Why become a member? ×

Whats this then ?

Prosebass

A customer of mine is after a pup for his bass...and before anyone says anything it was a tenner at a car boot sale.
Unfortunately my pups won't fit as the string spacing on them is too wide. On this bass its only 14mm at the pup itself.
I have asked him for a photo of the headstock.
Looks like a Kay or a Jedson to me but I' sure the Matsumoko or Jap Crap men may know better

Can anyone help identify or come up with a pickup for it....

Edited by Prosebass

[quote name='Darkstrike' post='298107' date='Oct 2 2008, 10:43 PM']DiMarzio Model One perhaps?[/quote]

I have just checked them out and they are £60.00 from Thoman....bass was only £10.00 I think he's after a cheaper replacement but cheers, I'll let him know.

[quote name='Prosebass' post='298101' date='Oct 2 2008, 10:39 PM']...and before anyone says anything it was a tenner at a car boot sale.[/quote]

A tenner's good. I paid £28 for a very similar one at a car boot a year or so back.

Sold it for about £140. :)

So - what is it? Not a Kay or a Jedson - Kay EB0-ish copies had a big scratchplate & two single coils, they didn't try to be too accurate, and Jedsons were bright metallic red, with twin humbuckers & a very odd German carve around the body.

This might say Avon, Columbus, Grant, Grantson, Shaftesbury, CMI, CSL, Arbiter, Eros, Antoria or even nothing at all on the headstock - but it's even harder to work out who actually made it - since all of the aforementioned were UK importers' rebrands.

Being copies, they do all tend to look alike, but sometimes there are some details which help them apart. For starters, this one has a squared-off fingerboard end, most of these tend to be round. There's also a dot on the 19th position, often they stop at the 17th. That doesn't provide a specific ID, although I have seen these features on Columbus copies.

Other things which are helpful include body construction - solid or ply, if solid, is it a "sandwich", single piece or other combination. Neck - single piece or laminate, does it have a volute, is the headstock scarf-jointed? Is there a headstock ornament? Hardware sometimes offers some clues, but not too much - many factories used the same stuff, but neckplates are often peculiar to or associated with particular builders, so a pic of that would help.

I can't help as far as new replacement pickups are concerned - but there is this on Ebay:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ibanez-Bass-Guitar-Pickups-EB34000-Type-Vintage-MIJ_W0QQitemZ140271724860"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ibanez-Bass-Guitar-P...emZ140271724860[/url]

If he wants a new one because the existing one's kaput, then this would likely be a drop-straight-in replacement. Chances are it's a single-coil, despite appearances, the smaller one with the twin rows of pole pieces is a single.

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='298187' date='Oct 3 2008, 12:24 AM']A tenner's good. I paid £28 for a very similar one at a car boot a year or so back.

Sold it for about £140. :)

So - what is it? Not a Kay or a Jedson - Kay EB0-ish copies had a big scratchplate & two single coils, they didn't try to be too accurate, and Jedsons were bright metallic red, with twin humbuckers & a very odd German carve around the body.

This might say Avon, Columbus, Grant, Grantson, Shaftesbury, CMI, CSL, Arbiter, Eros, Antoria or even nothing at all on the headstock - but it's even harder to work out who actually made it - since all of the aforementioned were UK importers' rebrands.

Being copies, they do all tend to look alike, but sometimes there are some details which help them apart. For starters, this one has a squared-off fingerboard end, most of these tend to be round. There's also a dot on the 19th position, often they stop at the 17th. That doesn't provide a specific ID, although I have seen these features on Columbus copies.

Other things which are helpful include body construction - solid or ply, if solid, is it a "sandwich", single piece or other combination. Neck - single piece or laminate, does it have a volute, is the headstock scarf-jointed? Is there a headstock ornament? Hardware sometimes offers some clues, but not too much - many factories used the same stuff, but neckplates are often peculiar to or associated with particular builders, so a pic of that would help.

I can't help as far as new replacement pickups are concerned - but there is this on Ebay:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ibanez-Bass-Guitar-Pickups-EB34000-Type-Vintage-MIJ_W0QQitemZ140271724860"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ibanez-Bass-Guitar-P...emZ140271724860[/url]

If he wants a new one because the existing one's kaput, then this would likely be a drop-straight-in replacement. Chances are it's a single-coil, despite appearances, the smaller one with the twin rows of pole pieces is a single.

J.[/quote]

thanks for digging your wealth of knowledge out for me, I'll get some more info on the bass.
Unfortunately the mudbuckers I sell have 17.5mm spacing.

[quote name='Prosebass' post='298101' date='Oct 2 2008, 10:39 PM']A customer of mine is after a pup for his bass...and before anyone says anything it was a tenner at a car boot sale.
Unfortunately my pups won't fit as the string spacing on them is too wide. On this bass its only 14mm at the pup itself.
I have asked him for a photo of the headstock.
Looks like a Kay or a Jedson to me but I' sure the Matsumoko or Jap Crap men may know better

Can anyone help identify or come up with a pickup for it....

[attachment=14280:PICT0223.JPG][/quote]

Saw this auction on Ebay earlier. Might be worth keeping an eye on, especially as the pickups appear to be old Japanese copies, making them from a similar period to the bass you've shown.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ibanez-Bass-Guitar-Pickups-EB34000-Type-Vintage-MIJ_W0QQitemZ140271724860QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item140271724860&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ibanez-Bass-Guitar-P...id=p3911.c0.m14[/url]

I read an article in one of the mags a few years ago about someone who needed a pickup for a fender mustang bass which is a small bass.

He unded up using I think a hot rails pickup where there is a solid bar across the top, as oposed to individual pole pieces.

That apparently worked well

[quote name='bumnote' post='301273' date='Oct 7 2008, 01:22 PM']I read an article in one of the mags a few years ago about someone who needed a pickup for a fender mustang bass which is a small bass.

He unded up using I think a hot rails pickup where there is a solid bar across the top, as oposed to individual pole pieces.

That apparently worked well[/quote]

That would likely have been a Musicmaster rather than a Mustang - the Mustang used a split pickup.

[quote name='neepheid' post='301349' date='Oct 7 2008, 02:08 PM']That would likely have been a Musicmaster rather than a Mustang - the Mustang used a split pickup.[/quote]

You are probably correct, its just a dim memory, anyway it would look pretty naff on that bass anyway

Edited by bumnote

• 4 months later...

Sorry to bump this but that looks like the first bass I ever owned. An Avon Rose Morris, made in Japan. ;)

[url="http://img469.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00119copysmall13ac.jpg"]http://img469.imageshack.us/my.php?image=d...pysmall13ac.jpg[/url]

Edited by Shambo