Why become a member? ×

Punk/Post-Punk Bassists.

Cabal

On 04/02/2018 at 00:05, Deep Thought said:

He’s not sounding too bad these days! I’d love one of the Carbonlites he plays now, but I don’t have that kind of money, or indeed the need for it. Mine does me fine for what I do. 

Nearest JJ esque Crunch i'v heard in recent years is Justin chancellor of Tool with his Wal.Immense live sound

Having taken the plunge and bought myself a bass last year almost entirely because I love what Hooky used to do with one it finally clicked why I was so drawn to "post-punk".. or even some of what was " actual" punk at the time... all about that bass lol

14 hours ago, jazzmanb said:

Nearest JJ esque Crunch i'v heard in recent years is Justin chancellor of Tool with his Wal.Immense live sound

Yeah, but Justin needs a 2-3 amp set up to do that. Last time I saw them his FoH sound was terrible, all treble and no guts. Very disappointing.

7 hours ago, bartelby said:

Yeah, but Justin needs a 2-3 amp set up to do that. Last time I saw them his FoH sound was terrible, all treble and no guts. Very disappointing.

If it gets results and you can indulge i suppose it doesn't matter what it takes

Opposite for me,Foh.Treble but with loads of bottom on it.

This is something no one mentions ,thousands spent on a rig which really is just a monitor then your sound guy loses you foh.

Edited by jazzmanb

On ‎10‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 10:41, bartelby said:

Well last night reinforced my opinion of Paul Gray. Him being back has lifted the whole band. He is just plain awesome!

Apologies to the "camera at gigs" haters. but I was at the front and kept it at chest height. :-p

IMG_8704.thumb.JPG.e9bf10ad74aa3a1efc4c79e9add7593b.JPG

He looked like he was enjoying himself at Glasgow... great gig... and his bass sound shines through brilliantly

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Rubbersoul said:

Ali McMordie of SLF is another great from back then - check out Gotta Get Away. One of the earliest lines I learned though was Warhead.

shame he's so low in the mix and his trebly sound doesn't help, Inflammable Material is so lacking in bottom end

1 hour ago, PaulWarning said:

shame he's so low in the mix and his trebly sound doesn't help, Inflammable Material is so lacking in bottom end

Yeah those albums haven't travelled well but great busy songs for learning your craft on 

Barbed wire love is great 

27 minutes ago, billynoband said:

I always enjoyed watching and hearing Paul Slack of the UK Subs as well as all mentioned in this thread. Paul Raven and J.J had the most stage presence of anybody for me. 

yes, he proved he's no slouch with the Tomorrows Girls bass line, imo the Subs were never the same when he left, I saw the original line up in 2008? when they got back together for a tour, Pete Davis on Drums, and it was just like the old UK Subs again, it showed, to me at least, the bass player does matter, no disrespect to Alvin Gibbs but it just wasn't quite the same with him on Bass

Edited by PaulWarning

More on the Goth side but no discussion of these kindof players is complete without mentioning Fields of the Nephilim's Tony Pettit. Has anyone out there ever successfully figured out what he's doing on 'Psychonaut'? I know it's some kind of delay pedal trick but it's been baffling me for about a decade since I first heard it. To say nothing of other more straightforward ones like 'Love Under Will' where the bass still absolutely defines the track.

Sadly the band are only a shadow of their former selves, and seeing them in December just gone left me disappointed (much like in 2011). But that was my first time seeing them since Tony rejoined and it was almost worth it just to see him tear it up. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ForestPoetry said:

More on the Goth side but no discussion of these kindof players is complete without mentioning Fields of the Nephilim's Tony Pettit. Has anyone out there ever successfully figured out what he's doing on 'Psychonaut'? I know it's some kind of delay pedal trick but it's been baffling me for about a decade since I first heard it. To say nothing of other more straightforward ones like 'Love Under Will' where the bass still absolutely defines the track.

Sadly the band are only a shadow of their former selves, and seeing them in December just gone left me disappointed (much like in 2011). But that was my first time seeing them since Tony rejoined and it was almost worth it just to see him tear it up. 

I haven't seen FotN since the Elizium tour. When I heard Zoon, I gave up on any new stuff.

This might give you some clue. Horrible sound quality and blurry, but obviously the person who filmed it is a bassist.

On 2/10/2018 at 10:41, bartelby said:

Well last night reinforced my opinion of Paul Gray. Him being back has lifted the whole band. He is just plain awesome!

Apologies to the "camera at gigs" haters. but I was at the front and kept it at chest height. :-p

IMG_8704.thumb.JPG.e9bf10ad74aa3a1efc4c79e9add7593b.JPG

Paul Gray is one of my favourite bass players. Rick haters really need to hear his bass sound on The Black Album & Strawberries - it's an awesome sound 
Paul is also a real top bloke. As a young player, back in the 80's, me & a mate just turned up at his house on a Sunday afternoon.... and cheekily asked for some bass lessons & tales of the Damned
And the top bloke just let us in to his music room!

We listened to demos, played his basses and he was just so good to us. Then he gave us his phone number and asked us back.... he later gave me a couple of freebie lessons
and I'm for ever indebted to the man, for the inspiration he gave me.

Decades later, I played at a local folk club (he was playing with a band "The Monte Dons") that night too. I came off stage, and he said "Well played Marc" to me. I didn't think I was anything above "OK" that night - but a positive comment from one of my inspirations made me feel 10 feet tall. :):) :) 

Great to see him in the Damned again. Nice pic bartleby - I was off to your left and a bit further back

My fave punk bassists were PG and JJ Burnel. Two quite different players, with a very different sound - but both fantastic players

• Like 1

We have recently started doing Elvis Costello's Pump It Up in our set. Bruce Thomas holds the whole thing together with that bassline, and the octave jumps to the top E really makes the chorus jump at at you.

Its a shame that EC sacked him. Easily the best musician in the band.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Marc S said:

Rick haters really need to hear his bass sound on The Black Album & Strawberries - it's an awesome sound 

Me and my mate had great sound at the gig. The satellite pa speaker, just at the bottom of the picture, gave us a great vocal feed, the drums and guitar cam from the main pa, but the bass was direct from the Ampeg. 

My mate has been following The Damned since, pretty much, day one. Back in the early 80s he nearly bought one of Paul's Rics, for £50.

31 minutes ago, bartelby said:

Me and my mate had great sound at the gig. The satellite pa speaker, just at the bottom of the picture, gave us a great vocal feed, the drums and guitar cam from the main pa, but the bass was direct from the Ampeg. 

My mate has been following The Damned since, pretty much, day one. Back in the early 80s he nearly bought one of Paul's Rics, for £50.

Was it the bright yellow one? Loved that bass. Played it myself a couple of times £50 - what a bargain :o

Edited by Marc S