Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

50 minutes ago, javi_bassist said:

Two LS2??

The 1st LS2 has chain A empty for my clean blend, chain B is the 2nd LS2 which has the animato and big muff running parallel so i can use them both with extreme settings without getting any noise  

• Like 1

I've finally finished the board inside my head!! I'm really proud and it sounds really good.

TC Electronic Polytune 2-->Pigtronix Philosopher Bass Compressor-->MXR Octave Deluxe-->Boss LS-2-->HPF-->LPF-->Aguilar Tone Hammer

Boss LS-2-->EHX Big Muff-->Ampeg Scrambler-->Line 6 M5-->Boss LS-2

Pedalboard.jpg

Edited by javi_bassist
  • Like 2

IMG_20190806_151538.thumb.jpg.ea0c5555c11c9b43486a259892de1606.jpg

Very much a work in progress still. Great fun trying different combinations. The possibilities are apparently endless. I'm currently trying three different auto wah/envelopes to decide which one does what I'm after. Although actually the options on the B3 are coming out best so all three may all be gone soon. 

The Markbass and American Sound pedals also do very similar things so I may end up with one or other rather than both. 

The little graphic is perfect so that stays. It plays nicely with the Valeton octave to get my preferred synthy sound. When I get my tri parallel mixer I'll probably get a second graphic so one can live with the octave in its own loop and the other can work independently. The frequency choices are bang on, and it takes up no space 

• Like 2

Okay, I overspent on a noise gate. Or did I? This thing is incredible. I can’t get my head around how a pedal can remove white noise as you are playing in a signal in real time...maybe I’m just behind on noise gate tech 😂

• Like 1

I thought it was pretty much a regular noise gate, i.e. it shuts off the signal unless it reaches a certain threshold. So it only cuts noise out when you are not playing, and when you are playing, you just don't notice the noise because your instrument masks it?

26 minutes ago, GisserD said:

It appears not, 

the demo at the start of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tnbvN6BXVw video, defo demonstrates taht the noise is not there when playing.

It does look good, but (i) you need to combine it with a signal splitter - query whether that is going to lead to any signal loss in your chain (ii) put it through your amps effects' loop rather than: simply plug and play as part of your standard chain and into your amp's pre, and (iii) part with north of £200, which is likely to be OTT for many of us.

Edited by Al Krow

27 minutes ago, GisserD said:

It appears not, 

the demo at the start of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tnbvN6BXVw video, defo demonstrates taht the noise is not there when playing.

Indeed, huge difference with high gain.  Previously couldn't really use my two Darkglass units together high gain as there was just too much noise in the signal, however now that's out the equation there are a ton of usable tones in there.

Key input sets it apart too, one of those feature you don't understand why all gates don't have.  Same with Envelope Filters having a similar thing for use with fuzz pedals etc.

13 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

It does look good, but (i) you need to combine it with a signal splitter - query whether that is going to lead to any signal loss in your chain (ii) put it through your amps effects' loop rather than: simply plug and play as part of your standard chain and into your amp's pre, and (iii) part with north of £200, which is likely to be OTT for many of us.

My X7 has a parallel out that I use for the Key Input, which is ideal but not everyone has that option I guess.  I don't use it in an effects loop, can't stand them, it isn't necessary.  Also not suitable, I need my gate before two pedals on my board for various reasons, and I DI out to FoH from my board, loop will mainly be for guitarists using their head for gain..  But yes, its $$$!

Edited by Kev

Later on in that vid though, I can definitely hear noise in the background whilst playing, it is of course hard to pick out though as the guitar is so loud. To filter noise from the actual signal whilst playing would be on another level above everyone else, and they would surely be shouting about it from the hilltops!

The key input is a good addition above simple 2-jack noise gates, but many these days have an effects loop which achieves exactly the same thing but without needing to split your signal separately.

BTW you don’t necessarily need a dedicated pedal to split the signal, you could use a double jack adaptor or cable splitter. The parallel out on the X7 is hard wired to the input jack, so no different to using one of those in terms of wiring connections!

Edited by dannybuoy

2 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

BTW you don’t necessarily need a dedicated pedal to split the signal, you could use a double jack adaptor or cable splitter.

Agreed but with any of the options aren't you, by definition, diluting and thereby losing / degrading some of your signal?

Edited by Al Krow

3 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

Later on in that vid though, I can definitely hear noise in the background whilst playing, it is of course hard to pick out though as the guitar is so loud. To filter noise from the actual signal whilst playing would be on another level above everyone else, and they would surely be shouting about it from the hilltops!

The key input is a good addition above simple 2-jack noise gates, but many these days have an effects loop which achieves exactly the same thing but without needing to split your signal separately.

BTW you don’t necessarily need a dedicated pedal to split the signal, you could use a double jack adaptor or cable splitter. The parallel out on the X7 is hard wired to the input jack, so no different to using one of those in terms of wiring connections!

Of course, it doesn’t eliminate it entirely as that would almost certainly impact to some degree on the wet signal, but it certainly does remove a lot of the noise whilst playing! Best way of telling is playing really softly; on a normal noise gate, with the threshold set right, playing light will give you all the white noise as well as the light playing as the gate is open, whereas with the Zuul it’s cancelling much of the white noise out so you can actually here the soft playing. You’ll have to let their marketing department know 😉

There is a reason why they are raved about, but yeah it’s a lot of money.  I got a good deal on mine, they’re otherwise around £250 to get one here, on a good day.

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

Agreed but with any of the options aren't you, by definition, diluting and thereby losing / degrading some of your signal?

Ideally you’d use a buffered splitter, otherwise you could get undesired results such as if the split gets sent to 2 devices with wildly different impedances. But in reality you can usually get away perfectly fine without one - Darkglass seem to think it’s OK to hardwire their parallel out to the input and I doubt they get many complaints about it!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dannybuoy said:

Darkglass seem to think it’s OK to hardwire their parallel out to the input and I doubt they get many complaints about it!

tbf - I'm not sure the DG fanboys are ever inclined to complain about any of their gear 😁

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

tbf - I'm not sure the DG fanboys are ever inclined to complain about any of their gear 😁

Wait - are you suggesting using a parallel out on a pedal degrades the primary output signal??? 😶

Just now, Kev said:

Wait - are you suggesting using a parallel out on a pedal degrades the primary output signal??? 😶

Nope - I was merely querying whether splitting a signal => signal loss (aka degradation)

Happy to be told that is not correct! 

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

Nope - I was merely querying whether splitting a signal => signal loss (aka degradation)

Happy to be told that is not correct! 

Thank god for that!

I think there are a few schools of thought on splitter boxes really.  Quality may be the key?

Edited by Kev

25 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

my guess is that its digital, and it actually "learns" the noise in the signal. i had a plugin that did somthing similar once (L6 gearbox) it was very effective