhow I give you my modular system, the T-Bone:

774458931_TBone.thumb.jpg.2009693749b48b8c1c8e5fdfb24843c3.jpg

I actually prefer having two or three smaller boards over one giant one. I prefer making a few trips with lighter bags than one ungainly heavy case case. Makes loading a small car easier too. I have a cunning plan for making on stage assembly much quicker. A row of 1/4" sockets on the back edge of the top board with cables coming up through the board terminating in flat plugs.

Ultimimately I'd rather like another TPM. Once you've gone parallel you never want to go back.

Edited by stewblack
  • Like 1

I love threads like this - it makes me feel so virtuous that I have never bought an fx pedal in my 45 years of playing bass! 

I did once try my bass through a (guitarist) friend's flanger to see if it would reproduce the sound Mike Howlett got on Nik Turner's 'Xit into Day' album. It didn't. That was at least 40 years ago and I've never tried one since.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

I love threads like this - it makes me feel so virtuous that I have never bought an fx pedal in my 45 years of playing bass! 

I did once try my bass through a (guitarist) friend's flanger to see if it would reproduce the sound Mike Howlett got on Nik Turner's 'Xit into Day' album. It didn't. That was at least 40 years ago and I've never tried one since.

I'm genuinely interested.... not trolling I promise! But why is someone who has never used effects, browsing (and replying) to a fx thread????

I ask because I'm an addict and want to explore strategy on how to get clean. The first step on the road to recovery and all that :)

On 27/10/2019 at 08:13, GisserD said:

Simple pitch. But agreed, my octamizer is going nowhere either.

I completely agree! After a recent reshuffle of my board, I decided to stop using 3 octavers and get 1 that does it all. I bought another octamizer! Which is now my third 😂

1 hour ago, FinnDave said:

Wot no compressor? In 40 years? And no one's noticed (and you still love playing bass)? 😂

4 minutes ago, lee650 said:

I completely agree! After a recent reshuffle of my board, I decided to stop using 3 octavers and get 1 that does it all. I bought another octamizer! Which is now my third 😂

Glad I'm not the only numpty who's on his third iteration of the same pedal! 😊

1 hour ago, GisserD said:

I'm genuinely interested.... not trolling I promise! But why is someone who has never used effects, browsing (and replying) to a fx thread????

I ask because I'm an addict and want to explore strategy on how to get clean. The first step on the road to recovery and all that :)

If you ever recover and get clean, that surely means that my future is bleak: full of bland sounds and Delano pups :facepalm:

Here's the latest update of my board. I've added a Mooer bass sweeper as I was feeling nostalgic for the original bassballs I had years ago

pedalboard.JPG.3e6b44bfe6a4348c4d895a90d2767e91.JPG

To add the new pedal I moved the caline power thingy to the back and tidied up the cabling - including cutting a pair of the jack cables in half and soldering a new pancake connector to the cut end of each to make four very short cables.

pedalboard-back.JPG.217c9db8411fe981ba9fe0fde7c162b3.JPG

The sweeper is great. I found it worked best as the first pedal before the thumpinator & spectracomp. It can make same weird  noises I remember my old bassballs doing but can also make some very usable sounds - now to convince the band to do a cover of the (Detroit) Spinners's rubberband man so I can make some funky noises with it.

• Like 2