Why become a member? ×

Orlando-based guitar and bass stores

Musicman20

I'm off to Orlando, Florida later this year, and whilst last time, I did not bother even looking in music stores, I might take a bit of time out this time as it won't be as rushed a holiday.

Is it worth bringing back anything in terms of smaller bass and guitar technology?

There are a few American-made pedals I'd like, and perhaps even a new micro amp if it has voltage switching.

What is the deal with pedals? I realise standard Boss pedals take a 9V battery, but in terms of giving them power from a pedal board, (and forgive me for being stupid) are there any differences with pedals?

Cheers

^^^^ SNAP! Me too at the end of next month! :D

We're staying in Haines City, south of Orlando. Twas my first trip to Florida last Easter and had planned to do some shopping round but didn't get chance. This time will be an easier holiday with less theme parks so I've planned a trip out to Bass Central. Follow them on FB, have brought from them before and they're a great store.

Oh wow, I had no clue Bass Central were nearby! Thanks both.

I'll probably just browse and try a few rarer brands of guitar and bass that we don't see here, hopefully the new Musicman guitars and basses as well.

Might be tempted with a Tech 21 pedal as their prices in the USA are much lower.

It seems Bass Central have some amazing gear in.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='ozzy138' timestamp='1468925962' post='3094321']

Thoroughly recommend Bass Central......... Last time I was there I went in for strings but came out with a Spector...!!! So be careful.... 😃😃😃
[/quote]

Think I might know the answer to this, but how exactly do you get one home??

I would love a new Musicman guitar as they are the same price in US dollars as they are £, but I wouldn't want it in the cargo hold. I'm guessing you also end up paying a bomb if they decide to add charges when you bring in it to the UK?

I slipped off to Bass Central for an afternoon last time we were in Orlando, there's also Guitar Centers around the place - think the US PMT. Yup, Tech21 (that new Bass Fly Rig is a bargain over there compared to here), DR Strings, and pedals (you'll need another DC adaptor for the UK, but they're not much) all worth picking up for suitcase-stuffers.

I'm still kicking myself I didn't buy the Tonehammer 500 I found on sale at a GC, it was a complete bargain.

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1468929585' post='3094374']
I slipped off to Bass Central for an afternoon last time we were in Orlando, there's also Guitar Centers around the place - think the US PMT. Yup, Tech21 (that new Bass Fly Rig is a bargain over there compared to here), DR Strings, and pedals (you'll need another DC adaptor for the UK, but they're not much) all worth picking up for suitcase-stuffers.

I'm still kicking myself I didn't buy the Tonehammer 500 I found on sale at a GC, it was a complete bargain.
[/quote]

Oooooooo.

Better take some allen keys with me and leave some space in a suitcase coming back ;)

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1468927077' post='3094337']

Think I might know the answer to this, but how exactly do you get one home??

I would love a new Musicman guitar as they are the same price in US dollars as they are £, but I wouldn't want it in the cargo hold. I'm guessing you also end up paying a bomb if they decide to add charges when you bring in it to the UK?
[/quote]
Take the neck off and stick it and the body in separate suit cases

Probably over 10 years since I was in Orlando and went to Bass Central. If you're staying in the tourist part (near Disney etc.) the store is located on a 'strip mall' about 45 minutes to an hours drive away through downtown Orlando.
I must confess to being disappointed in that it was much smaller than I expected it to be. Long but narrow. I plugged in a Fodera Monarch (first time I'd ever held a Fodera). Not sure if it was the set up, but I thought it sounded crap for the money they wanted. I've owned GB's, Status, Pensa Suhr jazz, Alembics, Benavente, Kubicki, Zon etc.etc. so I think I had a fair idea of what a good sounding boutique bass sounds like.
My only purchase was a copy of Bass Player magazine.
YMMV of course & enjoy if you make the trek.