Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

Ha well that's what happens when all your cables are cable tied and you can't be bothered to undo them just to try a new pedal! I was actually really blown away by the Proton, I know I prefer the Xerograph because of its' tweakability and expression control, but it's just so musical and intuitive. May have to stay anyway, though we'll see. I'd gladly trade it for an Analogman Mini Chorus w/deep mod or an Oxide.

[quote name='lxxwj' timestamp='1330384067' post='1556751']
Eskimo, that is a beautiful setup you have there. Some day I'll be using that same PT Jr. too.. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

You say PT jr now... you'll end up on something bigger like a Diago Tourman before you know it! I sure as hell did and have only just been able to convince myself to downsize. I only got a smaller board before because taking a massive board to university and on public transport wasn't feasible.

Just finished the X-Blender, Octamizer, and Filter Twin for my Virtual board project:

I'll be uploading all the pedals I do [url="http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b341/Higgie123/Bass%20Stuff/Pedal%20Templates/Pedals/"]here[/url], in case anything I've made is of any use to anyone else!

Edited by Higgie

[quote name='lxxwj' timestamp='1330431465' post='1557278']
Higgie those are awesome! :D *wishing I had artistic skill*
[/quote]

Haha cheers mate!
[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1330431830' post='1557288']
Yup - impressive mate. Fancy putting my board together in pictures? See you in a few years :)
[/quote]

I'd love to! It'd be a challenge! You'd have to take LOTS of measurements for me ;)

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1330637887' post='1560954']
Just received my TC Electronic Nova Delay (iB Modified edition). WOW! I think my Boss DD-20 just got replaced!!
[/quote]
What's the difference between that and the normal Nova Delay? Couldn't really figure it out from the TC website..

Oh so basically it has better bypass. Couldn't you just use your massive true bypass switcher system for that? :P

Edited by lxxwj

[quote name='oGREENYo' timestamp='1330632131' post='1560823']
The latest incarnation:

Don't think there's room for any more!
[/quote]

That's a tidy board. Next purchase might be a bigger board so you can get more pedals? :lol:

Neither could I! The bumpf about it is a bit rubbish.

Basically it's a few tonal tweaks. From what I can tell those differences are very minor on a bass but stand out a little more with high end sound sources. I would describe the digital delay settings of the iB Mod version to have more attack and be a little choppier (though analogue and tape settings seem to be the same), also the modulation settings seem to be crisper and more refined. They are quite minor though! I'm told the panning and ping pong settings are the most changed versions but as I'll be using it in mono it doesn't effect me. I imagine the 'regular' version would impress me just as much.

I'm not sure but I think the standard version only outputs tempo in milliseconds too (I forgot to check when I played them both) where as the iB version has MS and BPM options.

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' timestamp='1330640579' post='1561007']
Nice board - what is the signal chain/pedal list?

What connectors are you using , it looks unfeasibly tidy to me!
[/quote]

Thanks; I mostly made my own connectors using the 'pancake' type jack plugs to maximize space. It's all powered with a gigrig generator and 2 distributors. The signal chain is:

Bass>MultiComp (always on)>BOD>QTron>BassBalls>Pork Loin>BBM>Hairy Beaver (homemade Woolly Mammoth Clone)>LS-2 with Guv'nor in one loop and the M5 in the other (I use mix mode all the time and use a kill switch in each loop - black box under LS-2 - this way I can mix either effect with clean/each other or on their own). From the LS-2>Chorus>EP Booster (pretty much always on)>Malekko Ekko>VT Bass (always on)>amp.

The box on the bottom right is used to switch the VP-JR between being a standard volume before the board or sending the bass direct to the board and using the VP=JR as an EXP for the M5. It is also the input to the board.

[quote name='oGREENYo' timestamp='1330641588' post='1561024']

Thanks; I mostly made my own connectors using the 'pancake' type jack plugs to maximize space. It's all powered with a gigrig generator and 2 distributors. The signal chain is:

Bass>MultiComp (always on)>BOD>QTron>BassBalls>Pork Loin>BBM>Hairy Beaver (homemade Woolly Mammoth Clone)>LS-2 with Guv'nor in one loop and the M5 in the other (I use mix mode all the time and use a kill switch in each loop - black box under LS-2 - this way I can mix either effect with clean/each other or on their own). From the LS-2>Chorus>EP Booster (pretty much always on)>Malekko Ekko>VT Bass (always on)>amp.

The box on the bottom right is used to switch the VP-JR between being a standard volume before the board or sending the bass direct to the board and using the VP=JR as an EXP for the M5. It is also the input to the board.
[/quote]

Very nice!!

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1330683892' post='1561414']
New blog post a few of you may enjoy:

[url="http://www.sheponbass.co.uk/blog/2012/3/1/signal-chain-basics-part-ii.html"]Shep on Bass: Signal Chain Basics, Part II[/url]
[/quote]

Great reading Shep! I also use my comp in the end (signal path on my sig) and find it's the best place for it to tame all the spikes generated by the fx. I use the EBS because it doesn't add (much, i suppose) volume to to signal when you play softer so that helps keeping my dynamics intact, i only need compression to soften the spikes.

Keep posting more of this great stuf and share the links with us, congratulations ;)

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1330688358' post='1561539']
Great reading Shep! I also use my comp in the end (signal path on my sig) and find it's the best place for it to tame all the spikes generated by the fx. I use the EBS because it doesn't add (much, i suppose) volume to to signal when you play softer so that helps keeping my dynamics intact, i only need compression to soften the spikes.

Keep posting more of this great stuf and share the links with us, congratulations ;)
[/quote]

Thanks bud, really means a lot that folks enjoy reading this stuff. Post your reply on the blog as a comment as well - it encourages others to post! :-)

Hopefully soon my blog posts will also be shared with the new 'Blog' tab at the top of the forum as well. I think the next post is looking like it will be Modulation vs Bass Frequencies...

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1330688713' post='1561549']
Thanks bud, really means a lot that folks enjoy reading this stuff. Post your reply on the blog as a comment as well - it encourages others to post! :-)

Hopefully soon my blog posts will also be shared with the new 'Blog' tab at the top of the forum as well. I think the next post is looking like it will be Modulation vs Bass Frequencies...
[/quote]

Done!

I'm waiting to learn about those modulations, i don't get on with that kind of fx, for me an octaver+fuzz+wah alone or combined give me all the sounds i need.

cheers

Cheers buddy!

Wah is a modulation! Depending on what you have, I'd assume its a band pass filter controlled by expression pedal... :-)

LFO's and the like can take some real exploration so I thought I'd work on a run down of all the 'basic' styles of modulation and LFO's and how they react to low frequencies etc with some listening examples... Gimme a week!

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1330701238' post='1561871']
Ok, i'll be watching this forum for the link.

My wah is a 3Leaf GR, it's a Lovetone clone and no expression, just plain simple auto-wah.
[/quote]

I know it well - It's on my pedalboard as well. My fav' envelope filter. :-)

[quote name='1976fenderhead' timestamp='1330712816' post='1562133']

er isn't wah a filter?
[/quote]

It is a band pass filter. When it starts being moved by your foot, or by auto-wah functions it is a filter being modulated. Modulation comes in many forms and is not really a 'effect' in itself. We class Phasers, Chorus etc as modulation and envelopes as filters but really they all come under the modulation 'family'.

If we want to classify them correctly then a wah would be a filter and chorus, flanger, phaser etc would be LFO's. Then both could be considered 'modulation-type' effects.