Why become a member? ×

Punk/Post-Punk Bassists.

Cabal

[quote name='Pookus' post='383022' date='Jan 17 2009, 09:03 AM']Lou Barlow - Dinosaur Jr[/quote]

I always liked 'Where You Been' the most, I think that was Mike Johnson on bass though!

Joe Lally from Fugazi was the main reason that I started playing bass, I still love that band to this day.

Another vote for Kim Deal, and Kim Coletta from Jawbox, Jason Black from Hot Water Music and Dan Andriano from Alkaline Trio...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...

Yeah, Steve Hanley is another one, The Fall bass player for many years; some great primitive lines from him. 

JJ Burnel  - For me probably Rattus, with B&W a close second - That blues riff on Princess of The Street is just so filthy.

Jah Wobble - Poptones; I am always mesmerised by that bassline, simple but very effective. 

2 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Alvin Gibbs of The UK Subs was/is a pretty decent player. Decent bloke as well.

I'm currently reading his most excellent autobiography. I saw him back in '91 with Cheap and Nasty. 

2 hours ago, howdenspur said:

A shout out for Paul Gray, especially in Eddie and the Hot Rods guise.

Seeing him in a couple of weeks as he's back with The Damned. 

I'll add Tony James just for looking so cool in Generation X. 

9 hours ago, Cat Burrito said:

Seeing him in a couple of weeks as he's back with The Damned. 

I'm seeing them in Cardiff. Paul is one of my favourite bassists. 

I saw him play a couple of songs with The Damned last tour, I can't wait to see a whole set!!

21 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

It`s a great read, and sounded like a very intense wild time on that tour

I think if Andy McCoy was in my band, I probably wouldn't be looking to invite my parents to see a show xD

8 minutes ago, bartelby said:

I'm seeing them in Cardiff. Paul is one of my favourite bassists. 

I saw him play a couple of songs with The Damned last tour, I can't wait to see a whole set!!

Absolutely B|

On 03/10/2008 at 14:05, Cabal said:

Anyone up for discussing the finer points of Jean-Jacques work, Rattus through to La Folie? His sound and style changed somewhat after that, in my opinion.

Best Stranglers album for bass? Like i said, if i had to choose it would be Black & White, but i'm still amazed by the sheer sound on The Raven, every time Longships kicks in. Pretty much the ultimate Fender Precision sound for me.

Just got myself a shiny new MIA Precision. Not the first i've had over the years. Like JJ, i play though an old Hiwatt. Turned up full, i reckon i get pretty close to that Raven sound. :-)

Cheers,

Jake M

His solo album was his Signature sound,that and Black and White.Like you The Raven for me is his finest hour but more for the content and sheer uniqueness than the tone.The early stuff as well was brilliant,that bass was nicked at some point

On 03/10/2008 at 16:28, Deep Thought said:

Aaah, this is music to my ears. Took up bass after seeing The Stranglers on the 'Who Wants the World' Tour at the Cornwall Coliseum in 1980. I've said for years that 'Black and White' is my favourite album, but on reflection 'The Raven' has a better selection of tracks I like, including my favourite ever track (by any artist), 'Duchess', which has everything I ever wanted to hear in a song. I think 'La Folie' was the last of the classic recorded Burnel bass albums-after that he started being less apparent in the mix, although one of the best live shows I ever saw was on the 'Feline' tour, so he certainly didn't stop doing it live-until later.
I got my MIA Precision last year-see avatar-not the first I'd had but never had the black/black/maple one I'd always wanted.
Would love a 'TV logo' 70's one though. I think buying a Shuker JJ Burnel is probably going too far in paying tribute, not that I can afford one!
Have you seen the new lineup? I totally lost interest after Cornwell left-before, in fact, as the last time I saw the original lineup live they were bloody awful (JJ was totally inaudible), and I never bought '10'. Not at all interested until 2006 when they played near me at Helston. Out of curiousity I bought a ticket, only later finding out that Roberts had left. I was blown away, almost as good as seeing the old band-better, in fact by miles than the last time I'd seen them. I think Baz is doing a superb job filling Cornwell's shoes, and I'm back to being the huge Stranglers fan I was 20 years ago. Roll on the 24th in Exeter!
I've finally come to the sad realisation that I will never be JJ Burnel, and thus am trying to do my own thing in blues and R'n'B, with hopefully a little hint of JJ thrown in.
Oh yeah, 'Warhead' was my first bassline. Brown vinyl! Has Paul Slack been mentioned? SLF was my first ever live gig. Also a big Sisters fan, saw 'em four times in total. Other names I'd like to add are Greg Norton of Husker Du, Kim Deal of The Pixies and Chris Thompson of the Screaming Blue Messiahs, plus Philip 'John' Brennan from The Three Johns, one of my favourite bands, now almost forgotten it seems. Boy do I like this thread.

I Don't really bother with their gigs now but the Baz version is superb and i laugh at the bring back Hugh mob because for the last few albums and tours they were a shadow of their former selves.As you say the crunch ended around La Folie.That tour was my first gig also.The early gigs/albums he had that white mucky coloured bass which was a ton weight apparently ,also the Marshall cab he had had a blown speaker so it was unique sound.The bass was nicked and he got the well known Black P.

8 hours ago, jazzmanb said:

No ,heard some stuff with his drummer and a new guitar guy , Mesmetics or something like that 

Check out Ataxia. Lally, Frusciante and Josh Klinghoffer on drums.

Joe plays nothing more than the songs need.

• Like 2

On 30/01/2018 at 13:57, jazzmanb said:

I Don't really bother with their gigs now but the Baz version is superb and i laugh at the bring back Hugh mob because for the last few albums and tours they were a shadow of their former selves.As you say the crunch ended around La Folie.That tour was my first gig also.The early gigs/albums he had that white mucky coloured bass which was a ton weight apparently ,also the Marshall cab he had had a blown speaker so it was unique sound.The bass was nicked and he got the well known Black P.

Blimey my original post isn’t far short of ten years old now! I’ve now seen the Stranglers 21 times, and I did in fact buy a Shuker JJ mk.1 (no. 006) in 2009 which I still have. Still love seeing them live, will be seeing them in Bristol again next month. Although it’s a shame Jet isn’t with them live any more, I think Jim McCauley does a superb job. The green 60’s P bass wasn’t nicked, it got smashed in Sweden, but Jon Shuker repaired it and JJ still has it. In fact it was the black one which was the heaviest, but it had the better sound-the green one was lighter but lacking in the sound department-JJ’s Shuker signature model is meant to be an amalgam of both basses. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Deep Thought said:

Blimey my original post isn’t far short of ten years old now! I’ve now seen the Stranglers 21 times, and I did in fact buy a Shuker JJ mk.1 (no. 006) in 2009 which I still have. Still love seeing them live, will be seeing them in Bristol again next month. Although it’s a shame Jet isn’t with them live any more, I think Jim McCauley does a superb job. The green 60’s P bass wasn’t nicked, it got smashed in Sweden, but Jon Shuker repaired it and JJ still has it. In fact it was the black one which was the heaviest, but it had the better sound-the green one was lighter but lacking in the sound department-JJ’s Shuker signature model is meant to be an amalgam of both basses. 

Whoops ! Didn't check dates ,spot threads and assume they're current 

I thought all the gear got nicked hence the Sweden video with different guitars etc ? As much as JJ was my reason to start I by chance started on a jazz and have never really gone back .I Have a 90s jap 62ri Precision which is lovely but it's used in a more mellow way