Why become a member? ×

" No mans land " The Somme and trench warfare, a track from axegoblinmusic

nashmonster

Hi, we are Axegoblin music ( a.k.a ellis-nash songwriters ) and we have written this track about the futility and outrageous waste of life during the battles of world war one, particularly trench warfare at the Somme. Whilst at the same time honouring the brave and fearless men that fought in the first world war, you will hear the voices of two tommies, their voices breaking with emotion and also a Wilfred Owen poem in the centre section, such a wonderful war poet who unfortunately died in the last throes of the war, he remains one of my greatest influences as a poet/lyricist.
Brainless tactics robbed so many thousands of young men of full lives and futures.
My own Grandfather Joseph Nash was seriously injured at the somme and Ady's great great uncle George William Bland was Killed in action 10/08/1917 at Flanders, we honour them here.
We are looking for opinions, a critique please, we would really appreciate that.
I'll attach my lyric sheet below.... and here is the link to youtube for you.
Thank you very much, Martin Nash.
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8lcF9A6fhk"]https://www.youtube....h?v=M8lcF9A6fhk[/url]
Any more info on us and our wide range of music please just email me , [email protected].

Edited by nashmonster

• 2 weeks later...

Is no one interested enough to make a comment ? I know its not a cheery subject but we owe those men and women so much, and when you consider that those men had to almost stop " thinking " as they went over the top, as any intelligent human would have known they were charging towards certain death, the alternative being shot for cowardice, an impossible terminal decision. Martin

the trouble with asking for opinions on songs is, deep down, you only want people to say how good it is, generally folk are too polite to criticise other people's hard work, I'm not saying it's no good, but, it's not my cup of tea, so I'm in no position to judge, it's rather like asking me to say whether the latest Kayne West track is any good

Edited by PaulWarning

Not a fan, I'm afraid, either from a purely musical point of view, nor from vantage point of historical retro-vision. I've no special sentimental sympathy for those who participated in these massacres, nor any other military subjects. Musically, I found it to drag through a quagmire of reverberation swamping a straining vocal over a sad arpeggio. Fitting, maybe, for the subject, but not something I wish to put between my ears. Sorry, but you did ask. No malice intended.

[quote name='nashmonster' timestamp='1470056354' post='3102933']... unfortunately dad3353 you almost certainly wont like our next one on waterloo.
[/quote]

One never knows; it's not a given. I quite like [i]some [/i]train stations. :mellow: