Why become a member? ×

Replacing pickup on Martin EB-18

surfguy13

Hi Guys

I have an old '78 Martin EB-18 which I love but I'd like to try and change the pickup just to get a different sound. It is a solid body bass and currently has its original Dimarzio Patent Applied For installed and it is surface mounted:

[URL=http://s956.photobucket.com/user/guymerchant/media/Martin%201978%20EB-18/EB-18%20Pickup%20002_zpssnf7wqjk.jpg.html][IMG]http://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae45/guymerchant/Martin%201978%20EB-18/EB-18%20Pickup%20002_zpssnf7wqjk.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s956.photobucket.com/user/guymerchant/media/Martin%201978%20EB-18/EB-18%20Pickup%20001_zps3kwftola.jpg.html][IMG]http://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae45/guymerchant/Martin%201978%20EB-18/EB-18%20Pickup%20001_zps3kwftola.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s956.photobucket.com/user/guymerchant/media/Martin%201978%20EB-18/1978MatrinEB-18003_zps51d8c5e8.jpg.html][IMG]http://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae45/guymerchant/Martin%201978%20EB-18/1978MatrinEB-18003_zps51d8c5e8.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

It's a 4-conductor pickup as it has some sort of boost installed (original) that thickens and slightly boosts the sound. The control cavity is laid out as below:

[URL=http://s956.photobucket.com/user/guymerchant/media/Martin%201978%20EB-18/1978MatrinEB-18022_zps048efe25.jpg.html][IMG]http://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae45/guymerchant/Martin%201978%20EB-18/1978MatrinEB-18022_zps048efe25.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

The dimesions of the pickup are:
89mm across
44mm wide
20mm deep

String spacing (centre string to centre string) 18mm.

I'm really wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction in terms of finding another pickup that would just drop in as that would be my preference. I simply haven't got a clue where to start looking or indeed what I should be looking for! I'm not exactly sure what sort of pickup I [i]am [/i]looking for to be honest, just something that gives me a slightly smoother sound I guess......a bit more P bass sounding.

Any help/advice would be very much appreciated.

Are you including the pickup ring in those measurements? Only reason I ask is that there might be a couple of direct replacement options - the Schaller Bassbucker (which to be fair is very similar to what you already have) or go active with the EMG-HB - an active P (rails) inside a guitar humbucker sized package. I used them on this Epiphone Les Paul and I think they sound great.

Oh, and I'm guessing that the "boost" you speak of will be a series/parallel switch (or a series/single coil - at work just now, no time to go tracing the wires in your photo to confirm) - series mode does tend to beef up the sound versus parallel or single coil wiring.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1469198705' post='3096583']
Are you including the pickup ring in those measurements? Only reason I ask is that there might be a couple of direct replacement options - the Schaller Bassbucker (which to be fair is very similar to what you already have) or go active with the EMG-HB - an active P (rails) inside a guitar humbucker sized package. I used them on this Epiphone Les Paul and I think they sound great.

[/quote]

Dead interesting, both options sound good. Sorry, I should have made it clear that the dimensions did include the pickup ring but the pickup itself measures 70mm x 38mm if that helps tie it down.

The EMG active pickups sound good and would probably have more range? Would this necessitate a battery and more wiring? The EMGs on the LP bass look pretty much identical to the picup on the Martin.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1469199058' post='3096589']
Oh, and I'm guessing that the "boost" you speak of will be a series/parallel switch (or a series/single coil - at work just now, no time to go tracing the wires in your photo to confirm) - series mode does tend to beef up the sound versus parallel or single coil wiring.
[/quote]

I think that it is series/parallel now you mention it. There's so little info on these basses as they only made 700'ish. It works really well and definitely offers two very different sounds.

Just been looking at the specs of the two pickup options that @neepheid suggested and they would both definitely work and will fit in terms of dimensions etc etc. However, I agree that maybe the Schaller might be more of the same in terms of how it sounds, certainly judging by the comments made by users which leaves the EMG. The installation kit looks straightforward and all very do-able but my only concern is that the optimum string width is under 2" (I assume over the pickup) and in the case of the Martin it is 2 1/8th. However, maybe it's optimum and not a firm spec.

This is probably a stupid question but are there any other options other than a straight like for like humbucker? Or does the existing pickup determine what can go in there? I just wondered if there were any options for basses as there are for guitar pickups where, for example, a P90 is fitted into a humbucker footprint.

I know the blurb on the page says < 2" but according to the instruction sheet, the max recommended string width for an EMG-HB is 2.1". 2.125" isn't that much different. It's up to you but I wouldn't be overly concerned about overstepping the mark by 0.025". I would guess they are talking about string width as it passes over the pickup. Looks like there's plenty room in the control cavity for a 9V battery ;) You would have to replace the volume pot with a 25k one, and you could either continue to use the pot and cap of your current tone control, or replace that too with an EMG-BTC (stacked bass/treble) for even more control with no physical modifications. The switch wouldn't be much use any more - perhaps use it as a kill switch?

Just thought of another plus for the EMG - it's available in an "ivory" casing, which might look better than the traditional black.

Other guitar humbucker sized bass specific option which comes to mind is TV Jones pickups (Thunder’Tron / Thunder’Blade / Thunder’Mag).

There's not much available off the shelf for bass in that form factor. I guess if you paid a custom maker enough you could have a single coil hiding in a humbucker casing.

Edited by neepheid

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1469220233' post='3096840']
I know the blurb on the page says < 2" but according to the instruction sheet, the max recommended string width for an EMG-HB is 2.1". 2.125" isn't that much different. It's up to you but I wouldn't be overly concerned about overstepping the mark by 0.025". I would guess they are talking about string width as it passes over the pickup. Looks like there's plenty room in the control cavity for a 9V battery ;) You would have to replace the volume pot with a 25k one, and you could either continue to use the pot and cap of your current tone control, or replace that too with an EMG-BTC (stacked bass/treble) for even more control with no physical modifications. The switch wouldn't be much use any more - perhaps use it as a kill switch?

Just thought of another plus for the EMG - it's available in an "ivory" casing, which might look better than the traditional black.

Other guitar humbucker sized bass specific option which comes to mind is TV Jones pickups (Thunder’Tron / Thunder’Blade / Thunder’Mag).

There's not much available off the shelf for bass in that form factor. I guess if you paid a custom maker enough you could have a single coil hiding in a humbucker casing.
[/quote]

What can I say but a BIG thank you for all the info and advice! :) I think you're right, the EMG makes perfect sense and if it's available in ivory then it will look right too. Great that the width isn't an issue, I guessed this might be the case and 0.025" isn't going to be an issue at all!!

The control cavity is huge and with only the two pots there's loads of room to install a battery and accomodate the new active wiring. I think I'd probably go with the EMG stacked tone as the more tonal options the better and I can just lift the two existing pots out complete and put them to one side in case I ever want to revert back.

I'm guessing that if I lifted the existing volume and tone pots out, and indeed the jack socket too as I see the EMG kit includes one, then the small electronic box would be bypassed completely? Therefore I guess I could just leave it in situ and install the EMG system around it?

I'll look into the TV Jones options as they sound interesting....never played a Gretsch bass but I understand that the TV Jones guitar pickups are really nice.

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1469350067' post='3097501']
The original pickup looks like a Dimarzio Model G. Basically an X2N with eight poles in place of the blades.
[/quote]

Can't tell you how useful that bit of information is!! I had no idea what the Dimarzio was and now I know. It was interesting to read a few bits about other people's experiences with this pickup and most if not all are very positive which tends to suggest that maybe it's me and not the pickup at all!! I guess I have little to compare it to as I no longer have my old P and the only other bass I own and use regularly is a '68 Jazz......probably not fair comparing the sound I get from that to the Martin.

Anyway, appreciate the info!!

[quote name='surfguy13' timestamp='1469269808' post='3097047']
What can I say but a BIG thank you for all the info and advice! :) I think you're right, the EMG makes perfect sense and if it's available in ivory then it will look right too. Great that the width isn't an issue, I guessed this might be the case and 0.025" isn't going to be an issue at all!!

The control cavity is huge and with only the two pots there's loads of room to install a battery and accomodate the new active wiring. I think I'd probably go with the EMG stacked tone as the more tonal options the better and I can just lift the two existing pots out complete and put them to one side in case I ever want to revert back.

I'm guessing that if I lifted the existing volume and tone pots out, and indeed the jack socket too as I see the EMG kit includes one, then the small electronic box would be bypassed completely? Therefore I guess I could just leave it in situ and install the EMG system around it?

I'll look into the TV Jones options as they sound interesting....never played a Gretsch bass but I understand that the TV Jones guitar pickups are really nice.
[/quote]

You won't be able to use the jack supplied with the EMG kit (without reaming out the hole and having some sort of mounting plate on the front) - it is a standard open jack socket, your bass uses a panel/barrel jack socket. If you're not sure if the barrel jack you have is stereo (and it might be a good idea to get a new one anyway) - Maplin do a suitable stereo replacement as found here: http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/neutrik-nys2203-635mm-stereo-long-reach-chassis-socket-n39gb

The small electronic box, I presume you mean the switch? There's no coil switching options with EMG-HB pickups so it won't be much use. I would lift the whole wiring loom - disconnect the pickup, the jack socket and the earth wire and lift the lot out as is - will make reverting to stock much easier should the need arise. However you choose to remove the innards - keep notes of where the wires go!