Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

Just now, GisserD said:

my guess is that its digital, and it actually "learns" the noise in the signal. i had a plugin that did somthing similar once (L6 gearbox) it was very effective

*edit. i came to this conclusion as its really power hungry.

I assumed analog but I don't actually know, it only needs 40ma.

Here is a good thread which comments on the noise reduction whilst playing e.t.c.

https://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=194020

1 hour ago, Kev said:

Thank god for that!

I think there are a few schools of thought on splitter boxes really.  Quality may be the key?

The Darkglass parallel out is just a simple passive splitter. It’ll better than most cheapo jack adapters due to the fact it’ll be better shielded due to being in a metal box.

But because it’s not buffered or isolated in any way, your main signal could be affected depending on what kind of pedal you plug into the parallel output. But mostly you’ll be fine and not notice anything!

1 hour ago, GisserD said:

*edit. i came to this conclusion as its really power hungry.

My money is still on the fact it’s just a really well engineered regular noise gate. With a cool AF name and design! Filtering noise without tone suck is a tricky business (remember the Dolby button on cassette players?). Also 40mA is quite low for a digital pedal, most are in the 100mA ballpark.

4 hours ago, stewblack said:

Speaking in the layest of layman's terms, is a noise gate like an upside down compressor? 

I was hoping someone more expert than me was going to revert on Stew's query, but here goes:

I personally wouldn't describe it as an inverted compressor, because a compressor is typically acting on both the peaks and troughs of a signal, but more an inverted limiter (which I accept is a type of compressor); whereas a limiter cuts the signal above a certain threshold to limit peaks (e.g to protect your speakers and / or stop you sounding like a Richard mid-set if your hand decides to take on a life of its own), a noise gate stops any signal getting through until it reaches a certain threshold level e.g. to prevent annoying white and / or dirt-pedal noise.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

My money is still on the fact it’s just a really well engineered regular noise gate. With a cool AF name and design! Filtering noise without tone suck is a tricky business (remember the Dolby button on cassette players?). Also 40mA is quite low for a digital pedal, most are in the 100mA ballpark.

I still think it’s Analog...have you seen something somewhere saying Digital? Not that it matters in the slightest, but power consumption is very low for digital, and the fact the manufacture refers to it as “power hungry” seems to indicate it’s analog, as I don’t think anyone could say 40ma is power hungry for digital. The Sentry is 100, for example.

Just to be clear though, it does 100% remove noise around the note, you still seem to be doubting it 😂 I’ll try and record a sound clip at some point to demonstrate.

Yes, it'll likely be analog. The reason I'm sceptical about it removing noise from the actual note is that I know how difficult that would be to achieve from an engineering perspective, and the maker only refers to it being a noise gate. All noise gates work on the same principal of only letting the signal through when it's over a certain level. The better ones are finely tuned in their response time so that your ears don't detect the noise as the note decays. Usually that's the only time you'll hear  the noise, so if the Zuul clamps down really quickly and efficiently, it'll seem as if the noise has disappeared entirely.

Noise reduction to remove the noise completely though, is a whole other ball game. It usually relies on digital trickery, much like noise cancelling headphones. It's much more advanced and would be a pedal first as far as I know!

Like I say, it doesn’t remove the noise completely, so yes it is likely just that it’s very efficient...or it’s magic.  End result is all I am concerned about, and end result is a very clean (well, no, but you know what I mean!) high gain sound that sustains throughout the natural decay of the note, as well as the basic muted noise gating action you’d expect.  I love it 🙂

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MarshallBTB said:

Nice. How do you find the wireless? 

The wireless is the audio teechnica system 10, and works exactly like it should. No drop outs, unless I’ve moved so far away that the time delay of the sound from the amp makes things unplayable anyway.  They are discontinued now; I notice that the next generation of wireless stomp boxes are more compact.

• 2 weeks later...

A few changes on and off my board, since my last post on here a couple of months back. 

Final piece of the jigsaw, the Boss SY-1 arrived earlier today and is sitting snugly in it's place, giving my board a smug 'finished' feel to it (famous last words!) The SY-1 tracks like a deer hunter. I'm venison-ly happy 😊

PB - 1908.jpg

For any of you interested in the signal chain, it's as follows:

BASS 

‘Clean’ input

• Smoothhound (wireless)
  • Thumpinator (hpf)
  • Becos Stella (comp)
  • Boss SY1 (synth)

Early mid-board: drive / fuzz

• Grizzly Bass (analogue)
  • SA Aftershock (digital)
  • Mastotron (gated fuzz)
  • Red Ripper (ungated fuzz)

Late mid-board: filters

• SA Manta (digital)
  • 3Leaf GR2 (analogue)

End board: modulation / delay

• Digitech Mosaic (octave up)
  • HX Stomp (multifx +DI +headphone amp)

AMP

Total power draw, excluding the Stomp which has it's own PSU, is 1.3A and all powered by a MXR IsoBrick under the board.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Al Krow said:

A few changes on and off my board, since my last post on here a couple of months back. 

Final piece of the jigsaw, the Boss SY-1 arrived earlier today and is sitting snugly in it's place, giving my board a smug 'finished' feel to it (famous last words!) The SY-1 tracks like a deer hunter. I'm venison-ly happy 😊

PB - 1908.jpg

For any of you interested in the signal chain, it's as follows:

BASS 

‘Clean’ input

• Smoothhound (wireless)
  • Thumpinator (hpf)
  • Becos Stella (comp)
  • Boss SY1 (synth)

Early mid-board: drive / fuzz

• Grizzly Bass (analogue)
  • SA Aftershock (digital)
  • Mastotron (gated fuzz)
  • Red Ripper (ungated fuzz)

Late mid-board: filters

• SA Manta (digital)
  • 3Leaf GR2 (analogue)

End board: modulation / delay

• Digitech Mosaic (octave up)
  • HX Stomp (multifx +DI +headphone amp)

AMP

Total power draw, excluding the Stomp which has it's own PSU, is 1.3A and all powered by a MXR IsoBrick under the board.

Just recently joined BC and have been perusing some amazing set ups you guys have! Particularly appreciated you taking the time to set out your signal chain @Al Krow - really helps make sense of the board and why it's been set up as it has. See that you're a bit of a fan of drive and fuzz pedals, that's quite a hoard! 😀

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 31/08/2019 at 13:52, Reaper said:

Just recently joined BC and have been perusing some amazing set ups you guys have! Particularly appreciated you taking the time to set out your signal chain @Al Krow - really helps make sense of the board and why it's been set up as it has. See that you're a bit of a fan of drive and fuzz pedals, that's quite a hoard! 😀

4 pedals for drive and fuzz seems quite standard 😉😉 Okay kidding a little bit, I only have 3 fuzzes (+ a clean boost in between to get some extra girth out of them). But I sure want more!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kamiel said:

4 pedals for drive and fuzz seems quite standard 😉😉 Okay kidding a little bit, I only have 3 fuzzes (+ a clean boost in between to get some extra girth out of them). But I sure want more!

Haha - I know what you mean! Actually if we include his HX Stomp and the fact that SA Aftershock is really a drive multifx, Al Krow is on at least 5 and potentially up to as many as 50+ different drives. Now that is a hoard, agreed? 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Few additions to the setup. Not wired up the power yet but its all running off a Walrus Audio Phoenix mounted underneath the board. The RTG and Echobrain at the top right are linked in a loop to the LS2 which I use for a creepy intro / outro to the bands set. 

The position of the Diamond compressor kinda annoys me but the large ends on the mogami cables force me to do it. Its always-on and I never fiddle with it so whatever. 

The STOP tin at the top contains my ear protection and reminds me to STOP playing too many notes... 

IMG_20190904_233820__01.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My board as it stands now! Everything except the comp and chorus (multi programmed with various chorus/flange/phasers) is in the T70 loop so the octave is totally clean underneath. The scrutator also has a moog expression for filter/bit crush sweeps 😁

Chain is 

EBS Multicomp set at multiband so the highs are compressed more than the lows

Cog T70 octave set for channel 1 a clean octave sound with a deep filter setting and a hint of octave up. Chsnnel two filter set for a synthy buzzy octave with the dirty octave up at unison vol and the clean signal taken out, very synthy. The sub control set to sound as near as possible to rhe classic OC2 setting, is say it's 90% there😁

In the t70 loop 

Malleko scrutator (bit crush/sample rate reduction/filter wah)

Boba fuzz (Mastatron clone, with a much heavier gate)

MXR Bass Envelope filter 

EHX enigma Qballs (set for low pass filter and a downsweep, I don't use the distortion)

Custom cog grand Tarkin Fuzz

In series wirh the T70 

Source Audio Gemini Chorus (set as above)

Currently looking at adding a nice overdrive,but space is limited 😁

20190910_200428.jpg

Edited by lee650
  • Like 7

On 18/02/2018 at 18:27, haraszo said:

New board is finally complete. Powerful and portable.

signal chain:

cali 76 > providence BFX-1 (L1: Boss OC-2 octaver / L2: Chase Bliss Audio Brothers / L3: RMI Basswitch Sonic Spark / L4: Strymon Mobius) > TC Polytune mini