Why become a member? ×

Payment etiquette - weddings/functions

Cosmo Valdemar

In a nutshell - should you ask for payment before or after the set? We've done a few weddings before but always for someone we've known. This Saturday we're playing a wedding without knowing the lucky people beforehand. So far the groom has been the contact and he's been flakey to say the least - we were actually recruited quite late in the day for reasons unknown - either the previous band pulled out or maybe he's just spectacularly disorganised!
We've been given a small deposit but aren't sure how to proceed with the rest of the payment. The rest of the band are insistent on money upfront or we don't play but I'm worried that could come across as confrontational.

Cant speak for anyone else or what is "the norm", but we don't ask for it beforehand.
Sometimes they will offer it before, and that case we'll take it.
If not, we usually either ask the best man/maid of honour after the event.
I would say in 90% of the cases though, we haven't had to ask

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1468844468' post='3093681']
Get a contract sorted.

We ask for 25% on booking confirmation and the rest paid in full two weeks before the big day. That way the band get paid and fuel covered
[/quote]

As things are picking up, this is definitely something we need to be looking into.

Get a contract sorted.

We ask for 25% on booking confirmation and the rest paid in full two weeks before the big day. That way the band get paid and fuel covered
[/quote]

Yup, this. If you're doing function work and are commanding the sort of 'wages' you should from this work then make sure you are covered. If you need contract advice, then join the MU and make use of their extensive resources.

Not confrontational at all. You should definitely get paid before you play. Send an email to the groom stating that you will need payment in full, at the latest, at the venue prior to show time. Request acknowledgement and confirmation - if he fully intends to pay then it shouldn't be a problem for him. NO DOUGH! NO SHOW!

If you don't know them and it's a professional function gig then it's got to be a contract for sure. When I was in a pro function band it was all contracts, PAT certificates, public liability insurance and so on and so forth. Normal wedding insurance (if they have any) won't cover public liability. It's a form of business insurance. Luckily I didn't have to deal with any of it, my personal arrangement with the band was cash from the band leader directly after the gig.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1468846654' post='3093713']
Given that probably everyone else is being paid up front, no reason why the band shouldn`t be.
[/quote]
What happened to brown paper envelopes stuffed with cash....

Get a contract sorted.

[/quote]
Yep, that's the way to do it.
We always specify in the contract how we want the funds paying as well, i.e. bank transfer into the band bank account.

Did a few with the outfit a couple of bands back. From what I recall it was always paid on the night, much as mr hackenbacker has detailed above. It wasn't our main business though. We didn't advertise ourselves as a 'wedding band' per se, we just picked up a few off the back of pub gigs. No horror stories though.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1468850432' post='3093749']
No horror stories though.
[/quote]

I'll pile in if anyone posts a horror story... I'm not starting it, though. 99.9% of the weddings and functions I've done have been fine.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1468855527' post='3093797']
The only weddings I've ever played were my sister's, and Paul the Drums' brother.

That's two weddings, not one.

They weren't marrying each other or anything.

Bottom of a hole ... stop digging.

:rolleyes:
[/quote]

You Ok down there or do you need a rope? :D

The best man will have the cash, along with loads of other cash he is holding for paying various people at various points during the day.

He'll want to get rid of it as soon as possible. I'd suspect he'll approach you as soon as he can.