Why become a member? ×

Basslines from bands you wouldn't ever hear in your life!

Stance

So, I've come across this nice bassline, from Saigon Kick - not my type of band, but just love this bassline, and the whole song!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fQkJHf2O7Q

So, does anyone has their own favorite bassline, from a band they wouldn't listen (if it wasn't for [i]that [/i]bassline on that track)?

Cheers

On a similar note I just re-discovered what a cracking pop album Left of the Middle by Natalie Imbruglia is, purely from hearing Torn on the radio and actually listening to the bass line. So I'm now going back through a lot of 90s/00s pop music I'd previously written off and finding that it's mostly very good (not all of it obviously *shudders*)

Agree with Wham. Don't care for the music but the bassline on the awful Club Tropicana is excellent. Also of that time, Sade. The music is a snooze but there's nice fretless work on Smooth Operator and Paradise.
I'm certainly no fan of Rush either but I do like basslines on New World Man, Fly By Night and The Big Money

This! I can't even remember where or when I heard it first but the bassline hooked me.
It'd be nice to know what the guy is singing about but I just listen to it for the groove (I dig the brass bits too)! :happy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mC2GaJWKNTY

Noy strictly on topic but these are easily overlooked:
Tony Levin's work with Paula Cole eg feelin love
Jon Evans' playing with Tori Amos eg a sorta fairytale, riot proof, sweet sangria
Jon Thorne with Lamb on the Fear of fours album.
Tori Y Moi's first album has fantastic basslines, simple melodic and perfect.

Edited by Winny Pooh

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1468931985' post='3094406']
I despise Robbie Williams more than I can say but I can't help but admire the bassline to 'Rock DJ' chorus. Which is extra awkward as it's one of the most horrific songs ever recorded.
[/quote]

Ah man I used to love that song.

I'll throw in (up?) Love Is An Open Door from Disney's Frozen. The electric bass on all the soundtrack is Abe Laboriel. If you listen past the sugar frosting he rips it up on that track!

Edited by TrevorR

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1469381196' post='3097856']
I'll throw in (up?) Love Is An Open Door from Disney's Frozen. The electric bass on all the soundtrack is Abe Laboriel. If you listen past the sugar frosting he rips it up on that track!
[/quote]

Yes! The bass is great on that

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1469385425' post='3097905']
Abba might not be your cuppa char, but Rutger Gunnarsson's bass work was amazing. Dancing Queen is a masterpiece.
[/quote]
I agree, didn't realise it until I saw the film of Mama Mia on which I am told Rutger played. If he didn't someone did an awfully good impression of his sound.

[quote name='Grahambythesea' timestamp='1469448282' post='3098329']
I agree, didn't realise it until I saw the film of Mama Mia on which I am told Rutger played. If he didn't someone did an awfully good impression of his sound.
[/quote]

I believe Gunnarson is credited as bass and bouzouki on the film soundtrack.

[quote name='JonesTheCat' timestamp='1468880058' post='3094071']
On a similar note I just re-discovered what a cracking pop album Left of the Middle by Natalie Imbruglia is, purely from hearing Torn on the radio and actually listening to the bass line. ...
[/quote]

[url="http://www.soundonsound.com/people/phil-thornalley-torn"]http://www.soundonsound.com/people/phil-thornalley-torn[/url]

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1469449721' post='3098343']
A lot of Level 42 and Mark King is like that for me. Even Jaco, I get the bass and musicianship but not personally moved by a lot of it.
I know I'll be lynched :)
[/quote]

I have to agree about Jaco, I respect his style and the work and all but a lot of it goes right over my head if I'm honest. Then as with most volumes of work of that quantity, there are bits I can groove to.

Mark King made me notice bass in the eighties with The Chinese Way. I picked up my first bass guitar just after that, well, actually a left handed mate's to be precise. When I did get a righty of my own, I had to relearn everything. Ahhh youth.

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1469455261' post='3098409']
I have to agree about Jaco, I respect his style and the work and all but a lot of it goes right over my head if I'm honest. Then as with most volumes of work of that quantity, there are bits I can groove to.
[/quote]

I feel the same about Jaco - I respect what he did, and his work ethic, but, musically, it doesn't mean anything to me... Except for "Come on, Come over" with Sam & Dave - there, I've said it :)